Thread: Show me your dye jobs...

Spyderco Forum Registered User PARATOM's Avatar

Cool Show me your dye jobs...

Ive been planning on Rit dying one of my spydies and i want to see how some other colors come out. Ill be doing it to g10 but please post pics of any kind of handle material you dyed.

Please add a little description of what dye brand/color/method used and if it has held up to your liking.

Thank in advance!
    Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R
    There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I would show you pics of my H1 Ladybug dyed boring old black but i think you can imagine it. I used liquid RIT, boiled it on the stove in a pot for about a half hour. It's held up pretty well as far as use wear goes, but from where i've carried it on my keys it's starting to wear through to the yellow. It's not really a big deal...it's easy enough to dye again...that's the best part about going with black. If you go with a color, and you decide to dye it again to fix scratches, you'll end up a darker color. You could always dye it black the second time around i guess.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    Here is a Tasman Salt that went from yellow to orange;

And a UKPK that was originally gray and I made it maroon, trying for a lighter red.

Here are two videos of me doing each of the knives above.

http://youtu.be/4TK15J7bdXE?hd=1

http://youtu.be/W2FFx0LxElE?hd=1

I may try doing the pink scales on my Manix2 later tonight if I'm feeling frisky.
    Last edited by Rwb1500; 02-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    I wonder if anyone has dyed their Sprint run Jesters yet. I thought about dyeing one of mine, but its to soon.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    Hey, I know this isn't a knife, but here's some yoyos I did back them. They started blue and orange. Both dyed with black rit powder. I used plumber's goop to block off the parts I didn't want to be dyed. Just wondering if anyone wants to do it to a spyderco.
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Im still waiting for a pic of a spydie done like that. I have marveled over that for some months now
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Caly 3.5 Superblue- Dragonfly H1 SE- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer
    Inbound: Curtiss Nano- Zero Tolerance 0777

Quote Originally Posted by Minibear453 View Post
    Hey, I know this isn't a knife, but here's some yoyos I did back them. They started blue and orange. Both dyed with black rit powder. I used plumber's goop to block off the parts I didn't want to be dyed. Just wondering if anyone wants to do it to a spyderco.
    is there any way you can post the process you used to make that design?

That looks awesome!
    Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R
    There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PARATOM View Post
    is there any way you can post the process you used to make that design?

That looks awesome!
    Haha, thanks. It's actually quite easy. You take plumber's goop, a form of silicone, and drizzle it over the knife in a random pattern. I kind of squirt down a blob, and moved onto another area to squirt another blob, and there would be a thin trail of silicone that connects the two blobs. Just keep doing this as randomly as you can, let it dry, and then dye as normal. Afterwards, take toothpicks, and just lever the silicone out, which would be a pain with the texturing in the knives though. Might want to try it in a little spot first, to make sure it's removable. It works on mine. The area with the silicone is the area with the original color.
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull

Quote Originally Posted by Minibear453 View Post
    Haha, thanks. It's actually quite easy. You take plumber's goop, a form of silicone, and drizzle it over the knife in a random pattern. I kind of squirt down a blob, and moved onto another area to squirt another blob, and there would be a thin trail of silicone that connects the two blobs. Just keep doing this as randomly as you can, let it dry, and then dye as normal. Afterwards, take toothpicks, and just lever the silicone out, which would be a pain with the texturing in the knives though. Might want to try it in a little spot first, to make sure it's removable. It works on mine. The area with the silicone is the area with the original color.
    Thank you. I would be dyeing g10 so texture isnt too deep. i wonder if this would work with a hot glue gun? or would the glue just melt when boiled??? lol

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Just for giggles, I googled the term "dye job" expecting some pictures of alt rockers, Donald Trump, or whatever. In addition to these photos - this article popped up. Evidently the new craze in China is dying your pet to look like a wild animal. What a strange world we live in...

Who wants to put tiger stripes on their orange Manix?

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Coulro's Avatar
    Already posted this in General Discussion, maybe it should have went here instead. Oops!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    The splatter job would look great with some lime green dye over the yellow Salt handle.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    What a strange world we live in...
    Yep...

-Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User Skywalker's Avatar
    A question about the dye - does it put some sort of coating on the scale, or does it actually leach into the material? I've got a gray E4 that I'd like to change up a bit, but I don't know if I need to stick to darker colors or if the lighter ones'll look alright, too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Here is a dye job I did over a few months. Had to find the white FRN a piece at a time.
    I am getting a wood/class display box for them as a set, and laminating a text based card that says
    "These Colors may BLEED, but they never RUN!"
    And they do bleed. I also made Reeves coil lanyards for each one and dyed them, too.
    I was going to wait until I finished everything, but that may be in a few weeks as I get to it.

Yeah, pretty useless for the $300.00 it will eventually cost, but it is a display set, not users.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sithus1966's Avatar
    My first was a Spyderhawk

Then a Hawkbill purple.

Then a Dragonfly green.
    C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    A question about the dye - does it put some sort of coating on the scale, or does it actually leach into the material? I've got a gray E4 that I'd like to change up a bit, but I don't know if I need to stick to darker colors or if the lighter ones'll look alright, too.
    If the dye liquid is hot, the pores in the FRN (and G-10 to some lesser degree), will open open up and absorb the dye.
    Eventually it will be worn down, but not the dye, the FRN/G-10 material. The dye will not leach out after a good bath.
    FRN, at least in my experience, seems to follow the color wheel better than G-1o.
    Here is an example on a gray G-10 Caly 3.5

post #602
    That was done with Sunset Orange RIT.
    I then dyed my Gray FRN Endura with Sunset Orange and got a chocolate brown, a little darker than the brown Endura Spyderco sells.
    Go look at a color wheel and see what it says for Gray and Orange.
    Brown.
    So be aware that these materials react different with the dye.
    As far as wear. yeah, it will wear over time, but just redye it if that happens. A box of powdered RIT will dye 5-6 sets of scales. You only need about a teaspoon for a cup of hot water. Using a whole box is overkill.
    Keep the material moving in the dye liquid to make sure it's consistent and covers completely.
    Use SS or pan/utensils that you don't mind being dyed.
    Don't get the dye on your hands, counter top, or your wife's favorite kitchen towel. Just saying.
    And for shucks sake, make sure you rinse the material after dying. 1st in soapy warm water to get off the excess, then in cold to set the dye.
    My mother used to use vinegar with the dye to help it work. I am not sure of that, but may give it a try some time.