Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 131

Thread: Nano-Oil for Sal

  1. #41
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    I also have been using nano-oil for a couple of months now and I am really impressed with its performance, even on my old Military the blade flies open.

    I think the best performance is achieved on phosphor bronze washers, however I also used it on my custom Terzuola ATCF which has some kind of teflon washers, and the knife opens like its running on ball bearings.

    Only a very small drop of nano-oil is needed, I still have my first 10cc bottle and now its about half full and I already used it on dozens of knives.

  2. #42
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by SQSAR View Post
    This stuff sounds great. Has anyone used it on high precision / high load bearings like those found in in-line speedskating wheels?
    Here is the Nano-oil site. Scroll down to "Suitable For:" It mentions roller bearings. Email them for very specific and thorough info.
    http://www.nano-oil.com/index.html

    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  3. #43
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    58
    So this stuff is strictly for lubrication; we'd still need to use a different product for cleaning and to serve as a protectant, correct?

  4. #44
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    So this stuff is strictly for lubrication; we'd still need to use a different product for cleaning and to serve as a protectant, correct?
    Here are quotes from parts from an email from me and the reply from Christian at Nano-oil:


    I asked
    Is Nano-oil primarily for lubrication or does it provide a corrosion barrier as well?

    Christian replied
    Nano-Oil is an excellent moisture/anti oxidant barrier...

    I asked
    How long should one application last?

    Christian replied
    As far as how long the anti friction can last ?? many months for sure even years depending on the application,
    some computer fans that where not turning anymore are still running after years of one application as reported by more then one client/user, wish I could tell you more,
    once embedded, only sand paper can really remove the anti friction element in Nano-Oil.

    Me again
    I think Nano-oil is as good as any oil for corrosion resistance and probably better than most. I think it would be all I need for corrosion control because my knives and tools don't really get exposed to conditions where corrosion is a big risk. But I'm going to continue to use Tuf-Glide. I'll apply it to a new knife, let it dry and then use Nano-oil. I'll use Tuf-Glide every few months and reapply Nano-oil. I believe this is overkill in a big way but when it comes to what I care about I worship overkill and I'll be able to sleep at night. I will still want to use Tuf-Glide on areas with no friction like the blade.


    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  5. #45
    Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Posts
    4,118
    So I used the 85 weight on the garage door opener. It's a worm screw (AOT a chain drive) and can only be accessed from below. Primarily because of that, I've used spray lubricants in the past. Something I could spray up into it.

    First, let me say this stuff is thick. VERY thick! Think molasses from the fridge thick. You have to squeeze for all you are worth just to get a drop to appear at the end of the applicator. In some ways, this was a good thing as the 10 weight is impossible to get up onto the threads. The 85 weight stays up on the tip and is easily transferred upward.

    I'd guess total I applied 8 drops along the length of each screw and ran the door a couple times to distribute it. I would have liked to get a bit more onto it but squeezing it is so difficult I just couldn't Was it enough? I really don't know, but I think so. It clearly smoothed it out. If I reapply, I'm thinking of trying a small paint brush, rather than the needle applicator.

    Haven't used the 10 weight on any more knives but the ones I did are still running smooth and quiet.

    Ken
    玉鋼

  6. #46
    Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    662
    Applied several drops of Nano-Oil to the o-ring and threads of my brand new, unlubed and bone dry JetBeam TCR1 titanium flashlight. Opening and closing it felt neddlessly difficult. I fail to understand why, of all things, an expensive Ti flashlight is delivered with totally dry threads, even I know Ti is prone to galling. But that's beside the point.

    Anyway, lubed the o-ring and threads with Nano-Oil, opened and closed the light several times and now it's smoooth. Also oiled the brightness-adjustment ring very sparingly, which felt somewhat scratchy before, now it's smoooth too.

    Haven't tried it on folders yet.

  7. #47
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    I got one of the metal applicators for Nano-oil for the purpose of being able to put a TINY bit of oil anywhere. I HIGHLY recommend no one buys one. Great idea, bad design. Mainly the needle is to thick. It won't fit in the pivot of a Chaparral. Also, I just opened mine, pressed the button and a big drop dropped out. The plain needles we are used to are as good as I've seen and will keep using them.

    Jack
    PS edit:
    I forgot to mention, before I ordered the pen I had asked Christian about the pen in an email and he told me the needle was too big and he did not recommend it. He is an honest person and I'd recommend his company and Nano-oil to anyone.

    Jack
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 05-07-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  8. #48
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Brief update:

    Nano-oil is still performing great on Gayle Bradley, Sage1, Jester, and a few others and some tools. I gave some to my son to try without saying how I liked it. He mentioned a few days later how he could now adjust the pivot on his Delica tighter than ever and the blade is still very smooth and moves easily. He noticed this on his own without any mention from me. He said it was obvious.

    I ordered some 5 weight to try. It is supposed to flow down into rusty bolts to free them. I'm REALLY hoping this is true. A siezed bolt or nut is really a headache maker. I'm also thinking it will flow into any joint easier. It is not supposed to last as long though. Can't have anything I guess. You are supposed to be able to mix the 5, 10 and 85w oils to obtain the viscosity you like. This is a very interesting feature. I don't really need to do that but I'm sure it's useful in some situations. It is thinner than the 10w and that is it's purpose. Ordered directly from Christian's site and getting a little gift also. Waiting to see what car I'm getting.


    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  9. #49
    Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Ordered directly from Christian's site and getting a little gift also. Waiting to see what car I'm getting.
    It's a little key chain LED slide knife... It's "cute" but won't replace a Jester

    As for the 10 weight. Still working well in mine. Interested to hear your impressions of the 5 weight. Sounded VERY thin.

    Ken
    玉鋼

  10. #50
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    It's a little key chain LED slide knife... It's "cute" but won't replace a Jester

    As for the 10 weight. Still working well in mine. Interested to hear your impressions of the 5 weight. Sounded VERY thin.

    Ken
    5weight came today. Gotta hand it to Christian on his shipping practices. I put some on my FRN Manbug, G-10 Manbug and Sage4. They are all smoother (little bit) immediately. I don't know if it's because of the lighter weight or just a fresh application. The oil is definately thinner. It disappeared between the tang and liners FAST. Being so thin it is supposed to get into a rusty bolt/nut fast. That's really what I wanted it for. The 5w is supposed to evaporate faster but leave the nano-bearings for lubrication. We'll see. I'll see how the knifes are working in a few days.

    I'm really liking being able to tighten my pivots more and the blades still being as easy to move as when the pivot was looser. This should help big time with knives that have blade play that is hard to get rid of without making the pivot tight.

    The little knife/LED light/screwdriver he sent is pretty nice. The light is plenty bright for it's size. The blade tip is cut off creating a small flat screwdriver. It's a useful keychain tool I think if you aren't as picky as we are.

    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  11. #51
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    10
    Have been using Ballistol for years on guns, knives, leather etc.

    Meets my needs. No problems, no complaints.

  12. #52
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern NH
    Posts
    83
    I'm a new Nano-Oil user but, so far, it is working great.
    Mike

  13. #53
    Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post

    5weight came today. Gotta hand it to Christian on his shipping practices. I put some on my FRN Manbug, G-10 Manbug and Sage4. They are all smoother (little bit) immediately. I don't know if it's because of the lighter weight or just a fresh application. The oil is definately thinner. It disappeared between the tang and liners FAST. Being so thin it is supposed to get into a rusty bolt/nut fast. That's really what I wanted it for. The 5w is supposed to evaporate faster but leave the nano-bearings for lubrication. We'll see. I'll see how the knifes are working in a few days.


    Jack
    Put some 10w on the tang of my Tekna Hidden Edge yesterday, which always felt very gritty when opening it. Today, it's much better already.
    Btw, it can't be disassembled without ruining it.

    Ordered a 5w Nano-Oil one ounce bottle today. It may well outlast me!

    Thanks, Jack, keep us posted, please! My Tekna is not an EDC or a user.
    Last edited by skatenut; 06-04-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo

  14. #54
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    402
    I just got my 10 weight today in the mail that I had ordered when I first started reading this thread. So far it's taken my Nishijin R which was really difficult to flick open no matter how much I tried breaking it in and it's noticeably easier to open immediately.
    ...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...

  15. #55
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by FroOchie View Post
    I just got my 10 weight today in the mail that I had ordered when I first started reading this thread. So far it's taken my Nishijin R which was really difficult to flick open no matter how much I tried breaking it in and it's noticeably easier to open immediately.
    I like to open the pivot a lot, drop in the oil and work the blade quite a bit. This makes sure the oil gets into the pivot or joint thoroughly I think. Then tighten the pivot to where you want it. Since using Nano-oil I can tighten the pivot tighter and the blade still pivots smoothly and with ease. I believe this will make it possible to get knives with a blade play problem fixed without having to deal with the blade being hard to move.

    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  16. #56
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I like to open the pivot a lot, drop in the oil and work the blade quite a bit. This makes sure the oil gets into the pivot or joint thoroughly I think. Then tighten the pivot to where you want it. Since using Nano-oil I can tighten the pivot tighter and the blade still pivots smoothly and with ease. I believe this will make it possible to get knives with a blade play problem fixed without having to deal with the blade being hard to move.

    Jack
    I was going to try that but I really didn't want to have to tweak a brand new knife though I knew I needed to. However, the oil seeped right into all the crevices and after opening and closing the knife a few times it's perfect now. This is a knife I've been pocketing a few weeks so I'll be looking for permanent change vs a quick fix.
    ...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...

  17. #57
    Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    662
    An update on Nano-Oil and it's owner, Christian StClaire:

    ordered a one ounce bottle (30cc) of 5wt. oil which was sent by Nano-Oil on June 4. Christian was kind enough to add a free LED light/keyring knife and to mail it without shipping charges.

    Sent him a mail recently since it had not arrived yet after approx. two weeks. Got phone call (!) from him on the same day, late afternoon my time and we chatted a bit. The shipment arrived today, tried the 5 wt. oil on a recalcitrant folder which can't be disassembled with instant improved results, the gritty feeling when opening/closing it is gone.

    The man seems to really care about his customers even if they only order one bottle and apart from being a satisfied customer I have no relationship with Nano-Oil.

  18. #58
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by skatenut View Post
    An update on Nano-Oil and it's owner, Christian StClaire:

    ordered a one ounce bottle (30cc) of 5wt. oil which was sent by Nano-Oil on June 4. Christian was kind enough to add a free LED light/keyring knife and to mail it without shipping charges.

    Sent him a mail recently since it had not arrived yet after approx. two weeks. Got phone call (!) from him on the same day, late afternoon my time and we chatted a bit. The shipment arrived today, tried the 5 wt. oil on a recalcitrant folder which can't be disassembled with instant improved results, the gritty feeling when opening/closing it is gone.

    The man seems to really care about his customers even if they only order one bottle and apart from being a satisfied customer I have no relationship with Nano-Oil.
    I got the same feeling about Christian. I ordered the 5w oil and a week or two later he emailed me asking how I liked it. When I wanted to order one of the metal applicators he recommended I not order it and gave me the reasons. Well, I ordered it anyway and sure enough he was 100% correct. The thing may come in handy for something someday but not for what I wanted it for. According to what was written you should be able to apply 1/30th of a drop. I think they got the math wrong because it easily applies 30 drops. Not really that bad. But he did suggest not buying a product that was on his site because it didn't meet his standards. That's very admirable. I think he has since removed the applicator from his web site.

    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  19. #59
    Spyderco Forum Registered User darkstar29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North central Ohio
    Posts
    345
    I got a bottle of the 10wt awhile ago.. And thus far, it is as advertised. Great lube! :thumbsup:

    But.. Just like any oil, it attracts and traps 'gunk'-- pocket lint..
    So, I took my PPT and Brown Para2 apart, and cleaned everything off.
    Then, before reassembly, I put a dab on both washers and smeared it around. I did the same thing around and in the pivot hole. Then wiped everything off.

    Both knives were buttery smooth before. Now? Hot-butter smooth. Without the excess oil to attract particulates. Try it. You'll be impressed.
    I walk away slow tonight,
    and cut through the air
    with a curse, like a knife.

  20. #60
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar29 View Post
    I got a bottle of the 10wt awhile ago.. And thus far, it is as advertised. Great lube! :thumbsup:

    But.. Just like any oil, it attracts and traps 'gunk'-- pocket lint..
    So, I took my PPT and Brown Para2 apart, and cleaned everything off.
    Then, before reassembly, I put a dab on both washers and smeared it around. I did the same thing around and in the pivot hole. Then wiped everything off.

    Both knives were buttery smooth before. Now? Hot-butter smooth. Without the excess oil to attract particulates. Try it. You'll be impressed.
    I did exactly that with my Gayle Bradley a while back. Like you I though my knife was already smooth before but the after was unbelievable. Well, I also wiped the blade tang down with a Tuf-cloth while disassembled. That is why I took it apart. I'm a little paranoid about corrosion and the M4 blade in areas I can't see. I got some of the 5w Nano because it is thinner and is supposed to soak into rusted bolds easily. I used it on a couple of knives and it seemed to be struggling to get into the pivot. This makes me more confident that it will get well into the pivot without disassembling the knife. The Tuf-Glide was completely dry when I applied Nano-oil to the washers and put-back-together the knife.

    After a few months, I'm still a believer in Nano-oil. Another thing I like (but don't really need) is that you can mix the different weights to get a consistancy that meets specific needs if you need that.


    Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •