Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPM M4 vs Superblue

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar

CPM M4 vs Superblue

Currently CPM M4 is my favorite steel. Would anyone care to do a comparison with Superblue?

Thanks,

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Currently CPM M4 is my favorite steel. Would anyone care to do a comparison with Superblue?

Thanks,

Ken
    Ankerson has a thread up, I think he was comparing M4 mule vs Super Blue Mule

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...14#post8921414

No experience with Super Blue myself but I hear it's a dream to sharpen and use. Takes a real mean edge, etc.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    This should be good!
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Ankerson has a thread up, I think he was comparing M4 mule vs Super Blue Mule

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...14#post8921414

No experience with Super Blue myself but I hear it's a dream to sharpen and use. Takes a real mean edge, etc.
    Beat me to it - that's the place to start, for sure!

Thanks guys. Yeah, Jim does great work and I love reading his results but I'm looking for EDC opinions. I do cut SOME manilla rope, but not much

I like the edge retention of M4 but even more I like the quality of the edge I get. It's just a wonderful steel.

Of course, then I need Sal to make a super blue knife with something other than a back lock (I've grown so picky in my old age )

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    There is a great thread (here, I think, not BF - not sure about that) discussing the Super Blue Mule, with a lot of comments on Super Blue in general and people's experiences. I recall it being very good reading...but you're on your own to dig it out with search.

Thanks guys. Yeah, Jim does great work and I love reading his results but I'm looking for EDC opinions. I do cut SOME manilla rope, but not much

I like the edge retention of M4 but even more I like the quality of the edge I get. It's just a wonderful steel.

Of course, then I need Sal to make a super blue knife with something other than a back lock (I've grown so picky in my old age )

Ken

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to another knife in it. Hopefully a thin grind like a Cento3/Delica but a Stretch would be snazzy.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User PanChango's Avatar
    I really like both steels. I think I prefer the GB and M4, but it is borderline too large for me to carry at work. I carry a 3.5 SB Caly during the week. I am not a fan of back locks, but I still find myself reaching for the Caly. It is easy to sharpen and holds a great working edge for a long time with just some stropping. It also stains more easily than the M4 which only adds to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    There is a great thread (here, I think, not BF - not sure about that) discussing the Super Blue Mule, with a lot of comments on Super Blue in general and people's experiences. I recall it being very good reading...but you're on your own to dig it out with search.
    I read most of the mule and Caly 3.5 threads but no real comparisons to CPM-M4.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I'm looking forward to another knife in it. Hopefully a thin grind like a Cento3/Delica but a Stretch would be snazzy.
    It would. I'd prefer that to the Caly, even with the back lock.

Quote Originally Posted by PanChango View Post
    It also stains more easily than the M4 which only adds to the character.
    Nice comparison, thanks. And I agree with you on the patina. Really adds characture. I like that.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    I actually like the Super Blue better for EDC. Or it could just be the design of the Caly with the SB....
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I actually like the Super Blue better for EDC. Or it could just be the design of the Caly with the SB....
    That's the thing. The GB is my all time favorite design. I don't have a Caly 3.5, only a 3 (the CF/ZDP). It's a great design that I expected to LOVE. For whatever reason, I just don't. It never gets carried. In my mind, I'd wind up in the same place with the 3.5, which is why I never pulled the trigger on one, even to try the Super Blue. Add to that, my suspicion is I'd still prefer the CPM M4, in the end. I've been agonizing over the SB on K-BST but I think not. It's a good deal, if anyone is looking.

Ken
    玉鋼

I've been agonizing over the SB on K-BST but I think not. It's a good deal, if anyone is looking.
    I TRIED to get one of you guys to buy this.... Y'all let me down... Caly 3.5 SB inbound....

Ken
    Last edited by kbuzbee; 04-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    玉鋼

Caly 3.5 SB inbound....
    So it came a few days ago. Used it quite a bit now and I'm Very impressed!

As you can can, it's already developing a nice patina. After the first day I threw it on the SM to get a more polished edge. Really, REALLY easy! Man that thing slices now! I'm not sure SB is gonna replace M4 as my favorite steel but it's right up there. Sure glad I found someone who thought he needed to part with it. Not having this knife would have been a tragic mistake.

Cheers,

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Ken,

Glad you like it. That's what I'm carrying today as well. Each steel has its shining quality. It's "spirit" or "soul" if you will? The "ecceptional" quality of Hitachi's Aogami Super Blue is its ability to GET very sharp.

What kind of locks do you and PanChango prefer?

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User PanChango's Avatar
    Looks great Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Hi Ken,

Glad you like it. That's what I'm carrying today as well. Each steel has its shining quality. It's "spirit" or "soul" if you will? The "ecceptional" quality of Hitachi's Aogami Super Blue is its ability to GET very sharp.

sal
    Sal -

I am primarily a fan of the liner lock mostly as that is what I have carried for the last decade. I am not a huge fan of the back lock, but carrying SB Caly 3.5 on a regular basis is helping change my mind.

Regards,

Dale

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I own 2 of the SB Caly 3.5...and i love that steel. Its definitely a steel that i love a lot, not as much as M4, but its pretty close. Every single day I carry either the GB or the SB Caly 3.5.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    It's a tossup for me between M4 and Super Blue but I just like the Caly 3.5 a bit better for EDC than the GB. When I'm at the construction site though(mostly everyday), it's the GB in my pocket. I leave the SB Caly safe at home since it's not easy to replace that knife. I do have another SB Caly in the mail.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Glad you like it. That's what I'm carrying today as well.
    Excellent!

Each steel has its shining quality. It's "spirit" or "soul" if you will?
    I so get that, Sal.

The "ecceptional" quality of Hitachi's Aogami Super Blue is its ability to GET very sharp.
    I'm discovering that. And it gets there VERY easily.

My prefer (with my favorite) in order:

BBL (Phoenix)
    Compression (Para D2)
    Michael Walker Liner Lock (GB - though at that thickness, it feels more like a RIL) tied with RIL
    Back/front/mid (Caly 3.5 SB)

Like many (most) on this board, it's the overall design that wins in the end. Steel and locks are factors, as is blade shape, handle design and material, overall feel and function. Occasionally I'll find a knife I love in theory only to find there's something about it that keeps me from carrying it on a regular basis. Then there are knives like the 3.5 SB that I think will be "okay" that I wind up loving. Sometimes, you just never know

Cheers!

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Ken, I've been lurking and waiting to see how you liked Super Blue. It seems we like a lot of the same steels for the same reasons. I do like the back lock though. It's mt favorite for whatever reasons. It does sharpen really easy, and gets a nice savage edge that can be scary, or smooth and polished. It seems to hit a sweet spot above rc 60, and I prefer rc 62 myself. It has great edge stability, and good wear resistance unless you try to compare it to the high vanadium super steels like S90V, S110V, 10V ( A11), etc. Still, Super blue holds it's own and has the edge stability the vanadium super steels with the high carbide fractions don't.

CPM M4 is also one of my favorites. It pretty much can do everything I really need in a cutlery steel. It's one of the first ones I think of in those threads that start off with "If you could only have just one..." .

You know it pretty well so I won't get into it's attributes. I do like it at rc 64, which is it's sweet spot in my opinion. The Competition cutters usually go around rc 60-62, which is still pretty hard compared to the majority of steels. It says a lot about it as a steel.

Welcome to the Super Blue fan club. What took you so long? A non damascused, non san maied, modern styled one hand opening knife of it's quality in SB has exactly no competitors. None! It's another notable first for Sal and his Spyderco team.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Ken, I've been lurking and waiting to see how you liked Super Blue. It seems we like a lot of the same steels for the same reasons.
    I've noticed that Joe. And SB is clearly one of the best.

I do like the back lock though. It's mt favorite for whatever reasons.
    We each have our preferences and sometimes for completely different reasons. Some folks need ambi friendly. Some want the the lock to get them into fixed blade strength. For me, I want something that flows "naturally" if that makes any sense? The BBL does that best, for me.

It does sharpen really easy, and gets a nice savage edge that can be scary, or smooth and polished. It seems to hit a sweet spot above rc 60, and I prefer rc 62 myself. It has great edge stability, and good wear resistance unless you try to compare it to the high vanadium super steels like S90V, S110V, 10V ( A11), etc. Still, Super blue holds it's own and has the edge stability the vanadium super steels with the high carbide fractions don't.
    Exactly, and though the high wear steels are nice, I really don't need them. But the sharpness I can easily get SB or M4 to is wonderful.

CPM M4 is also one of my favorites. It pretty much can do everything I really need in a cutlery steel. It's one of the first ones I think of in those threads that start off with "If you could only have just one..." .
    Yep. While I would never want to give up my Phoenix or now, my 3.5 SB the GB is that ONE for me.

You know it pretty well so I won't get into it's attributes. I do like it at rc 64, which is it's sweet spot in my opinion. The Competition cutters usually go around rc 60-62, which is still pretty hard compared to the majority of steels. It says a lot about it as a steel.
    I totally agree. I like these steels a touch harder than most (any?) production knives are run. But I gotta say, both the M4 and SBs are sweet in every way.

Welcome to the Super Blue fan club. What took you so long?
    Thanks! Can I plead temporary insanity? That has to be it.... Well, it's resolved now!

A non damascused, non san maied, modern styled one hand opening knife of it's quality in SB has exactly no competitors. None! It's another notable first for Sal and his Spyderco team.
    Well said, Joe. And well done Sal, and team.

Ken
    玉鋼