Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lionspy users please stand up !!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemo3000's Avatar

Lionspy users please stand up !!!

Hi,

I have tried to gather some Lionspy opinion on another forum but those felines are rare on the edc rotation....

the Lionspy is not a classic knife:
    A very thick blade.
    A not so pointy shape.
    On open construction which ask for wearing some gloves on the long run.
    A short clip which ask some adjustement for drawing the knife easily.
    A redondant rotoblock: do you use it or never use it ?

But this compact tool has also some strenghts: you wont be able to break the tip for example. You can use it for light chopping.
    This is also a flatground with a convex edge, which is very stropping friendly.

OK, now who is using a Lionspy ?
    Please share your experience and photographies.

I will do the same. This afternoon I was able to easily cut into two inches of hard wood. Pushcutting parallel to the tree.
    This is the big advantage of having this kind of big belly blade pattern: "thrust cutting". :-)
    This is not something I can do with my Milly for example.

So who else own and use a Lionspy ?
    Share your experience in cutting and sharpening.

cheers
    Nemo

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar
    I lie and spy, but thats probably not what u wanted.
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I own a LionSpy, but I don't carry it. Mainly because the blade shape is not the most useful for the tasks I generally do. Also, the pocket clip is difficult to use (IMO), and prone to catching on things. Finally, it's just more knife than I need 99.9% of the time. The Para 2 remains my EDC of choice.

The LionSpy is, however, very well built and beautiful to look at and handle. I appreciate and enjoy owning it very much, even if I don't use it hard.

My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

I have notice that the first portion if the blade near the tip needs to be razor sharp or the absence of pointy tip is painful in normal use.
    About the clip once you have found how to pull out the tip of the clip first then the knife comes easily. But this is true this small clip is not as confortable for fast draws as other "classic" hourglass spyderco clips.
    But is it still manageable.
    :-)
    Last edited by Nemo3000; 05-31-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks for posting Nemo, I don't have the Lionspy, but keep looking at it and am interested iN
    what people say about it. THat's quite a bit of coin for something that I am not 100% sure
    of how I would use it. I am waiting on the Tuff and Szabo, so I have some dollars that are
    spoken for. I like the tank knives though and this one has tank written all over it. Well maybe,
    how do you say tank in Italian, maybe Lionspy.
    Last edited by BAL; 06-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAL View Post
    Well maybe,
    how do you say tank in Italian, maybe Lionspy.
    "Carro armato" or just "Armato" ! :-)

The Lionspy is a pleasure to carry and it is compact abd extremely low profile thanks to its deep carry short clip.
    The belly blade ask for another way to cleverly use the potential of that beast. Again, the user need to adapt to find his own approach.
    Opening a letter with a Lionspy is not as easy as with a Millie or a C22 Michael Walker BUT once you get use to the shap of the blade it is muche easier than with a Captain ! :-)
    Also my Lionspy is a joy to use for trimming branches once again you learn how to handle it effectively. Light chopping is real plus for fast trimming. Here my Lionspy is really helpful for easy and no worry fast job.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Wolverine666's Avatar
    I too continue to eye ball the LionSpy. I do not own one and I haven't yet handled one. But I like a nice thick bladed heavy duty beauty like the LionSpy. The heaviest i carry currently is the Manix2. But That LionSpy could very well make it's way to my pocket.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRH's Avatar
    The more I handle the LionSpy, the more I enjoy it .... and its Maniago cousin ... the SR1-B.

-------------------------
    My Spyderco Collection (Total Spydies: 17)
    All My Knives
    (Updated 4/4/2014)

Dennis in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo3000 View Post
    I have notice that the first portion if the blade near the tip needs to be razor sharp or the absence of pointy tip is painful in normal use.
    My custom Torpen "Le Cafe" has a similar blade shape and and I found that to be very true too! The portion near the point needs to be very sharp or it will not work. It is a blade shape that takes getting used to.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I have two HEST Folders with the Rotoblock and the Blade shape. I agree that it is not a very useful blade shape, but I've gotten some use out of them. It is nice to carry as a backup to a smaller Spyderco, it and a Dragonfly are tough to beat.

I have never used the Rotoblock other than to test it.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

A blade with such a Belly offers a lot of thrusting power on a support like a cutting board for example.
    One of my favorite test is to let my 80 yo mother in law to use my knives as she is very handy with them.
    She has been able to ruin edges (like on my old Benchmade AFCK used to cut salad in her garden... meaning cutting also earth...).
    For the Lionspy she needed a good knife to prepare two rabbits before to put them in the cooker.
    After she handled the knife, and considering the heft she used it as a cleaver !!!
    Cutting and chopping bones.
    As I was on kitchen duty I did not have my camera that time, but next time, I'll do it.
    Of course when she finished to use she did not rinse it and let it in the sink, all bloody and dirty.
    (She is not taking any care with any of her tools. Even cut some rabbit directly on a plate (ruining it). No respect for any knives or plates at all...)
    OK long story short, my Lionspy was "desacralized" but the edge was not damage. (When she has been able to ruin a BG42 Sebenza blade or M2 HSS Nimravus edge before...go figure.)
    Next week I will picture the massacre. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DRH View Post
    The more I handle the LionSpy, the more I enjoy it .... and its Maniago cousin ... the SR1-B.

Great pics of those two magnificent knives. The main difference are the opening methode and the butt of the handles (rounded on the Lionspy).
    About the handles: I have noticed (my hand and palm had noticed first actually) there is a lot of space on the back of the handle between to two slabs. Also the liners are not square but gently profiled making them biting into the palm or in the pushing thumb easily.
    Again user adjustement is mandatory, pushing on the hump of the blade not on the handle or holding the handle by not resting the space between the thumb an the index finger on the handle. :-)

Every tools got their own learning curve.

I am extremely torn between which of these two to purchase. I absolutly think the spydie hole is the number one way to open a knife(in my opinion). The mono-block is what drew me in to this design in the firstplace. Then their is the steel difference. I can not decide. *shrug* guess i have to sell a kidney to decide for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I am extremely torn between which of these two to purchase.
    Well, If I had to rate one over the other, I'd have to give the LionSpy a slight "edge" over the SR1. I find the SR1 more visually appealing and innovative, with its one piece (great looking) titanium handle. That same quality, however, makes the knife a little more difficult to handle, because it is, by nature, more slippery. For me, its really a small issue. Where I give the slight edge to the LionSpy is in two areas. The Spydie hole makes it slightly easier and quicker to open. Secondly, I just prefer the Elmax over the Sleipner steel. That's more of a subjective thing on my part .... both appear to be great steels and sharpen to a super edge. While I have not actually sharpened the SR1 yet (just kept the factory edge honed with leather strops .... chromium oxide, diamond spray, and plain leather) ... I have sharpened and used a DPX Gear HEFT Woodsman, which uses Sleipner. Overall, however, I don't think you can go wrong with either ... if this is the type knife you are looking for. As for the subtle differences ... you will notice that the butt of the LionSpy is a little more rounded than that of the SR1. Also, the lock bar on the LionSpy is thicker than the lock bar on the SR1. Therefore, I find disengaging the lock bar to close the SR1 a little easier than the LionSpy.
    All My Knives
    (Updated 4/4/2014)

Dennis in PA

DRH, thanks for the info. Very comprehensive rundown of the two. I thank your for that. Not being able to handle both ahead of time just makes this a tough decision. Might go with the aluminum first just to check it all out with a little more reasonable entry price in comparison.

Another vote for the lionspy is the grippines. I would have to beadblast an sr1. Not a big fan of slick ti. But the spy just looks so much wider. I edc'ed a manix 2 for awhile. Anyone got a closed shot comparison? Just want to put how wide the lionspy is into perspective. Thanks

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I wonder if anyone has tried a blade swap.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If someone has I would love to see it and know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    DRH, thanks for the info. Very comprehensive rundown of the two. I edc'ed a manix 2 for awhile. Anyone got a closed shot comparison? Just want to put how wide the lionspy is into perspective. Thanks
    Jeff ...

Here you go (measurements follow after pics):

Measurements: (width ... thickness [without clip/with clip] ... length)

Manix2 ........ W-1.75" T-.463"/.631" L-4.67"

SR1 ............ W-1.63" T-.591"/.726" L-4.67"

LionSpy ....... W-1.96" T-.604"/.718" L-4.66"

Hope this helps. Overall, they are pretty close in length and only slightly different in width and thickness. All measurements were taken at the largest/thickest sections of the knives.
    All My Knives
    (Updated 4/4/2014)

Dennis in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    That will remain a mystery until someone tries!! The question was asked over on the LionSteel area of Blade Forums back in February. Gianni at LionSteel replied: "more or less they have the same geometry... but I can not guarantee you that it works."

There have been no replies since.
    All My Knives
    (Updated 4/4/2014)

Dennis in PA

So far.
    Dreaming of buying one...
    Handling...
    Measurements and comparaison...
    Even dreaming of blade swapping.
    BUT who is actually using them ?

Back to the topic please. :-)