Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caly 3.5 G-10 Super Blue Steel SPRINT

Caly 3.5 G-10 Super Blue Steel SPRINT

New Product: The Spyderco Caly 3.5 G-10 Sprint with Super Blue Steel is now available online.

Last edited by dapagco; 08-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spider bite's Avatar
    Sweet!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Man, droppin' some sweetness today, thank you!

This will be my first Sprint and I'm patiently awaiting my ship confirmation from KW.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kens73's Avatar
    Yes!!!!!
    Lost count ...
    Super Blue Lover

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    Great news. I can't wait to test out this steel. Thanks again, Sal.

Spyderco Forum Registered User buddy54ck's Avatar
    Another Winner!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I just received mine a couple of days ago. My first Sprint, I'm scared to touch it! Very beautiful knife!

i love it but it is so nice i would never use it

Just get two. Then you don't have to worry about ugly-ing one up

Also..I have one, and have handled three and all had slight up and down play, anyone else have this?
    On the hunt for...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    Just get two. Then you don't have to worry about ugly-ing one up

Also..I have one, and have handled three and all had slight up and down play, anyone else have this?
    Yes. I have two and both have the slight up and down play. Doesn't interfere with use but I still find it very annoying. Especially in such an otherwise fine knife. The super blue is wonderful though.
    Peter - My 's:
    Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).

Quote Originally Posted by mongatu View Post
    Yes. I have two and both have the slight up and down play. Doesn't interfere with use but I still find it very annoying. Especially in such an otherwise fine knife. The super blue is wonderful though.
    Thanks for the feedback. I know that it is something that can and does happen with lock backs, but I have several spyderco lock backs and my ZDP stretch has a small amount that is only noticed when you cut into something "grabby" but all 4 that I have handled of the Caly 3.5 have a little bit that is easily noticeable. It really is a BIG annoyance. I hate that it has it and it bothers me every time I grab the knife.

It is a shame too because other that issue, I love this knife a lot. I love the steel and would like to see more of it. And I like the ergos of the caly 3.5. But it seems that at least the majority of these have up and down play..bit disappointing really.
    On the hunt for...

Yes, it is very disappointing. I wonder if I sent them back for warranty service if they could (and would) eliminate the blade play?
    Peter - My 's:
    Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I know that it is something that can and does happen with lock backs, but I have several spyderco lock backs and my ZDP stretch has a small amount that is only noticed when you cut into something "grabby" but all 4 that I have handled of the Caly 3.5 have a little bit that is easily noticeable. It really is a BIG annoyance. I hate that it has it and it bothers me every time I grab the knife.

It is a shame too because other that issue, I love this knife a lot. I love the steel and would like to see more of it. And I like the ergos of the caly 3.5. But it seems that at least the majority of these have up and down play..bit disappointing really.
    I, too, have slight up/down play, but as I've said elsewhere, I actually had to look for it (sorta like having to push the Squeak into the handle to see if the motion will roll the edge). Done some good whittling with this Caly and felt no give, which is what matters to me at the end of the day. And does it keep an edge! Wow!

My nit is/was the patch of cloudiness occurring on/in the blade. It ran a good inch and a half lengthwise under Sal's mark. I have finally removed much of it, say 99.5%, with a VERY gentle application of rubbing compound on 800 grit sandpaper. Did the same on the other side. The blade is beautiful.

I should add that in my compulsive opening and closing of the blade (love the sound of those clicks, I sure everyone here will appreciate), the blade has developed some wear marks right at the pivot, which is clean and lubricated. I will probably give them the same compound treatment once I think the tight surfaces have adjusted to each other.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Mine is slight too...just seems like somewhere, there is something that wasn't quite right. Maybe the pivot hole was drilled slightly too big. It seems to me that since the tang sits flat and firmly against the lock bar that it is probably that the pivot hole was made too wide which would lead to there being a slight space between the edge of the pivot and the edged of the hole which would shift slightly when pressure was applied.

That means that there is likely nothing that could be done about it even if I were to send it in.

And I know that this leads back into that whole big mess of a conversation about production vs custom knives and what to expect etc. And I SO don't want to open that can of worms again. I was just wondering how widespread it is with this model because none of my other Spyderco lock backs have any up and down play (just the stretch under very specific conditions).

Will I let it stop me using and loving this knife, no. Will it bug me....yes.

And all knives with no washers will get those lines eventually. The more you play with it the faster they will show up I'm sure. I use my Persistence and my CKRT M21 to play with so that I don't cause excess wear on my more loved Spydies.
    On the hunt for...

I could care less about the lines on the tang from opening and closing the knife, but I just hate feeling that blade play slop even though it isn't enough to have an effect on the cut. My VG-10 Caly 3.5 is much better in this regard although it also will reveal some play when I press hard into a cut. But the Super Blue exhibits the play even with just fairly moderate pressure. Really surprising to me that after all this time making this style of knife that they would still have this issue.
    Peter - My 's:

I totally agree with you about both the lines on the tang and the play.

I was thinking about getting a VG-10 one...but I dunno. I just am bothered by that play.

You would think that it would have been taken care of by now. If they have make other lock backs with no play, why not take care of the Caly.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Probably not the best place for a W&R discussion.

Lockbacks can exhibit vertical play under cutting due to the design. All folders can exhibit lateral play. The definitions of "play" are subjective to the owner and should be verified/dismissed by the trained department with official testing.

Hope your knife is fixed!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Probably not the best place for a W&R discussion.

Lockbacks can exhibit vertical play under cutting due to the design. All folders can exhibit lateral play. The definitions of "play" are subjective to the owner and should be verified/dismissed by the trained department with official testing.

Hope your knife is fixed!
    No you are right and that wasn't my intention at all if you read my posts.

And we did discuss that all lockbacks can. But that the majority don't, and this model in particular seems to display more.

There was no bad mouthing no doubting the quality of the product.

And like I said, I will not be sending it in because it is obviously a minor issue that is more of a annoyance than anything that will ever affect the use of the knife and it seems to be affecting not just my knife, or the other 3 that I have handled...but at least 2 others. That indicates to me that it is the way it is. I provided a reasonable explanation but that was it.

It is a great design with a wonderful steel, and I am happy to have one.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User navman's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, How many of these were produced?
    Keep your feet wet and powder dry.

Beware the Evil Platypus....

"And ye shall know the truth...and the truth shall piss you off." - staff adaptation of an old proverb.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by navman View Post
    Just out of curiosity, How many of these were produced?
    I believe this was a 600 piece run.

I'm sure that someone in the know will correct me if I'm wrong.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.