Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nano-Oil for Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    A couple of days ago I took my Gayle Bradley apart and cleaned it real well. I applied a light coat of Tuf-Glide and let it dry. I wiped off any excess leaving the blade tang, washers and liners dry but protected. I applied Nano-oil to the pivot area only between the liners, washers and tang and on the pivot pin as I reassembled it. I know every little speck and spot is lubricated. Got it back together and working perfectly. Buttery smooth, ablolutely no blade play. Great knife and working wonderfully. Now that I know the only thing on the knife is Nano-oil effecting smoothness I'll see how long it lasts. I won't apply any more until I can tell a difference in how smooth it opens/closes. Clock starts 4/29/2012, 8:00pm.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I am looking forward to updates on how well the Nano-Oil works for you Jackknifeh since I am thinking about picking some up myself.
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    My bottle arrived this week as well. I immediately tried it on one of my old recalcitrant Para 1 knives, which has always had a little hitch in its action. The Nano-oil smoothed it right out - something that Militec and TufGlide never were able to do. It's a keeper!

I'm with you, Ken. I'm still going to wait and see about the "gunk" factor of a nano-oiled knife riding in my pocket full of lint.

TedP

Hi Kwakster,

I've ben using it on a Native5, Manbug FRN and a Stretch ZDP. Nice stuff.

sal

My obsessive disorder has had me looking at the metal pen for applying oil that is advertised with the Nano-oil. I think it is a Nano-oil product since it's on their site as well as Howe's. One problem I've always had is not being able to apply "just enough" oil. Has anyone used this thing (or anything like it)? If Nano-oil keeps performing like it has so far I'll be getting more and the next purchase will be the oil in the metal pen. It looks like you can use anything in the pen you want even if you quit using Nano. Or get more than one for different weights of Nano or other oils. I did say obsessive didn't I? I believe using this thing would save money in wasted oil in the long run. About half the time I apply oil to anything I wipe off excess and throw it away.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User kwakster's Avatar
    Some additional information:

"At only 0.090 micron in size, the active molecules in Nano-Oil by StClaire are called Nano-Bearings and they truly are within the nano scale technology (the width of human hair is between 50 to 100 microns) (1 micron = 1000 nanometers )
    Imagine 50 millions Nano-Bearings per square millimeters of contact surface on metal to metal all doing their job of substantially reducing friction while keeping equipment cooler.
    The Nano-Bearings molecules are magnetically induced (really negatively charged) to adhere to microscopic crevices and actually penetrate metals, providing a very - low friction - dynamic contact.

As far as the active ingredient in Nano-Oil formulation, Nano-Bearings are re-engineered hydro carbon molecules under extreme pressure and temperature in a proprietary process resulting in a very predictable spherical shape and sizing.
    A few entities out there will extrapolate from this statement and I am sure will derive to a conclusion.
    Some could call this resultant, Nano Diamonds, spherical fullerenes or buckyballs, we simply chose not to".

Question from me to stClaire:

"When once applied Nano-Oil is removed from a metal surface with acetone or another strong solvent, would the nano-bearings remain on the metal surface and thus would the lubricating capabilities be preserved, or would you have to apply the nano-oil again ?"

His answer:

"Once applied and conditioned (meaning using the device), the only way you can remove all the Nano-Bearings is by sanding the parts.
    However, a little drop after thorough cleaning is advised, else I will go broke. LOL.
    The first thing you see if you apply it without cleaning the parts is lifting of contaminants by Nano-Oil.
    The active ingredient then takes it's place."

A few links to interesting reading material:

Use in flashlights on Candlepower Forums: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...tian-stclaire)

In clocks: http://www.clockmakersnewsletter.com...=1276011717/10

In model boats (and a car): http://www.modelpowerboat.com/showth...dy-else-use-it

Info on buckyballs: http://www.3rd1000.com/bucky/bucky.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kwakster View Post
    "At only 0.090 micron in size, the active molecules in Nano-Oil by StClaire are called Nano-Bearings"
    The Van Der Waals diameter of a single carbon atom is 0.00034 microns.
    So, in Nano-Oil, the nano-bearings are only 265 carbon-atoms wide.

Sincerely,
    --Lagrangian

P.S. For fun I made a post about knife-related length-scales:
    https://www.spyderco.com/forums/show...706#post780706
    --------------------------------
    "What grit sharpens the mind?"
    --Zen Sharpening Koan

Quote Originally Posted by kwakster View Post

A few links to interesting reading material:

Use in flashlights on Candlepower Forums: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...tian-stclaire)
    This is the only site I looked at because I only used the oil on my flashlights. I tried to log in and found I have been BANNED with a date to be un-banned of NEVER. I don't know why. Being banned I couldn't reply, asking why. I did send them an email. I wonder if they got access to my FBI file?

I just though you guys should know about my unacceptable personality.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    No worries, Jack. We already knew
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    A couple of days ago I took my Gayle Bradley apart and cleaned it real well. I applied a light coat of Tuf-Glide and let it dry. I wiped off any excess leaving the blade tang, washers and liners dry but protected. I applied Nano-oil to the pivot area only between the liners, washers and tang and on the pivot pin as I reassembled it. I know every little speck and spot is lubricated. Got it back together and working perfectly. Buttery smooth, ablolutely no blade play. Great knife and working wonderfully. Now that I know the only thing on the knife is Nano-oil effecting smoothness I'll see how long it lasts. I won't apply any more until I can tell a difference in how smooth it opens/closes. Clock starts 4/29/2012, 8:00pm.

Jack
    Update about this and more.

I had a short email conversation with Christian from Nano-oil yesterday afternoon. In it he mentioned being able to tighten the pivot screws tighter after using Nano-oil. When I put the GB back to gether I tighted the pivot screws slowly until I had NO blade play. With this knife I get to the point with no blade play and the blade still is very smooth and easy to move. I quit tightening at that point on all knives. So, I checked the GB and there was still no need to add oil, blade was very loose and had NO blade play when locked. Everything was great. I started tightening the pivot screws and was surprised to see how much I could tighten the screws without making the blade stiff. In addition to NO blade play the knife now "feels" stronger at the pivot and the blade still moves easily. I then took my Jester, Sage1 and Chaparral, opened the pivot so there was lots of blade play. Added just a drop or two (max) and tightened the screws until there was no blade play at all. Then I gave the screws another tweak and still the blades were very easy to move. I was able to get the pivot significantly tighter than I used to be able to without stiffening up the blade movement. The Sage1 showed the most improvement. Once I had no blade play on it I kept tightening the screws and checking movement. After about 5 or 6 "extra" tweaks the blade started getting stiffer. When that happened I backed one screw off a tiny bit. The knife still has a wonderfully smooth and easy blade opening but he pivot is quite a bit tighter. This is a great thing IMO.

I could see a significant improvement on the Jester also. The Chaparral is better also but not quite as much. The Chaparral will never have the silky smooth blade movement that the Sage1 and GB are famous for IMO. Just a character trait of the knife I guess. It is still smooth and the original grittyness has been gone for a long time.

Bottom line: Nano-oil allows pivots to be tightened more without loosing the easy opening smoothness Spydercos are known for. This is my opinion. I think the improvement will vary from knife to knife. Also, one person's idea of "easy to move" will vary from another's.

Jack

Wow, jack, awesome find.

Although it does so much, that I'm wondering if you're in cahoots with Nano-Oil... :-P
    Last edited by Ukelay; 05-03-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, and we can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukelay View Post
    Wow, jack, awesome find.

Although it does so much, that I'm wondering if you're in cahoots with Nano-Oil... :-P
    Not in cahoots, sorry. I wonder if anyone will try this and find that they can now get blade play out of a knife that they used to be forced to live with for the blade to open smoothly and easily? That would be the ultimate testimony.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Nice piece of investigative journalism, Jack! I'm going to have to try this with a couple of mine this weekend!

TedP
    Worry less - Breathe more...

My trusted companion, a Spyderco Solo SoO1PS, black micarta, Peter Atwood Lanslide, capped off with a diamond knot.
    Spydie Fanatic #185

This Nano Oil sounds great. I currently use Tuf-Glide, which claims to bond chemically to the metal. Nano Oil makes the same claim and I believe them both. I wonder if one company's product will "clean off" the competing product from the metal? If so, whose product "wins" the competition to be closest to the steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    This Nano Oil sounds great. I currently use Tuf-Glide, which claims to bond chemically to the metal. Nano Oil makes the same claim and I believe them both. I wonder if one company's product will "clean off" the competing product from the metal? If so, whose product "wins" the competition to be closest to the steel?
    I've used Tuf-Glide for a few years also. I don't know if Tuf-Glide would win a contest like that but Nano-oil claims to be "compatable" with other oils. Funny, I can't copy from their web page to paste here. Here is the URL.
    http://www.nano-oil.com/Products.html

Scroll down to just under where it explains the different weights.

Here is Christian's reply to my question "how long does it last?" in an email yesterday.

Christian said:
    As far as how long the anti friction can last ?? many months for sure even years depending on the application,
    some computer fans that where not turning anymore are still running after years of one application as reported by more then one client/user, wish I could tell you more,
    once embedded, only sand paper can really remove the anti friction element in Nano-Oil.

Jack

Jack

Thanks for the link. Fascinating stuff they have there.

Bill

I'm very intrigued in this product for a few applications. Googling it, not finding any clear price for any amount. Is this a high end luxury or should a poor college student stick to mineral oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifestyle View Post
    I'm very intrigued in this product for a few applications. Googling it, not finding any clear price for any amount. Is this a high end luxury or should a poor college student stick to mineral oil?

The oil is more expensive than most but won't break the bank. It also looks like you won't use it near as often so a bottle/tube of it should last about twice as long as something else. That depends on us. The least you will spend is $16.

I bought this the other day.
    http://www.howesknifeshop.com/nano-o...5-8-cc/ml-10w/

I ordered item this this morning but I didn't get it from this site because it is out of stock here.
    http://www.howesknifeshop.com/nano-o...pplicator-10w/

I ordered it from here. This is the actual site for the product.
    http://www.nano-oil.com/Products.html
    On this site you just have to scroll down and find it. Compare the price. Both sites have free shipping.

If you order anything be sure to get the 10w (weight) oil. 5w is very thin and 85w is thick and for high demand applications like automatic weapons, or so I read.

Jack

Update:
    I asked Christian at Nano-oil if it was any good at freeing rusted bolts. He said yes. He suggested the 5w because being thinner would soak into the area faster and better. I categorize oil into 3 categories for my use. Lubrication, corrosion control and fixing already rusted items. I've used WD-40 all my life for all of the above. So, based on Nano-oil's performance for about a week I have no reason to doubt anything Christian says about the product. Anybody out there who has Nano-oil in the house have a rusted bolt to try it on?

Continuation of good news update:
    My Chaparral is performing wonderfully since it's Nano-oil application. The Chaparral has the worst pivot performance record of any Spyderco I've seen or heard about. Still everything else is so great IMO I decided a long time ago the pivot is easily lived with. It started very gritty but that worked itself out after a month or so. Then is was ok smooth. Then Nano-oil and it became MUCH better and still is. I used it this morning and I have to say, If I didn't already know about the pivot's poor history I wouldn't have even thought about the knife having a pivot issue. The pivot is very nice now. Does anyone else who has Nano-oil also have a Chaparral? How is the pivot smoothness? How is it after you use Nano-oil on the pivot if you use it? I believe of any Spyderco (any knife) the Chaparral is the toughest test of a lubricant's performance. Nano passed on my Chaparral.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User SQSAR's Avatar
    This stuff sounds great. Has anyone used it on high precision / high load bearings like those found in in-line speedskating wheels?