Thread: C67GF Spyderco R Nishijin Now Available

C67GF Spyderco R Nishijin Now Available

The Spyderco R Nishijin is now available and shipping from Spyderco HQ. For info and specs, check out the product information page on Spyderco.com.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    so is this like a delica with a choil?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bolster's Avatar
    Looks like it, doesn't it? For me that would be a desired improvement over the Delica, which never seems to fit into my hands well.
    Congratulations—your brainwashing is complete!
    Perform ongoing maintenance by daily consumption of mainstream media.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I just received mine this morning. To me, it's between a Delica and and Endura in size. It's about the same thickness as my Caly 3, but is "wider" (front-to-back). It is very comfortable in my hands, not too large at all. But then, I do like choils . Mine came *very* nice in the fit-and-finish, and *very* sharp! It is not as deep-carry as the Caly 3, so it probably won't replace mine in my waistband while I'm at work.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bolster's Avatar
    Interesting you mention the clip. My thought was, I'd purchase this knife if it had a deep carry pocket clip.
    Congratulations—your brainwashing is complete!
    Perform ongoing maintenance by daily consumption of mainstream media.

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar
    Unfortunately, this will not be an edc for me, so I may end up selling mine. I am not so sure I like it enough. The blade looks like a piece of pie and ended up being larger than I imagined. Overall its a great knife F&F, but not exactly my cup o tea. The scales are pretty cool, but I do not really like glossy scales. I do like the look of the nishijin though, looks like a fabric version of diamond plate
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar
    Would appreciate this in Black FRN at a reduced price or GRN FRN w/ ZDP.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethsime View Post
    Would appreciate this in Black FRN at a reduced price or GRN FRN w/ ZDP.
    To reduce the price much they would have to set up an injection mold similar to the Delica, Endura and Stretch. They would likely make it a production model instead of a sprint and would have to sell quite a few more. The initial cost of this mold is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-50,000 if I recall correctly. Plus redesign expenses incorporating nested liners.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    To reduce the price much they would have to set up an injection mold similar to the Delica, Endura and Stretch. They would likely make it a production model instead of a sprint and would have to sell quite a few more. The initial cost of this mold is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-50,000 if I recall correctly. Plus redesign expenses incorporating nested liners.
    If the Stretch can make it as regular production, I see little reason why this couldn't. Of course, I just like the idea of a more stretch-like delica/endura, and have never handled an R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethsime View Post
    I just like the idea of a more stretch-like delica/endura, and have never handled an R.
    I got the chance to fondle quite a few at the fun-show today.

Just what I can recall:
    Junior
    P2
    Pac Salt (screwed)
    Caly 3 CF
    Techno
    Stretch FRN
    R Nishin
    Byrd Tern

I must say, I am praying they decide to do the R in G10. I absolutely love the way this knife felt in my hand. Choked up, or in regular grip, there were no hot-spots. My only complaint was with the glassy smooth surface of the Nishin. With the tackiness, and no doubt slightly extra thickness of G10, this knife will really take off.

The Stretch felt almost as good, but the poster had it right based on looks. The R feels like a larger Delica with choil, in rock-solid construction. Much more substantial in the hand than the Caly 3, and with screwed assembly. Heck, I may succumb to the sprint's, and just add some skateboard tape for grip, LOL. Just don't know if the outer sealed coating of the Nishin would survive it.

It looks like a really cool knife, G-10 or FRN would be great. I'm a little put off by so many people saying that it "just doesn't feel right," unlike the Stretch. The Stretch feels just right, I would really like to handle the R.