Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    I am glad to see it back and will get one. But I will admit that I do wish that it was being made elsewhere with a nicer steel, be great to see in CPM154. But I can live with it in VG-10. The fact that it is a Moki knife...drops my enthusiasm a little bit more. I like washers in my knives. I know that Moki does a good job and I have a couple Moki knives, but I just wish that there were some washers in there...even teflon ones would be ok with me. So what should have been a 10/10 knife for me...is more like a 7.25/10. But like I said...still excited since I haven't managed to get an original run yet!

As for the grind...looks great.
    Not saying it won't but I'm curious as to why folks are assuming the Starmate will be produced by Moki, how it will be constructed, and that the steel will be VG-10. Unless I'm going blind, the blade on the prototype is totally sterile. None of the shots really show the absence of a gap between the blade and liners, and even if they did, some knives with very thin washers look that way. Aside from Mr. Blonde's comment that it will be made in Japan, I've seen no official word on any of those topics. So, it could be Moki, or G Sakai, or one of Spyderco's other Japanese makers and, while VG-10 is certainly possible, it could be some other Japanese steel.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    Hi Wouter, thank you for all your work. You really spoiled us with your great pics and comments. I'm delighted to see all those very talented knifemakers doing collaborations with Spyderco. Pekka's folder is fresh and elegant and a welcome change in the Spyderco line. I was aware of Marcin's little folder since it made it's first appearance and I'm glad that I'll finally be able to get one
    Frankly, I wasn't very excited about the Tuff but this new one is awsome. Amazing how little details (like the dimples) can change the whole thing. Congratulations Ed and Spyderco.
    And Brad... man, I loved your first knife at first sight (the one with a straight edge and nail nick). I was glad to see that the ones that followed were getting better and better. I hope that your flipper will get the recognition it deserves. And I still hope we'll get to see your balisong as a production piece some day
    Otherwise, the return of some oldies but goldies also added some spice to the Spyderco line up. I really miss my Meerkat (which got damaged long time ago) so fortunately I'll be able to replace it soon - and this time in VG-10 .
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thank you very much Mr Blonde. I must admit that I will buy at least two spyderco knives that I did not intend to initially due to your post.

Keep up the great work.
    Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Bit late to the party , but thanks for the reports and stunning pics Wouter

Despite the great absence of teeth, there are quite a few models I'd like to have
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedcut View Post
    All this complaining about the Tuff dimples will make the project be delayed once more....

C'mon guys it's been 5 or 6 years since the first concept ....let Spyderco bring it to life and then you can swap the damn G10 scale if you dont like it...geeezzz

Regarding the Starmate since the maker i can see from the pictures it is Moki it should be a very good knife....
    +1 There have been other Spyderco knives with dimples for indexing your grip, like the Temperance.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User thelock's Avatar
    Thank you for the great pictures! I was hoping for more USA made knives, but still cool!
    Paramilitary 2
    Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
    Anso Zulu
    Szabo Folder
    Delica ZDP-189
    SS Kiwi
    SS Bug set

Thanks for the great pictures!

The flipper is on my list for sure.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SCARLETT's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics. As for the tuff I love it for two reasons. 1 can't see the handle when I'm using it or when it's in the pocket. 2 if you guys don't like it more for me. ( I like the handle it's a nice change).
    Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales

Spyderco Forum Registered User MarcusH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Not saying it won't but I'm curious as to why folks are assuming the Starmate will be produced by Moki, how it will be constructed, and that the steel will be VG-10. Unless I'm going blind, the blade on the prototype is totally sterile. None of the shots really show the absence of a gap between the blade and liners, and even if they did, some knives with very thin washers look that way. Aside from Mr. Blonde's comment that it will be made in Japan, I've seen no official word on any of those topics. So, it could be Moki, or G Sakai, or one of Spyderco's other Japanese makers and, while VG-10 is certainly possible, it could be some other Japanese steel.
    Eric told us in Amsterdam, that the Starmate will be made in Japan, the steel will be VG-10 and that there will be no Terzuola-Emblem. But, of course, he didn't mention any particular manufacturer in Japan.
    Last edited by MarcusH; 03-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    My small collection: http://www.araneomorphae.de
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
    Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.

Wouter, thank you for the amazing pictures. Was anything mentioned about this Gayle Bradley? I love the materials of the GB but it just doesnt feel right in my hand. This one I think would be perfect.Name:  bradleyproto.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  89.3 KB

Ok, so I said I only had one gripe(those dimples are awful! Pleeease change it before production guys, the Tuff went from #1 on my list to off it completely), but I guess I was wrong. My eyegasms over al the new hotness made me miss a couple of things. Namely, that awful old-school clip on the Tuff (argggh!) & the Starmate, a model I've also been waiting for for years! Why use that outdated, horrible clip design? It leaves like half the knife sticking out of the pocket! Everyone wants deep carrying clips these days, I don't think its just a trend, I think its just more practical & will always be preferred by most consumers. Who wants to loose a $100-$200 knife because the clip leaves 2 freaking inches sticking out? Please use the regular hour class clip on these 2 models, or even better, the deep-carry wire clip! That clip is the best in the biz, by far! Anyways, sorry to rant, don't want to sound too negative. I still looove a lot of these new designs & will keep buying Spydies, I'm sure!

Thanks for the fantastic pics. Nice to have something to drool over while waiting for release. Last year the Techno was at the top of my list...and it still is. I really like the final version.

Hoping that the Ti Naive is nowhere as scarce as the fluted military, because that is another highly anticipated model. Anyone have a release date??

I'm glad I haven't bought a chaparall yet, the stealth model looks incredible. Still torn on the new chaparall vs the Bradley air for my gentleman's folder. Wish I could afford both. I wish one or the other came with a lanyard hole though. I go clipless, but appreciate a fob or lanyard on all my knives.

Didn't see the pygmy warrior...isn't that supposed to be released this year??

Thanks again for the pics. Thanks to Sal and company for the continued excellent products.

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Welcome to the forums SteelSpyder

The stainless looks like a removable wear plate, not a "liner". If you would rather, they could make it cheaper and wear out quicker.

Frankly for any price the Tuff is going to decimate the competition. Don't anyone let the final touches keep you awake worried .
    Please don't get mad as my intentions are not to be rude, but I don't need a lesson on what it does. You seem to assume low post count means low knowledge on subject matter. The truth is you are talking about something completely different than what I was. I meant the stainless liner on the non locking side under the g10. Not the stainless lock insert. There is little to no reason to have an opposing stainless liner under the g10 side on a titanium frame lock, aside from cost, which should be a moot point at this price range. It needs to be titanium, or no liner at all with thicker g10 again, ala Strider.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cktenders View Post
    Please don't get mad as my intentions are not to be rude, but I don't need a lesson on what it does. You seem to assume low post count means low knowledge on subject matter. The truth is you are talking about something completely different than what I was. I meant the stainless liner on the non locking side under the g10. Not the stainless lock insert. There is little to no reason to have an opposing stainless liner under the g10 side on a titanium frame lock, aside from cost, which should be a moot point at this price range. It needs to be titanium, or no liner at all with thicker g10 again, ala Strider.
    I'm not handing out lessons based on post count. I took a 50% guess at what you were referring to since there are only two sides. Frankly to peg me as the guy who assumes people with less posts are ignorant is far more personal than I would ever get.

Compared to tempered steel Titanium is weaker dimensionally. Based on the pic alone I would say they saved at least half an inch of thickness, in hand and pocket, over having two Ti slabs. Not to mention this keeps the blade centered between the scales instead of being lop-sided.

Ed Schempp wasn't asked to build a Strider for Spyderco. He decided to build the strongest dang folder he could imagine, period. I'm sure he had a reason to do it besides saving a buck.

PS: I'm not mad. Sorry if I sounded so.
    Last edited by Blerv; 03-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Left Hand Path's Avatar
    Frandad- That is exactly the Bradley model I am hoping for! I believe I handled that one at the 2010 BLADE Show. My brief impression was that I like it better than the current Bradley model.
    -Nick

Join Today!
    http://www.KnifeRights.org

Spyderco Forum Registered User Freediver's Avatar
    I'm speechless... just when I think things couldn't get better I click to the next page and can't believe the knives I am seeing. Lum tanto and Starmate return? Amazing Spyderco!

Left Hand Path- that makes two of us! Help spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I'm not handing out lessons based on post count. I took a 50% guess at what you were referring to since there are only two sides. Frankly to peg me as the guy who assumes people with less posts are ignorant is far more personal than I would ever get.

Compared to tempered steel Titanium is weaker dimensionally. Based on the pic alone I would say they saved at least half an inch of thickness, in hand and pocket, over having two Ti slabs. Not to mention this keeps the blade centered between the scales instead of being lop-sided.

Ed Schempp wasn't asked to build a Strider for Spyderco. He decided to build the strongest dang folder he could imagine, period. I'm sure he had a reason to do it besides saving a buck.

PS: I'm not mad. Sorry if I sounded so.
    Hmm...do they heat treat the stainless liners on all knives? I haven't a clue myself. I just want continuity. It looks ridiculous with two different materials as is. Lets be honest on one thing while we are at it, I don't think there are many of us out there that would break this knife with titanium or stainless liners. Same thing with the clip on the Southard. It just cheapens the (look of the) knife with a stainless clip on a titanium frame lock. I know they aren't making a Strider, but the combination of material/layout is a proven workhorse.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cktenders View Post
    Hmm...do they heat treat the stainless liners on all knives? I haven't a clue myself. I just want continuity. It looks ridiculous with two different materials as is. Lets be honest on one thing while we are at it, I don't think there are many of us out there that would break this knife with titanium or stainless liners. Same thing with the clip on the Southard. It just cheapens the (look of the) knife with a stainless clip on a titanium frame lock. I know they aren't making a Strider, but the combination of material/layout is a proven workhorse.
    I inadvertently put in "tempered". My bad .

I don't know but I sure don't design knives. It looks pretty burly to me and I have to think Ed knows what he is doing. The point is they aren't going for proven, they are delivering something different. Innovation ruffles feathers until people determine if it was beneficial or not.

Do people seriously think it looks rediculous? It looks pretty insane to me even with the sissy dimpling .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

In regards to the liner on non-lock side of the Tuff, I am thinking it might have more to do with being necessary to offer a four way clip rather than making it stiffer or more robust. I don't really have any particular desire for such a stout folder, but I would love to get one in hand to try out the ergonomics. I love that spyderco is willing to try out new things like the dimpled finish. I'll wait to decide if I need one until I have tried one in hand.

Grizz