Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cpm rex 121

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486

    Cpm rex 121

    Well I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd start a thread on the run of Mules in the stuff.

    They are....... interesting. High hardness and requires diamonds to properly sharpen (and it still seems to be one of those "hazy" steels that doesn't want to take a super high polish) but all in all quite a nice knife. A little on the thick side (primary grind is about 15 degrees) which means it doesn't cut like a laser but edge retention seems excellent so far. Shot a short video of it:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetshxapaP8

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,015
    You should check out mad rookie's bevel polish on his Farid rex 121 mule.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
    Posts
    3,448
    There was a little bit of discussion on rex 121 in this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...ext-mule-steel!!!!!

    And this is what I believe Chuck is talking about: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...48-Ready-To-Go
    -Kyle


    On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    You should check out mad rookie's bevel polish on his Farid rex 121 mule.
    A link? heh I suppose I could keep going to finer diamonds and just spend more time on it but it had reached peak sharpness for this edge angle so I just stopped. here:

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User michaelm466's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Posts
    379
    Rex 121 Military anyone? I wish...
    Southfork, Mule Team K390, Military CPM-M4/Ti, Military CTS-XHP, Military CF/M390, Para-Military 2 CPM-S90V, Para-Military 2 CTS-20CP, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P, Para-Military 2 M390, Para-Military 2 CTS-XHP, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Manix 2 XL, Manix 2 CPM-S30V/Blue G10, Manix 2 CTS-BD30P, Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CPM-M4, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Superhawk, Forum Native CPM-S110V, Endura Super Blue, Pacific Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Ladybug ZDP-189, Bug

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,164
    I can't see this steel showing up even in a sprint run. I hope I'm wrong though.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,015
    I would probably not be getting any knife in it. I'd find it too hard to sharpen.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    270
    I got one of Farid's mules on CPM Rex 121 on its way to me know from the UK. I understand from pictures that it is rather "thick" on the spine, so I am not expecting it to be a good slicer, but I am still looking forward to playing with it. I sharpen with DMT diamond 8x3 plates, so I am comfortable sharpening anything so far (ZDP, M390, CTS-20CP, Cruwear, etc.), so it will be interesting to see how this mule will be in the sharpening/re-profiling areas as it will be the highest RC ever for me (reported in the upper 60 RC range!).

    Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 02-28-2012 at 06:38 AM.

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I would probably not be getting any knife in it. I'd find it too hard to sharpen.
    Not sure if you're serious or not but if I had the cash I'd buy one just to find out.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Not sure if you're serious or not but if I had the cash I'd buy one just to find out.
    I'm actually serious this time. I'd like to try it of course, but since I can't sell knives, it would be just a paperweight if I can't sharpen it. A full set of atomas for the Edge Pro would be nice for the Rex 121 though.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,164
    Yeah i see your point. I'm sure i wouldn't have a problem selling one in the states. I'm pretty confident i could handle sharpening it with the right stones, but profiling and removing chips would be a nightmare.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486
    Eh thats the thing though. You can sharpen a softer steel (like ZDP189) twice as often for half the time or you can sharpen this half as often for twice the time. :P (rough comparison) The point is that its really not that intimidating, you can work it down with whatever you want ceramic, diamond stones, etc. but the highest polish wants to be done on a strop loaded with, and this is just my experience, diamond paste. Diamond paste is cheap, couple bucks a tube. I see this as yet more sharpening phobia silliness like we had back when the first high carbide content steels were coming out like S30v. Is anyone here scared of sharpening S30v? No. Nobody is anymore. This is the same thing, just a little more of that. :P I mean if you don't want it thats fine, but don't invoke fear of sharpening on this one, we've heard that argument already. :P

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    72
    I have one of these mules but haven't really done anything with it yet.

    Xavierdoc said that he was suprised at how easy his was to sharpen. I'm not saying it is easy, just maybe not as difficult as people initially thought it was going to be.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    Diamond paste is cheap, couple bucks a tube.
    I need to get some. Which grit and which brand do you recommend? Where do you buy yours?

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,015
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    Eh thats the thing though. You can sharpen a softer steel (like ZDP189) twice as often for half the time or you can sharpen this half as often for twice the time. :P (rough comparison) The point is that its really not that intimidating, you can work it down with whatever you want ceramic, diamond stones, etc. but the highest polish wants to be done on a strop loaded with, and this is just my experience, diamond paste. Diamond paste is cheap, couple bucks a tube. I see this as yet more sharpening phobia silliness like we had back when the first high carbide content steels were coming out like S30v. Is anyone here scared of sharpening S30v? No. Nobody is anymore. This is the same thing, just a little more of that. :P I mean if you don't want it thats fine, but don't invoke fear of sharpening on this one, we've heard that argument already. :P
    I dunno, I guess I'm just a coward at heart.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xavierdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    I have one of these mules but haven't really done anything with it yet.

    Xavierdoc said that he was suprised at how easy his was to sharpen. I'm not saying it is easy, just maybe not as difficult as people initially thought it was going to be.
    Indeed- it's not "easy" but given I was lowering edge angle it was not bad at all. Perhaps because I was anticipating a real struggle. I certainly wouldn't expect to take 2x longer than ZDP189 (in equivalent blade.)

    Before:



    After:

    UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
    Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486
    Yeah its not easy but its not THAT bad. I mean its just not nearly the struggle you'd expect. Anyway it seems he has just a few left. Snap 'em up quick before they're gone.

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,015
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    Indeed- it's not "easy" but given I was lowering edge angle it was not bad at all. Perhaps because I was anticipating a real struggle. I certainly wouldn't expect to take 2x longer than ZDP189 (in equivalent blade.)
    Ah that's good news. Maybe a Rex Millie then...
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I'm pretty confident i could handle sharpening it with the right stones, but profiling and removing chips would be a nightmare.
    It isn't out of the ordinary for high carbide steels, and you don't need anything special in regards to stones. I just lowered the edge angle on one with a 700X Bester and took a very degrees per side off of the bevel in under 10 minutes and the that stone isn't even made for HSS and is a medium-fine grit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •