Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buendia518 View Post
    Sadly I got my new s90v manix xl yesterday and just put a big chip in it from the edge of a metal table, but at least it's getting some good use.

BTW advice sought... would most of you try to sharpen out a 1mm deep chip that's an inch from the base of the blade? Or would you live with the chip and let time take it's course and multiple sharpenings get rid of it?

My jaw dropped when I looked at that chip
    Ouch...

A chip like that would also bother the hell outta me, but I guess the sensible thing would be to sharpen it out over the next few sharpenings (that would be years for me). Otherwise you waste a lot of good steel. Pics !!
    Hans

Military (S90V, M4, M390, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390), Gayle Bradley, Manix LW, Native 5 S110V, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE, South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    I should just find someone to grind me a nice combo edge

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Aarg no man.....

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Sadly I got my new s90v manix xl yesterday and just put a big chip in it from the edge of a metal table, but at least it's getting some good use.

BTW advice sought... would most of you try to sharpen out a 1mm deep chip that's an inch from the base of the blade? Or would you live with the chip and let time take it's course and multiple sharpenings get rid of it?

My jaw dropped when I looked at that chip
    For me it depends on 2 things: 1, I always reprofile a knife as soon as I start using it. If it still has the factory bevel, I would just reprofile it out. 2, if I had already done a reprofile job, it depends on where and how deep the chip is. For small chips I usually just do a good sharpening job since it'll remove easy and I get rid of it that way. If it's deep and in the high use areas of the blade where it's likely to snag and get on my nerves, I remove it. If it were deep and close to the tang, I'd live with it. Something else to consider for very big chips, is hit them with a tapered rod and turn them into a serration. That way at least that spot is still sharp and will cut, and will slowly go away with regular sharpening.
    Last edited by Evil D; 11-27-2013 at 05:26 AM.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    MCM, what on earth is the pseudo-small block valve, in real life???

A real valve from SONGS unit 1 back up diesel generator. Was designed for an ocean liner in the 40's. I helped overhaul it twice in the 80's.
    It was a V20 twin turbo (maybe a V24 its been a while) Like land of the giants hauling a piston and rod around on on a pallet & fork lift.

More S90v & CF please.......

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I always reprofile a knife as soon as I start using it. If it still has the factory bevel, I would just reprofile it out.
    I'm still a novice sharpener so bear with me, but I probably should not go about that with sharp-maker diamond stones right? at least not to get the optimum results?
    I assume when you re-profile a factory edge you do it to get a preferred angle that I couldn't achieve. I have been wanting to upgrade my sharpening setup so maybe this the right time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    My guess is S90V will take many hours on the SM, even with the diamond stones, to get a 1mm chip out. Even on the Edge Pro it will take a few hours.

Belt sander?

Or else send it to Spyderco for a sharpening.
    Hans

Military (S90V, M4, M390, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390), Gayle Bradley, Manix LW, Native 5 S110V, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE, South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Quote Originally Posted by Brock O Lee View Post
    My guess is S90V will take many hours on the SM, even with the diamond stones, to get a 1mm chip out. Even on the Edge Pro it will take a few hours.

Belt sander?

Yeah I'd thought of sending it in. I think there's a fee to remove chips but it may be worth it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I finally received mine! Original delivery date was seven days ago. USPS is probably slammed right about now in the holiday season.

My goodness... I am now a fan of the Manix XL with this, my first. It's right up there with my Millies and Enduras as far as larger blades go (so far). It's incredibly light, fantastic all around. Wish I can afford a second one right now. Dangit.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Belt sander?

Sharpmaker, yes. Edge pro, probably 5-10 minutes depending on how bad the chip is. You just have to use the right stones. I regularly chip and repair my 20CP with no problems at all.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Dang, KW is offering 5% off... but it seems that it will not apply to this exclusive.
    Site says "We will put back for sale on Tuesday 12/3/13."
    Their sale is from 5pm today 'till Dec. 2nd.
    Well it would have only been an $11 savings anyway.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    30 more of these due in Tues.
    Just to up-date........

More S90v & CF please.......

Ouch...

A chip like that would also bother the hell outta me, but I guess the sensible thing would be to sharpen it out over the next few sharpenings (that would be years for me). Otherwise you waste a lot of good steel. Pics !!
    You know what, when I said one mm I was way off so pics probably would have been helpful but I don't have a camera. It's probably 1/3 mm or less but still pretty notable. I might buy an edge pro but I haven't researched it yet. My first impression is I won't get to use it enough to justify owing it.

Thanks to all three who responded to my dilemma. For the time being I'm just gonna use this knife like it was free.

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    You know what, when I said one mm I was way off so pics probably would have been helpful but I don't have a camera. It's probably 1/3 mm or less but still pretty notable. I might buy an edge pro but I haven't researched it yet. My first impression is I won't get to use it enough to justify owing it.

Thanks to all three who responded to my dilemma. For the time being I'm just gonna use this knife like it was free.
    Sharpmaker diamond rods will work fine if you have them.You can do it on the med rods, but I would do it over a few days so you don't get fatigued.It will take some time, but is well worth the effort.This is a good way to practice and hone your sharpening skills.This will not be the last chip you have to sharpen out if you use your knives regularly.My wife chips the kitchen knives and I sharpen them.She wonders why I look at her funny when I see her put a knife in the sink..........

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Howe has 5 CC's up again!
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User black's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IG-88 View Post
    Howe has 5 CC's up again!
    I really would like to bet one from Howe but I don't like a random number ruining the looks of my blade.

MCM, RadioactiveSpyder, shunsui, and Henry -- get both --
    thanks for the beautiful photographs, but you're wearing me down. I'm having to carry this one every day to try to convince myself I don't really need CF model

MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List, new stuff: 4V Mule; Midnight Blue Lt Wt Manix2 S110V sprint; Caly 3.5 new Japanese supersteel sprint, pref in Foliage Green G-10; New Stretch prototype CF slab/ZDP test sprint! (or super blue if any happens to be left over and lying around!); an alternative, 2nd default G-10 regular production color, such as FG, coyote, tan, etc, to be introduced gradually on some knives
    Old stuff: FG Millie D2 & Manix2 CTS-XHP

Just got a shipping notice from KW! I wasn't one of the first 100 orders so it looks like they've got another batch coming in and shipping out

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Just got a shipping notice from KW! I wasn't one of the first 100 orders so it looks like they've got another batch coming in and shipping out
    Their website said they had a batch of 30 coming soon, maybe you are getting one of those.

Decided to go for it and order one, whoops

I wonder if these'll be run at a higher RC rating than the Manix 2 Cf/S90V. I remember reading that they were around a RC rating of 59 whereas the para's and millie's were in the RC 60+ range.
    Not that I'll notice, but it would be nice to know.