Thread: America's Cup winner Team Oracle USA Spyderco carry

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar

America's Cup winner Team Oracle USA Spyderco carry

Saw this over on the Spyderco Facebook:

Spyderco would like to congratulate TEAM ORACLE USA on winning the America's Cup yesterday! We are proud to be a preferred supplier of the winning team! You can see Spyderco knives clipped to some of the team members in the photo below.
    Name:  Oracle Spyderco.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  62.6 KB

You can also see some familiar yellow handles in this picture:

-Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: MT19 PSF27 Mule, Des Horn, Dialex Junior

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    How cool is that! Thanks for sharing this, Kyle. (I don't have/use Facebook, so I would've missed this). Congrats, Spyderco!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    >_> Sucks how on one of the days they called off the race while we were winning, then it went Down hill from there and the support went downhill too
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Shirogorov Hati - Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego- Curtiss F3 3.5"
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 (thanks USPS for losing it )

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    sweet! Were those yellow handles the sheepsfoot Enuff?

Spyderco Forum Registered User pc87's Avatar
    Thats AWESOME! I watched every race and am a huge fan of sailing. That was the best AC I have ever seen. I saw some fixed blades on Emirates but couldn't make out Oracles knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    >_> Sucks how on one of the days they called off the race while we were winning, then it went Down hill from there and the support went downhill too
    The irony is that there were more Kiwis on Team "USA" than Americans, as there were: 4 Australians, 2 New Zealanders, a Brit, an Italian, one each from Holland and Antigua, and just a single American. It should have been called Team Oracle Worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    Nope. Looks like folders. Probably a Salt I or Pacific Salt. Hard to tell from the pics.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: MT19 PSF27 Mule, Des Horn, Dialex Junior

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I looked thru lots of high res shots and I counted 3 yellow handled folders

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    ...Probably a Salt I or Pacific Salt. Hard to tell from the pics.
    These were my conclusions also.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

I know absolutely squat about sailing, less than squat actually. However, I sure would think a fixed>folder if you were drowning or tangled up. And if folder was it, a Tasman or...WAIT time for a Superhawk H1 SPRINT!! Viva la sailing and thanks for the America's Cup Sprint Run Spyderhawk

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I know absolutely squat about sailing, less than squat actually. However, I sure would think a fixed>folder if you were drowning or tangled up. And if folder was it, a Tasman or...WAIT time for a Superhawk H1 SPRINT!! Viva la sailing and thanks for the America's Cup Sprint Run Spyderhawk
    EXACTLY.
    I would actually prefer a fixed blade hawkbill in H1 SE, but amongst the models that have been built in the past the SE Spyderhawk sure would give piece of mind.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    Very cool. There are a few folders in the Salt series that are a lot longer than the Enuffs. That might be why they have folders.
    Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    It could also be the Atlantic Salt with the wharncliff blade.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    I used to race Catamarans (still sail, but don't race) and I've always carried folders. I prefer closing a folder and then having a safe knife rather than trying to resheath a fixed blade while dangling up in the rigging... One of the things I really like about one handed opening/closing. We try to avoid drowning as a problem

I carry a SE Salt1, PE Pacific or SE Tasman with a Spyker in a different pocket.

That's America were all immagrants It doesn't matter were you're born as long as you are a citazen now.spyderco rescue knives and h-1 knives are perfect for sailing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User christopher's Avatar
    Great Job Guys. Watched every race (I'm homebound or the moment) and they were incredible. We were down to 8 and 1. The kiwis just couldn't score that last, winning, one. Amazing.

Never saw the Spyderco's. Excellent eyes.
    Chris

We supplied quite a few models to sailing crew, chase boats, etc. different models for different functions. Mostly Pacific Salts. We're currently trying to get knives to the sailors of the Mini-Transat beginning on the 13th of OCT. 84 single-handers racing across the Atlantic in 22' boats. Very hi-tech stuff. Very ballsy men and women.

Hi Razorsharp,

It's a new game with these boats. Hopefully we can win races in the future without the winner being determined in a courtroom. The NZ boat did a great job and you should be proud. there is currently a discussion going on the boat design forums on then boats that might be used for the next AC event, as well as discussion of the '13 race.

Hi PC87,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    On one hand I could see something like this being great for publicity and/or sales, but on other hand I think it says a lot about how Spyderco trusts their product enough to put it in the hands of someone who could potentially use it to save lives. There are a lot of companies who make knives and various products, but when you make something for rescue professionals, and you hand them out freely to those people and they get put to the test, the publicity and feedback could easily be negative if your product doesn't perform as advertised. It's a bold thing to do that shows a lot of confidence, and I like that sort of thing. If a company trusts their product enough to trust it to save peoples lives, then it's good enough for my average Joe EDC needs.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?