Thread: Product photography - Dodo

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar

Product photography - Dodo

Hey guys,

Always enjoyed taking pictures, but mostly it's been outdoors shooting landscapes/waterfalls/etc. Tonight I was at the store and grabbed a piece of posterboard to use as a backdrop as well as a few big work lights. Ended up using a smaller set of 3 lights on a stand for lighting, but this marks my first attempt at product photography with decent results. Still need to work on reducing the shadow a little, I've been playing around with the idea of 'floating' the knife on a piece of glass. I'd love to hear tips/tricks/advice from others on this topic, as there's always room for improvement. Didn't do much processing to the pictures with the exception of using a Datacolor Spydercube to set white balance and exposure.

Camera is a Canon XSi with a 100mm f/2.8 macro.

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Looks really good. The light seems to be nice and even and doesn't leave very hard shadows. My only suggestion is using some photo-editing software to tweak the color a little bit. The camera I use is a bit older and really struggles to accurately reproduce the bright oranges, yellows, and blues that Spyderco uses on their knives, with my pictures coming out a bit flat and almost pastel looking at times. Photoshop has a great little tool called "Vibrance" which boosts the color intensity without getting the unnatural look that is normally accompanied by "Saturation" bumps (it looks like you're using CS3 and I think "Vibrance" was introduced in CS5).

Here's the same picture but with vibrance set to +37, I tightened up the levels for black and white points, and added a little S-curve to increase the contrast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jabba359; 05-08-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added picture
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips Kyle!

I shot these in RAW (Camera Raw 4.6) and I think Vibrance was an option. I took it up to 6 or 7 on most and took the saturation up to 2 or 3, looks good your way!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Nice pictures, thank you.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Chris,
    Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. Keep them coming.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters