Thread: A Little Bit of Love for the C78BK Native III

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar

A Little Bit of Love for the C78BK Native III

I had the good fortune of stumbling across this NIB Native while doing some research recently. I thought, “It can’t be a Native III. It’s probably just an old stock photo.” After doing a little digging, however, I discovered it was legitimately a Native III. I held off for a few weeks on buying it (thanks in part to the temporary paralysis I received from the Amsterdam thread ). However, it was the last Native III left in stock and the asking price was just under $70—with free shipping to boot. Too hard to resist. After opening it up on Friday night, I was very pleased to find the lock to be rock-solid. No play whatsoever. The grind lines in the VG-10 blade are very symmetrical and even. In all honesty, I really couldn’t find a thing wrong with it. (I think I actually like the feel of the Native III better than my Native5. Call me crazy, but it’s just a bit more comfortable in my hand). All in all, I’m very pleased with this purchase. I only wish I could’ve picked up one more to keep as a “pre-need replacement!”

Here are a few things I like about the Native III over the current Native (C41BK):

Rounded choil. I really like how the III has a perfectly rounded choil vs. the C41BK’s round/flat-like choil. True, it really doesn’t make or break the situation for either knife, but I think the fully rounded choil is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    Wire clip. I’m a huge fan of wire clips on most of my small to medium-sized Spydies. Having a wire clip was a real bonus for me.
    Top swedge. Again, just being picky here, but I really prefer the swedge of the III over the C41BK’s swedge. The C41BK’s swedge just doesn’t look “finished” to me. I like how the III’s swedge continues along the spine in a nice, continuous grind.
    Bi-Directional FRN. Just a personal preference, but I really like the Bi-Directional FRN over the “spider web” type pattern on the C41BK.
    Steel. I don’t consider myself to be a steel snob by any means. Good old VG-10 holds an edge well and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance or upkeep. (S30V is great stuff too, don’t get me wrong. I just like the high-polish attributes of VG-10 vs. the “grainy” texture of S30V).

Here are a few pics for comparison:

C78BK
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=61

C41BK
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20

And here are a few pics of my own (sorry for the lack of quality ):

Notice the designer's mark on the rear-most tip of the handle.
    Last edited by SpyderNut; 03-09-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    My first Spyderco was a Native and I really loved it like it was a $300 folder (even though it cost less than $60). The Native III never really grabbed my attention and when it did, I thought it looked cheap. My two regrets just fell upon me when seeing your pictures..... that jimping looks terrific and damn, I missed the fact it was VG-10. Thanks for the informative thread.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User timlara's Avatar
    Great pics, SpyderNut! And for the record, I second every single one of your bullet points. Even though I definitely appreciate all the engineering that went into the improved lock/pivot on the N5 (got em both), the III will always be a true classic in my book.

And I can't believe I never noticed the Sal mark in the FRN!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I love that knife! I hope to "stumble onto one in the future! Great buy!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Yea, the jimping and swedge look awesome!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Sweet looking knife, agreed on the swedge and jimping
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I like my Native III a lot. I like the swedge too. But, I don't carry or use it much, mainly because of the thickness in the pocket. But it's an interesting knife that I'm glad to have in the collection.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. The jimping is one thing I forgot to mention. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like it as it appeared fairly aggressive. But after playing with it for a bit, I decided this style of jimping is actually pretty comfortable--and pretty unique looking too. I agree with you, gbelleh, regarding the thickness of the III's handle when in the pocket. Perhaps this explains why the current Native is quite a bit thinner. This kind of makes me want one of the brown FRN Native CTS-XHP models now.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi