Thread: Stonewashing and corrosion

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Stonewashing and corrosion

I've always heard or read that a VERY smooth surface on metal is easier to protect against corrosion than a rough surface. I think the subject was on scratchy vs mirror edge bevels. Either way this makes sense since a mirror finish has less places for moisturer corrosion to hide and form but I have no experience either way.

Does anyone have any info on stonewashed blades being harder to protect against corrosion or not?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Well, with modern stainless steels it shouldn't as much of an issue. Consider the grind finish that Spyderco uses on most of their blades these days...that texture is probably around the same depth as the scratches your pebbles put into the blade, they're just in a different pattern.

In ancient times they polished blades to keep rust at bay, but they were also using carbon steels. Samurais didn't have VG10

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?