Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I estimated this price earlier based on previous pricing.

I anticipate it will be (within a dollar of) Manix 2 XL - $202, Yo 2 - $220.
    Sounds realistic. I am not sure if I buy any. I kind of like both of them, but not 100%. Also I am still didn't figure out, why would somebody needs S90V on SD knife?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    Sounds realistic. I am not sure if I buy any. I kind of like both of them, but not 100%. Also I am still didn't figure out, why would somebody needs S90V on SD knife?
    I think this appeals more to the utility user crowd, unless there are people slashing enough zombies that they're concerned about edge retention...I know I am

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    It's for when you have to cut through thick leather and canvas. It's for winter SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I think this appeals more to the utility user crowd, unless there are people slashing enough zombies that they're concerned about edge retention...I know I am
    David,
    Do you use Yo2 as utility knife? I am not a fan of Wharncliffe, but there is something in Yo2 blade, which is catching my eye. S90V makes much more sense for Manix XL, but I am thinking about getting Yo2 for a while.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

David,
    Do you use Yo2 as utility knife? I am not a fan of Wharncliffe, but there is something in Yo2 blade, which is catching my eye. S90V makes much more sense for Manix XL, but I am thinking about getting Yo2 for a while.
    I've used my Yo2 as a utility/big boxcutter and it works amazingly. That high hollow grind keeps it super thin behind the edge and the point seems weak but it's held up a lot better than I initially thought it would. I've been bored and wanted to see how well it would cut up boxes and I only ever needed about 1/2 an inch behind the tip to reduce an XL pizza box to shreds. The pizza was also delicious, I couldn't move for hours haha.

The Yo2 also works well in the kitchen, from my experience. The fine tip is easily controlled when needed for delicate precise slices, while the heel of the blade can be easily forced through tough meats. I got bored one night and too lazy to grab a kitchen knife while eating salami and watching TV so out came the Yo2 and suddenly all my salami was sliced and in front of me. I thought it would catch once it hit the grind/plunge (not sure what its called but its where the hollow grind starts) line but it didn't. Didn't even need to saw through it, just a straight push cut. The straight blade also helps protect the rest of the blade, because you either hit the tip first, or the entire blade. No belly to start dulling first. although because of this, I have had to sharpen the tip more than the rest of the blade so the tip is sweeping up a bit.

Hope this helps! For what it's worth, I am definitely getting the Yo2, love the regular production version so the S90V one should be even better!

Thank you for input. Probably I need to get production Yo2 to make an intelligent decision.
    George Orwell

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    David,
    Yeah I don't carry it for SD, all my knives are work knives so utility is all it sees. I have done some food prep, and though it isn't the ideal blade for it you can pinch grip the handle/pivot and it chops pretty decent since the edge is lower than the handle. Really the only time you will feel hindered using a wharnie is when you cut on a flat surface as you would on a cutting board, or if you had to skin something. Otherwise a wharnie uses full power throughout the entire edge when slicing and will make short work of pretty much anything you need to cut. I like to think of a wharnie as the perfect balance between a hawkbill and a standard bellied blade, which is essentially what it is. They do a great job at pull cuts too, not as well as a hawkbill obviously but better than a Para 2 will. If you find that you use the tip a lot then you need a Yojimbo 2.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I like the idea of a S90V Yo 2 for work, and a S90V Manix 2 XL for general carry.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

David,
    Thank you.
    Would you take Yo2 over para or Manix as your primary EDC? Or Yo2 will make a good second knife?
    As all of us I use a tip, when I need, but I cannot say a lot. I never used hawkbill. The only time, when I wish I had it, it is when I need to cut vines on my yard.
    R
    George Orwell

I will definatly get the yojimbo 2.I have a bb Xl allready and it is two big to edc so I don't need another.the yojimbo though I love. A carbon fiber will be destin to become a hard to find classic.it bet it will clime in price like gold

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    Looks like the CF Manix2 XL in S90v will be here in time for Xmas. (If things go as planned)
    The price will be $225 with Free shipping in the USA. Limit 2 per person.
    I am really looking forward to this one!

More S90v & CF please.......

Spyderco Forum Registered User black's Avatar
    Damn. I wanted both (yojimbo and manix xl) to arrive at the same time and pay for shipping only once (it's $50).

I wonder if their website will survive this one . This is a knife I *really* must have . I guess checking their website daily won't be enough, will have to check continuously.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Damn. I wanted both (yojimbo and manix xl) to arrive at the same time and pay for shipping only once (it's $50).

Yojimbo = 2014

Spyderco Forum Registered User J32A2's Avatar
    Did you give them a call for that info?

Quote Originally Posted by J32A2 View Post
    Did you give them a call for that info?
    You could say that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Thanks for the update, I plan on getting one of those.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by MCM View Post
    You could say that.
    Did you ask about preordering?

Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    Did you ask about preordering?
    If they don't do some sort of pre-ordering then we will all be buying from flippers for $300+.

Tell me that up front so I can just go ahead and order the S30V version and save myself the agony.

Quote Originally Posted by bdblue View Post
    If they don't do some sort of pre-ordering then we will all be buying from flippers for $300+.

Tell me that up front so I can just go ahead and order the S30V version and save myself the agony.
    Lol maybe not. The Military Cruwear Sprint can be found for like 190ish on the bay.