Thread: Caly 3 ZDP Photoshoot (worst photoshoot ever)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Caly 3 ZDP Photoshoot (worst photoshoot ever)

Man what a day. Went for my weekend ride to my photo spot and decided to take some new pics of my Caly 3. On the way there i had a wipeout and skinned my elbow and knee up real nice, and i landed on my hip right where the knife was clipped and it destroyed the wire clip. I'm shocked nothing else bad happened to the knife from the crash. Then during the shoot the knife fell off a rock and chipped the crap out of the tip which ended the whole thing. Overall, not a good day at all but i got a few pics out of it.

Right after this pic, it fell from where it's sitting and chipped the tip

Here's some of the road rash. It's a good bit worse than it looks, the worst spot is down to the fat.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Crappy, man! ...but nice pics. Hope you heal up nicely and fix up the knife. Thanks for going the extra mile for some eye candy.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Crappy, man! ...but nice pics. Hope you heal up nicely and fix up the knife. Thanks for going the extra mile for some eye candy.

- best wishes, Jazz.
    The extra 12 miles of bike riding on top of ~35 mile drive to the bike trail i ride on and take pics on lol. I park in a little town by the trail and it's about 6 miles out or so where i usually take pics. We usually do about 25 miles more or less. I really enjoy it...it combines two things i've always had a love for, bike riding and knives.

Since we're on the subject, here's more pics of the photo spot and my bike. This bike trail covers 70+ miles of old railroad track and it follows the Little Miami River. It's one of the most peaceful and scenic places i've ever been to. The bike is a '86 General Bicycles Hustler Pro. They were a short lived mostly freestyle company who had their frames built by the same company who did Redline. It's a little rough looking but it's mostly original and rides so nice.

This is the photo spot. It's just an old rock bridge that the railroad used to cross, over a little stream that leads into the river. To the right in this pic is where i take most of my pics, on those old moss covered stones.

~David

And just some random scenic shots..

This is a 100 year old gunpowder factory that's along the trail. Scenes from the movie Ghost (with Patric Swayze) were filmed here. It's said to be haunted, there was a huge explosion that killed a bunch of people way back when it was still in use.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Sorry Dave!

Great pics tho!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Damn, thanks for the photos, they are very nice. I hope you didn't hurt the knife's feelings too bad.

Thanks for traveling 47 miles to take pictures of knives for us!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I walked forty-seven miles of barbed wire, I got a cobra snake for a necktie
    A brand new house on the road side, and it's a-made out of rattlesnake hide

I haven't been riding since this thread happened. I came down with acute bronchitis shortly after which i'm still fighting, and on top of that the antibiotic they gave me is giving me some ridiculous side effects of extreme muscle pain/soreness throughout my legs and lower back and overall fatigue and weakness. I love how these days drugs come along to cure something and bring with them worse side effects than what you took them to cure in the first place.

I haven't touched the Caly 3 either, i'm a little upset over that. I need to order a new clip and sharpen out the chip from the tip. Then again, since my son was with me when the wreck happened and i plan on giving him this knife someday, it almost seems fitting that i leave it the way it is just for the memory of that day. Maybe i'll buy the clip and store it in the box and someday teach him how to get rid of that chip.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    Hope you are feeling better soon. I like the thought of leaving it as is. It will just lead to another moment for you two to share later when you teach him how to sharpen. You already gave him two lessons about gravity, so I'd say you can call those covered. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Seriously, the trail looks great and I always appreciate your pictures. Now get better.

Dan

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by OldSarSwmr View Post
    Hope you are feeling better soon. I like the thought of leaving it as is. It will just lead to another moment for you two to share later when you teach him how to sharpen. You already gave him two lessons about gravity, so I'd say you can call those covered. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Seriously, the trail looks great and I always appreciate your pictures. Now get better.

Dan

Thanks man, i would really love to live off this trail. In some places where it's closer to towns, there's a small gravel or roughly paved road that follows the trial where people have houses built along the river. It's a paradise if you like the outdoors. Every town has a place to rent canoes too.

~David

Overall, the photos came out very well. The mishaps will hopefully soon be a memory. A chipped tip is not too bad of a thing.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Nah and it's not a bad chip either, it just bugs me that THIS knife got chipped. If it was solid ZDP it would bother me less, but i only have so much before i hit the line ya know. I'm sure that'll take years and years of sharpening, but still. If they'd do this knife again (or even the 3.5) in solid ZDP i'd buy another one and probably EDC it. I don't really care for the 420J2, it scratches so easy.

~David

Isn't this model a 3 layer sandwich? I thought I could see lines on the spine on mine.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Isn't this model a 3 layer sandwich? I thought I could see lines on the spine on mine.
    You are correct. It is zdp189 sandwiched between 420j2 so if you reprofile the tip it will expose the zdp189 core again. Just like sharpening a pencil.
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

Well, you'd have to lose a pretty large piece off the tip to lose the ZDP. The line you see going down the side of the knife is the line where the ZDP starts so on mine i have about 1/4 inch of ZDP sticking out, so i'm nowhere near that point. Really, if i used this knife enough that i started to get close to the sandwich line, i'd probably just retire it for good anyway.

~David