Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lionspy users please stand up !!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Yeah, that's an expensive swap, the odds of getting good pictures of or finding out about it are slim.

Sorry for off topic.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Drh, thank you. Much appreciate the effort brother. And the bronze is my choice as well for the sr-1.

Nemo...
    Your threads and pics of the lionspy are what have got me to love the look of this knife. We can not make users chime in to offer their thoughts or oppinions. Our chatter does keep the thread on top allowing more people to see it. When I get one i will report back.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    I've been using mine, but not that much I must admit. It does cut with confidence, no worries at all if you're 'hurting the tip' (or the edge) like I had in the beginning with my beloved Des Horn model (slowly working on a review). When it came to sharpening, I did need a little extra practice to properly sharpen the curvy tip on my Sharpmaker. I must admit that switched back to the much lighter transluscent blue Manix with the excellent warm weather we've been having last week. The FRCP Manix disappears on shorts, whereas the LionSpy would be a bit of an anchor when clipped to shorts.
    Last edited by Mr Blonde; 06-04-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

I have the Gray Titanium Lionsteel SR1 still in it's box and never carried or had the clip installed.
    I bought it to carry, but just can't bring myself to do it as I feel it may be a little big for my daily.
    So I bought an Orange Aluminium model SR1 to carry for a while. 1/2 the price.
    It's definitely growing on me.
    But, before I carry my TI Sr1, I am going to try a Lionspy. It's 4th on my list on knife purchases this year. Pre-ordered a Techno and have a Yojimbo 2 on order (since Feb).
    3rd is a Fluted TI Military, then the Lionspy. The way it looks, the Lionspy will be had before the fluted Millitary, tho, just can't find one.

I will let you guys know once I get it back from spyderco. Had to send it in due to a few reasons. 1. ungodly hard to close. 2. The grind was very uneven, which lead to a great issue with #3. 3. The knife was very off center + only got worse with repeat open + closing [only had for a week and did not use it on anything besides ruled paper], tightening/loosening the pivot didn't help. 4. The jimping was very unevenly done. From the top it looked like sideway V's. Not sure if people had any of these issues as well. But I will update when I get mine back [sent it to Spyderco warranty].

Besides this my first impressions:
    Lock up is solid, I love the "twack" sound it makes when you deploy/open it. It is a beefy folder for sure, with a huge belly, works great in tandem with its tapered grind [similar to the grinds on axes so you can imagine the work this boy can do]. Which in itself is a very interesting blade grind on a spyderco knife imo . I prefer to just stick it in my pocket vs clipping it. the tool it came with was very loose in contact with the clips screw. luckily I still had a dpx hest tool remover [don't get me started on those knives x.x had 6 in my lifetime, all returned]. But its just something I noticed, it doesn't matter to me either way since you would rarely need to use that feature imo.
    Hope to do a yt review of it after it comes back. Sucks it came this way since I do love this beefy folder! And the spydie hole does make the opening so much better than the thumbstud on this!

Heres some pics, can't call foul without proof

Quote Originally Posted by Phrenik View Post

Heres some pics, can't call foul without proof
    WOW, that is bad. I think you got a lemon, it happens.
    But when it's you it happens to, that will ruin your day.
    I hope you get a new knife out of it. That blade jimping can't be fixed, it has to be replaced.
    Both of my Lionsteel SR1's are of excellent quality. I will come back when I get the Lionspy this summer.
    Good luck, my friend.

Knives are hand finished, even in bigger shops? I mean I guess someone dropped the ball but come on. Thats pretty bad. And yes i know, spydie will fix it and crap happens but well you get what im sayin.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    It's no fun getting a lemon, especially at this price point. My LionSpy has none of those issues, so hopefully you'll get a nice replacement.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Talking

Sr1 inbound

Spyderco Forum Registered User jeru's Avatar
    I know this thread is more than a year old, but I'm thinking about a LionSpy too. (The first thing that's holding me back is that I am one of the very few knife nuts on this planet, who really hates tip-up carry, especially on bigger knives. But I'm sure a good knife-pimper/-maker like Tuffthumbz or Pete Gray can make a nice custom tip-down carry clip on it for me.) What worries me more though is the amount of the (at least somewhat) negative reviews on the LionSpy. Like I started, this thread is more than a year old - in the mean time a lot of well-known/experienced Youtubers have posted vids of this knife: I get the feeling that the 'lemon' Phrenik showed us here above is not really a lemon, but more likely 'the rule rather than the exception' (if that is correct English). Anyone any thoughts on that or experience with, after fourteen more months since this thread started?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...yderco+lionspy

I don't know about that. The people with problems are always the most vocal. My LionSpy is pretty close to perfect. Whenever I'm worried about reported problems with a knife, I find a dealer who is willing to carefully check it over before shipping. That's always worked out for me.

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    gbelleh, what is this awesome background you use for so many of your glamour shots?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    gbelleh, what is this awesome background you use for so many of your glamour shots?
    Looks like the top of an antique trunk, to me...?

Yes. It's an old trunk. It's right in front of a large window, and makes a pretty interesting backdrop for photos.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I got a new in box one through a trade, the action was kinda slow and difficult to get open.

I got a factory second, the action on that one is wonderful. Everything operates perfectly. I haven't even looked to figure out the flaw, it seems flawless to me.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    I know this thread is more than a year old, but I'm thinking about a LionSpy too. (The first thing that's holding me back is that I am one of the very few knife nuts on this planet, who really hates tip-up carry, especially on bigger knives. But I'm sure a good knife-pimper/-maker like Tuffthumbz or Pete Gray can make a nice custom tip-down carry clip on it for me.) What worries me more though is the amount of the (at least somewhat) negative reviews on the LionSpy. Like I started, this thread is more than a year old - in the mean time a lot of well-known/experienced Youtubers have posted vids of this knife: I get the feeling that the 'lemon' Phrenik showed us here above is not really a lemon, but more likely 'the rule rather than the exception' (if that is correct English). Anyone any thoughts on that or experience with, after fourteen more months since this thread started?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...yderco+lionspy
    The Lionspy is a very nice knife. I was hesitant to buy one initially due to the unlined G10 scale. Now i am glad i did buy it. It's a tank. Very nice and will turn heads!

JD

Buy one without a doubt... mine is more perfect and more beautiful then any of my knives... by a long shot!

Best quality knife in own. Dethroned my Crk umnumzaan if that means anything at you. Even if you don't end up using it, it's one hell of a knife for collection purpose. . . Its like having a ferrari parked in your garage. Even if it's not used, you can still take it out for a spin and be blown away by its looks, build, and engineering.

100% awesome knife. . . I'm trying to rotate it in my EDC rotation, but just can't put it down. So at this stage, I carry my Ferrari in my pocket, and then another that goes through the usual rotation process. I'm such a nerd, I know. ..

I love and beat the crape out of mine without any problem

Spyderco Forum Registered User KrisOK's Avatar
    I love mine. Now I'm on the prowl for an SR-1

EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jeru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
    The Lionspy is a very nice knife. I was hesitant to buy one initially due to the unlined G10 scale. Now i am glad i did buy it. It's a tank. Very nice and will turn heads!

JD
    Thank you for your reply. It's funny how preferences can differ: I really LOVE that the G10 scale is unlined. I would really be turned off if the heavy LionSpy would also have an extra (in my opinion) unnecessary heavy liner. (The only reason that I can't get myself to try out the PPT - besides the non-swappable pocket-clip for tip-down carry - is because of the ridiculous liners. I really wish they made that knife with just G10 on one side and a R.I.L. on the other.)

Thank you all very much for the replies!! I really appreciate that.

JD