Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Under the microscope

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. This happened before and prompted me to make a second account, right around page 7. I think it has something to do with how many views the pictures are getting and resets monthly. I'll see what I can do to remedy the situation, but it might take a while moving all the links.
    Yeah, the drawback with the free PhotoBucket account is that it only allows so much bandwidth per month, so a popular thread, especially one with larger detailed images, can use up the bandwidth. They are of course trying to get you move to a *paid* account . I think many of the other free hosting sites have a similar restriction (they have to make money somehow!) though I have not looked into anonmgur.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    ANOTHER UPDATE!

I've played around with this before, and figured I'd post some results tonight. By placing a drop of water onto your forward-facing camera of your phone or similar device, you can turn it into a useful loupe to check and record your sharpening progress, or make tiny things really big. I have no clue about maximum magnification and focusing is limited to how big your droplet is, how still you can hold your hand and the phone's focusing distance. I find I have to hold subjects around 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the droplet, then take a picture with my other hand. If you're just using this as a loupe, just look at the screen.

I lit these shots from the side with a Sunwayman V11R with a neutral white LED. The first pictures are an ESEE Candiru, the last two are a Gayle Bradley.

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Last one is showing the seal on a $5 bill to get an idea of the magnification.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Very interesting... I hadn't heard of this technique. I'll have to give it a try. I think/hope we can assume the lenses are well sealed. Thanks for the nice pics -- it's amazing that you can get that quality of resolutaion in a true macro photograph with a smart phone lens and a drop of water! Wish I has some nishijin to photograph.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Welcome back.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Nice pics and good choice of light

Measured the GB weave this morning, it looks to be between .085-.090". On my computer monitor, the magnified version is .830" in the center, so maybe a magnification of 10x for my screen size.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    Very interesting... I hadn't heard of this technique. I'll have to give it a try. I think/hope we can assume the lenses are well sealed. Thanks for the nice pics -- it's amazing that you can get that quality of resolutaion in a true macro photograph with a smart phone lens and a drop of water! Wish I has some nishijin to photograph.
    I started playing around with it after seeing a story on some university that was putting a high-quality glass sphere in front of a smartphone lens and getting enough magnification to look at red blood cells. Also, after playing around with magnification filters for camera lenses.

After tearing down my iphone, I'm pretty sure no water will be able to get into the rear camera but it's easier right now to use the front camera and hold things above it. I might experiment with mineral oil and see if that gets me better clarity or if it will be able to form a taller drop on the lens, which I'd say increases magnification. Also might try to put a hydrophobic coating over the lens (Rain-X) to make the water droplet stand up.

As for the nishijin, sounds like an excuse to get another knife!

Chris

Measured the GB weave this morning, it looks to be between .085-.090". On my computer monitor, the magnified version is .830" in the center, so maybe a magnification of 10x for my screen size.

So I guess it could be called extreme macro photography or low range photomicrography... so you've turned your phone into a microscope! (If we didn't spend so much money on these smart phones, we could afford a real microscope... or more knives )

I started playing around with it after seeing a story on some university that was putting a high-quality glass sphere in front of a smartphone lens and getting enough magnification to look at red blood cells. Also, after playing around with magnification filters for camera lenses.

After tearing down my iphone, I'm pretty sure no water will be able to get into the rear camera but it's easier right now to use the front camera and hold things above it. I might experiment with mineral oil and see if that gets me better clarity or if it will be able to form a taller drop on the lens, which I'd say increases magnification. Also might try to put a hydrophobic coating over the lens (Rain-X) to make the water droplet stand up.

As for the nishijin, sounds like an excuse to get another knife!
    ...or two knives... I spent some time looking around for a cheap Gayle Bradley... to corroborate your work... and get some M4 steel .
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Another option if you're nervous about putting water on your phone:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sed-microscope