Thread: Anyone ever dissassemble their Dragonfly?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Anyone ever dissassemble their Dragonfly?

I'm wanting to go ahead and stone wash my Dfly blade, since this H1 scratches SO easily. I'm not so much worried about getting it apart, but getting it back together. Is the back spring a PITA to get back into place?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I'm wanting to go ahead and stone wash my Dfly blade, since this H1 scratches SO easily. I'm not so much worried about getting it apart, but getting it back together. Is the back spring a PITA to get back into place?
    I've never disassembled a D'fly but I did disassemble the FRN Manbug to get the ZDP blade out of it and put it in my G-10 handle. The FRN knife went back together so much easier than I expected it amazed me. Since the D'fly is bigger I bet it may be a bit easier. The thing I was really afraid of was getting both washers on opposite sides of the tang lined up to get the pivot pin in. This proved to be not such a big deal. Not being able to take the handle apart was the only different thing than the other knives I've gutted. It was ok though. Good luck.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    The back spring is not EVEN a problem.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar
    If you've ever done the Delica/Endura/Stretch, it's the same thing, only the scales/handle are one piece. You won't have any problems D.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Sounds simple enough. There aren't even washers on the inside to deal with so that's even easier.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Scottie3000's Avatar
    I agree, the back spring isn't too much of an issue especially with the one-piece handles.
    On order: CF S110V Native, S110V Manix Lightweight
    Current pocket hog: Domino
    Next up: Bolstered Cocobolo Stretch???

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    The zip-tie is your friend for holding the lock open while stone-washing.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*