Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manix2 154CM or CPM-S30V?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cameron's Avatar

Manix2 154CM or CPM-S30V?

I am thinking of picking up a Manix2 Black Blade and I don't know which steel they are made from.

The Manix2 I have is 154CM, and the print Catalog I got from Spyderco this week says they are CPM-S30V, then the website says 154CM????

If the Manix2 DLC is CPM-S30V I will probably go up an buy one this weekend.

Cameron
    Assist VG-10 Dodo CPM S30V Endura4 VG-10 Manix2 CTS-XHP, CPM-Cruwear, CPM-M4, CPM-S110V, CPM-S30V, CTS-BD1, 154CM Manix2 XL CPM-S30V
    Native CPM-S30V Para-Military2 CTS-204P, CPM-S30V Sage3 CPM-S30V Tasman Salt H1 Temperance2 VG-10 Yojimbo CPM-S30V Yojimbo2 CPM-S30V

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    There will be a rolling change if I am correct. I think that the price or each is so close now that they will be moving to CPM-S30V. Eventually all the Manix 2's will have CPM-S30V. I have some of the 154CM models and they are just awesome. I don't think that people give enough credit to 154CM. Good steel.

Peace!
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

I agree, 154cm is such an under rated steel. I have a few fixed blade with 154 and they perform outstanding. I think the only advantage on the S30v Manix 2 is that it will be full flat ground.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DedRok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgulbra View Post
    I agree, 154cm is such an under rated steel. I have a few fixed blade with 154 and they perform outstanding. I think the only advantage on the S30v Manix 2 is that it will be full flat ground.
    I also agree. 100%

I find that 154CM is one of the easiest steels to sharpen if you need to do it yourself.
    Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'll take 154CM...and hollow ground. I don't see either as an improvement to the M2.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    I really like the edge that 154CM takes.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    Wait, if the new ones are FFG, will they still be offered in Spyderedge?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    Full flat ground? When was that announced? To my knowledge it will remain a hollow grind (thank goodness). A bit of variety. I like my manix in 154 CM. A search for Longish term review DLC Manix should pop up my review I did and it has been a real workhorse.
    "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I really like the edge that 154CM takes.
    Yeah, I'm with Chuck on this. I like it, and CPM 154 better than I like S30V, which is high praise. I do like S30V very much. I mean for stainless steels of course.....

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

I am getting the XL in S30V, should be in my hand next week, can't wait..

At one time, wasn't 154 the standard for edge retention?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Chuck on this. I like it, and CPM 154 better than I like S30V, which is high praise. I do like S30V very much. I mean for stainless steels of course.....

Joe
    Joe, I am sure it was just a typo but 154CM is the ingot version and CPM154 is the particle/powder version.

If it was CPM 154 I doubt we would see a change as it is a fantastic all around steel for user and maker with a high obtainable hardness and fine micro structure. I have used the similar powder version RWL-34 for some time and it can take a high polish as well as a toothy edge and hold it well.

According to Crucible data 154CM and CPM 154 have the same wear resistance, however with the advantage of the particle process and finer carbide structure the particle version can take a much finer edge and resist chipping or rolling (I believe this is an increase in strength if I remember my metallurgical terms correct).

I am still waiting for Spyderco to do something with CPM 154 or RWL-34....it is a dream that seems will stay but a dream.
    "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/

154 CM is a pretty good all round steel, I do find that S30V holds a useble edge a bit longer for me (my use, my sharpening) but 154 takes an edge easier. Pretty much a toss-up where I am concerned.

I am hoping for some sales on the 154 models so I can pick up a CE to go with my PE. If not, I may look at the new lightweight in CE to try out the BD1. I am not a "steel snob" as the value of most supersteels are lost on me but I do like trying new stuff out.

A 154 CM Manix pretty much blows away anything I even dreampt of having or using when I was younger.

I like to get me a manix2,never handled one before,little bit sceptic about the lock,have i to worry about it!if not i'm good to go for it.
    Cameron,nice signature
    Μολων λαβε=come and get it
    Are you greek??sorry for asking.

What's this about all Manix2's going FFG? Even the CE/SE versions?
    All God's critters have knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I think the FFG is a misspeak. The 2012 catalog has S30V Saber.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Agree completely. I find S30V a bit hard to sharpen but 154 is easy and they perform about the same.
    Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Full flat ground? When was that announced? To my knowledge it will remain a hollow grind (thank goodness). A bit of variety. I like my manix in 154 CM. A search for Longish term review DLC Manix should pop up my review I did and it has been a real workhorse.
    Yes, please, more hollow-grinds done right.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Yes, please, more hollow-grinds done right.
    +1000000....000. Few more..00000.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Both are excellent materials. 154 CM is an ingot material, very similar to VG-10. S30V uses a powder metallugy process to process.. Both hold a good edge well, S30V edge lasts longer, but 154CM keeps a super fine edge just a bit longer and is easier to sharpen. This is from what I've read I need more play to go further
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"