Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mule Team HRc Information

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Great information and I concur about this thread making a great sticky!
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    JLS, any additional testing data would be really welcome, and would be a great update! No pressure, of course...

John
    Good thing you said no pressure! Otherwise I'd be worried about the repercussions of waiting this long.

I finally stopped in at my old work last week and I have some additional results.

MT01 - 52100 - 3 tests; 63.1 HRC average
    MT08 - Super Blue - 3 tests; 62.5 HRC average
    MT13 - ELMAX - 3 tests; 58.3 HRC average

I still haven't found the test results for MT06 and MT10. If they're not in some old spreadsheets, they're lost and I don't know that I want to know the hardness bad enough to tear the handles off (once they're epoxied on, they stay that way...at least how I do it).
    42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    Good thing you said no pressure! Otherwise I'd be worried about the repercussions of waiting this long.

I finally stopped in at my old work last week and I have some additional results.

MT01 - 52100 - 3 tests; 63.1 HRC average
    MT08 - Super Blue - 3 tests; 62.5 HRC average
    MT13 - ELMAX - 3 tests; 58.3 HRC average

I still haven't found the test results for MT06 and MT10. If they're not in some old spreadsheets, they're lost and I don't know that I want to know the hardness bad enough to tear the handles off (once they're epoxied on, they stay that way...at least how I do it).
    Thanks! Updated OP.
    Last edited by JNewell; 07-24-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Added MT-15P

One more test to add. Stopped in at my old work yesterday and I think the results on the MT-15 CTS B75P Mule will be encouraging. I did a fresh calibration and tested my blade 3 times. 62.7, 62.2 and 62.9 for an average of 62.6 HRC.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Thanks for your continued testing. I'll make sure to get the Spydiewiki updated with the MT15 data.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

One more test to add. Stopped in at my old work yesterday and I think the results on the MT-15 CTS B75P Mule will be encouraging. I did a fresh calibration and tested my blade 3 times. 62.7, 62.2 and 62.9 for an average of 62.6 HRC.
    Thanks, JLS. I'll update the top post later today.

For some reason the forum isn't allowing edits. I'll see what I can do with forum admins.

I have hardness testing for two more.

I found a MT-10 BD-1 Mule on Ebay for a decent price and removed the scales when it arrived as they were nearly 1/2" thick each. It tested at 57.2 HRC, which seems a little low, so I'd like to put the disclaimer that it was used of unknown origins. Other than that, the blade was clean and flat and the machine was freshly calibrated.

I also tested the CTS-XHP Mule and it was 60.3 HRC. Now to get some handles on it and start seeing what this steel is capable of.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Thanks for the update on the XHP
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

My pleasure. I love seeing how Spyderco treats each steel, though they do seem to push the limits a bit on hardness to show us what the steel is really capable of. In that vein, I've been loving my Cruwear mule. A little linen micarta and kydex makes it into a wonderful EDC and it is a great steel thus far. It's not H1 with regards to corrosion resistance, but I'll gladly show a little care given it's cutting performance.

I hope that JNewell can edit his post up top. If not, I may just compile my data into one post.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    very informative, thanks for making this thread!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Manix Guy 2's Avatar
    Here is another Mule #1
    04-11-2008, 08:32 PM #1 Manix Guy 2
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Send Email

Spyderco Forum Registered User Join Date:May 2006
    Went to Metlab Lab today and took the Mule in for Rockwell testing where I work . The two test samples came out 63 and 64 . Fine job Sal ! Guys there had fun with the experierment , Craig had a Mini Dyad in his pocket during the trial , me the C44 . Good day , MG2
    Last edited by Manix Guy 2; 01-03-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more info

I have hardness testing for two more.

I found a MT-10 BD-1 Mule on Ebay for a decent price and removed the scales when it arrived as they were nearly 1/2" thick each. It tested at 57.2 HRC, which seems a little low, so I'd like to put the disclaimer that it was used of unknown origins. Other than that, the blade was clean and flat and the machine was freshly calibrated.

I also tested the CTS-XHP Mule and it was 60.3 HRC. Now to get some handles on it and start seeing what this steel is capable of.
    Thanks!!! Unfortunately, I can no longer edit the original post in this thread, so we'll have to let updates accumulate as they occur in this thread.

Can't edit/update the original post, but I will restate the whole thing here with your new data!

My pleasure. I love seeing how Spyderco treats each steel, though they do seem to push the limits a bit on hardness to show us what the steel is really capable of. In that vein, I've been loving my Cruwear mule. A little linen micarta and kydex makes it into a wonderful EDC and it is a great steel thus far. It's not H1 with regards to corrosion resistance, but I'll gladly show a little care given it's cutting performance.

I hope that JNewell can edit his post up top. If not, I may just compile my data into one post.

Original post now updated/this post deleted
    Last edited by JNewell; 01-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Can't edit/update the original post, but I will restate the whole thing here with your new data!
    Thanks for all your effort on this thread!

Thanks for all your effort on this thread!
    I'm just the guy behind the counter...you and the others who've tested them are the guys actually providing the beef!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    Bump

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler_9 View Post
    Bump
    Got data?