Thread: Thanks to YOU: a Forum Native and a Caly 3.5 and .....

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sully's Avatar

Thanks to YOU: a Forum Native and a Caly 3.5 and .....

Joined your forum when my Delica4 was surprisingly deemed "unrepairable" and Spyderco graciously offered me the $179.95 MSRP to replace it from the 2014 catalog. I had sent that "well-loved" Foliage Green G-10 Delica4 in to be sharpened (mostly)....so that clearly shows you how much I knew about high-end pocket knives.

You may remember my five threads (out of control!) from last month. Well, you all patiently answered my questions, offered wise (almost used "sage," almost) advice, generously shared not only your opinions but also your personal experiences. With your accepting friendly attitude and vast knowledge about knives with a round hole in the blade, you encouraged this knife newbie to learn more. To appreciate. To discuss. Ya got me hooked too!

I may not amass a treasure trove of glorious Spydercos like many of you -- due not only to restrictive-knife-fund-issues, but an overwhelming anticipation of a pricey sprint run of a gorgeous, exotic LEFTY-specific Spyderco _________. (wishful thinking only, sorry fellow lefties.) Anyway, having fewer does not mean I appreciate Spydies any less.

With that said... I HAVE ONE!

And one on the way! Suddenly they're children???

Well... meet my kids:

2013 Forum Native
    (still very much being babied)
    Thanks for graciously parting with one of your beloved twins, Paul.

Caly 3.5 Black G-10
    (my LEFT hand is expecting next week-ish)
    Thanks to Spydercos W&R Dept., the "credit" they issued and $30 begrudgingly tapped from my Lefty-Specific Spyderco Knife Fund.

Thanks to all, but special gratitude to the following ENABLERS: RadioactiveSpyder, Apophis, The Deacon, bh49, Evil D, LC KId, phillipsted, xceptni, DougC-3, 3rdGenRigger, RanCoWeAla, timlara, Revival, Bierv, gbelleh, Lefty.Mike, razorsharp, JNewell, senorsquare, fanglekai, billy blade, kbuzbee, Spydersense, Strong-Dog, bearfacedkiller, dgebler,this_is_nascar, Mr. Blonde, sal....

Listing names...not my best idea. (Sorry, I no doubt left off some of you who helped me, directly or indirectly.) Just wanted to take the time, as you ALL certainly did that and more for me.

Talk knives soon,
    Sully

(Stunning macro-photo of my 2013 Native Forum Knife goes here. If only I had joined Nikon's Forum....)
    “Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!”
    Mr. Burns, The Simpsons
    Other Lefties: Da Vinci, Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, Aristotle, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Gates, Babe Ruth,'The Great One'...

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    You picked two very nice and very popular knives. Congrats.

If you are happy then I am happy. I was a long time lurker turned recent poster. It was the friendly attitude and willingness to help of everyone on here that really drew me in. That and the charecter that Sal and the folks at Spyderco have. That character has drawn in forumites of similar character and produced a truly unique and welcoming forum.

I'm really just still learning a lot myself so I doubt I was much help but with all I have learned here I try to contribute and give back when I can. Thanks for the mention.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    I'm happy to be an enabler when it comes to quality knives.

Congrats on scoring a 2013 forum knife. I missed out on one , but when the 2014 comes out I'll be all over it.
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Sounds like two good choices! Waiting on the photo, it's rare I find another southpaw interested in cameras and Spydercos. I wholeheartedly recommend the LH Military to any other Lefty in need of a solid user!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, Super Blue Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, Super Blue Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Yojimbo2, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, Super Blue Stretch

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User c.joe's Avatar
    You won't find this kind of unconditional friendship in any other forum. It's the exact reason why I left a couple others. Left me with too many butterflies in my stomach.

Nice score!
    -Chris
    chrisjoe67@gmail.com

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Hi my name is Landon and I am an enabler! Congrats on the children and your excellent choices so far. Clip is my default go to when I have a lefty question regarding knives. he speaks the truth about the Military. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by c.joe View Post
    You won't find this kind of unconditional friendship in any other forum. It's the exact reason why I left a couple others. Left me with too many butterflies in my stomach.

Nice score!
    Very nice
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up Proudly Enabler!

Hi Mr Sully!

And Thanx Much for including me in your 'Enablers' list.

I'm way more than happy to know that you were lucky enough to get such a wonderful pair of Spydies, and I'm pretty sure they're just the first ones of many more to come.

And from now on, please enjoy them!
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Well... meet my kids:
    2013 Forum Native
    (still very much being babied)
    Thanks for graciously parting with one of your beloved twins, Paul.
    Caly 3.5 Black G-10
    (my LEFT hand is expecting next week-ish)

(Stunning macro-photo of my 2013 Native Forum Knife goes here. If only I had joined Nikon's Forum....)
    Congrats on your new knives and use this Native, you will be pleasantly surprise how it goes through cardboard.
    Also do not rush to join Nikon's Forum, it will be much more expensive than all knife forums combined
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Sully, you are most welcome! That Native certainly will be much more loved (and used hopefully!) in your hand versus sitting in my closet as a safe queen! I am carrying mine today, so don't be afraid to use yours too! You will love the Caly as well, as I and others have said so many times. You have picked two of the very best knives Spyderco offers, although that LH Military seems right up your alley too, always need something on the what's next list!

Just my small attempt to pay forward the great reception I myself have had in this forum since joining a year ago. I have learned a great deal from so many here and several members have helped me build my own crazy collection. It certainly is a special community, and we're glad you've joined! Cheers, Paul
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User timlara's Avatar
    Welcome to the club, Sully! My apologies to your wallet...but hey, there are much worse addictions out there to have, right?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    2 excellent knives! Congrats!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sully's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    I wholeheartedly recommend the LH Military to any other Lefty in need of a solid user!
    Clip, you (and many others) belong on my "enabler list." I spent way too much time "Under the Microscope" to forget a fellow Southpaw. Do hope to get my 'hand' on the LH Military ASAP.

RadioactiveSpyder, rest assured, I will use the Forum Native. Just intently appreciating her first. Admittedly irrational, but uncontrollable. With 200+ Spydies, was hoping ya might understand a wee bit.

Mr. LC KId, already enjoying.

c.joe, mildly proud of myself for getting your butterfiles reference. And thanks.

timlara, yes, there are other "much worse addictions" out there. But no Spydie Rehab, as far as I know....not very far.

Caly 3.5 cannot get here soon enough! BTW, so jealous of all of you with the uber-cool gray SB version. I'm so anxious to put my Caly to work I will probably attempt to use it to open the very box it comes in. Hmmm, the SuperBlue Caly 3.5 might even struggle with that.

Thanks again to all Forumites!
    Last edited by Sully; 03-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    “Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!”
    Mr. Burns, The Simpsons
    Other Lefties: Da Vinci, Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, Aristotle, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Gates, Babe Ruth,'The Great One'...

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Those who know carry Spyderco
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule Team (K390), Manix2 LW Black, Ulize, Chokwe
    Saver Salt, Lava (Blue G-10), 2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Titanium Damascus)

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    Thanks for the shout-out!

I'll jump on the left hand Military bandwagon too, although you should probably enjoy your recent acquisitions for a while

Not sure how hard to find they are getting, but I was able to get mine brand new for $99! They were listed as discontinued, but Sal mentioned a while back that they may do additional runs in the future. Still amazed that they made them at all, as Evil D pointed out in another thread, it's a niche within a niche and then some.