Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back Pocket Carry

Spyderco Forum Registered User PARATOM's Avatar
    I usually carry my Dfly H1 in LBP if something is carried there, but i dont do it much because for some reason im paranoid is going to work its way out when im sitting down and ill forget about it.

I dont know if its my shorts or what, but i feel the D'fly does not have a very tight clip. and yes...i have tighten the clip screw as tight as i can...
    Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R
    There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    RBP is wallet territory, LBP is extra mag territory.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Curious what you carry your extra mag in to keep it from going horizontal?
    Adam

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    Thank you to those who contributed to this thread - I have just been getting into back pocket carry for my Tasman Salt.

The knife is so broad that it was pretty hopeless in front pocket carry - I wear slacks/chinos/khakis (depending on which part of the world you're from) for work and the edge of the front pockets are vertical - what that means is that the knife tends to sit in an almost horizontal orientation, taking up most of the pocket opening. I have not had this issue with any other knife before, it must just be a result of the way the back of the hawkbill sticks out.

Moving the knife to my BRP solves this problem completely - the straight back of the handle follows the right hand edge of my back pocket and the back of the blade sticks out into the space of the pocket itself. It's really easy to retrieve the knife either by grabbing the bit that sticks out or by sliding my right thumb down into the pocket and feeling for the spyderhole, and then wrapping my right index finger around the end of the clip and pulling the knife out. This second method allows me to deploy the knife almost as soon as it clears the pocket. Well, some of the time anyway...

I was concerned that it would get in the way driving but I haven't felt it at all - as a bonus my FRP is now free to hold more stuff
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Administrator
    I've been carrying a Delica (originally, a Gen 3, now Delica4) in my right back pocket for years. In fact, my original "tactical knife" carry was in the right back pocket by necessity. It was a Gerber Folding Sportsman II with a "Flicket" opener that I carried from about 1976 into the early 1980's. Those were the days before Sal changed the world by adding clips to folding knives.

The curve of the Delica's handle allows it to settle in the bottom of the pocket and stay in a consistent blade-up orientation. With the butt of the knife facing to the right, I reach in, grab the Round Hole with a pinch grip of thumb and index finger, and draw straight into a Spyder-Drop Opening. It's very fast and positive and, thanks to the short handle of the Delica, doesn't require repositioning the knife in the hand before going into action. The Tasman, which shares the same handle design as the Gen 3 Delica, would work even better for this style of opening since the blade is more exposed and the hole is easier to access.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

I sit on my back pockets so if I put a knife there it would likely be damaged, and it would certainly damage my clothes and what I am sitting on. My wallet is bad enough but it is fairly flat and the wallet itself isn't sensitive to being compressed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdblue View Post
    I sit on my back pockets so if I put a knife there it would likely be damaged, and it would certainly damage my clothes and what I am sitting on. My wallet is bad enough but it is fairly flat and the wallet itself isn't sensitive to being compressed.
    I've carried a knife loose in my back pocket for sixty years and spent more than a few of them flying a desk. Am a bit over 210 right now, but have been north of 300 a couple times over the years. Never damaged a knife and, unless you select a model with very sharp corners, doubt they cause any more damage to your pants than clipped carry would. As for furniture, unless you have soft pine dining chairs and "restless butt syndrome", I'd say the risk of damaging furniture, woodwork, and cars with deep pocket carry is far less than that of "keying" those things with a clip.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I carry all of my large folders this way. Both behind a desk as well as 2 hours a day of windshield time can cause this if you carry aggressive G-10.

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    looks like u could use some new jeans
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Seem all my pockets are taken by something. My left front is cell phone only, right front is main EDC, left back is keys clipped to a belt loop and tucked in, and right rear is wallet and Vic Spirit clipped next to it along the right side. I suppose I could carry one loose in my left back pocket.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Agreed. You would think it is because they are already pre-washed (pre softened), but my stiff duck canvas Carhartts are similar in their look now. The Manix 2 is the culprit for the picture above.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II

*Landon*

I carry a large German Eye lockback Sodbuster in right back. It's very thin doesn't have a clip and can do anything including self defense. I call it my fruit knife because I use it to peel apples with and other fruit. I can pop it open faster than an automatic and it's hair splitting sharp.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Kinda thought the same thing!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I carry all of my large folders this way. Both behind a desk as well as 2 hours a day of windshield time can cause this if you carry aggressive G-10.

I used to carry knives there all the time until I started carrying my Spirit there. Jean pockets aren't quite wide enough for my wallet and the multi but they squeeze in there, it's a tight fit.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I used to carry knives there all the time until I started carrying my Spirit there. Jean pockets aren't quite wide enough for my wallet and the multi but they squeeze in there, it's a tight fit.
    My small multi and torch are on my left rear (mirror of the Manix). I stopped carrying a rear pocket wallet years ago due to back pains after the then 3 hours a day of windshield time.
    My 's:

*Landon*