View Poll Results: Which scale color for the S110V Native 5 do you prefer?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boring Black

44 27.85%
  • Anything Else

114 72.15%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: S110V Native 5 Scale Color Poll

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hey guys, bit of newbie question here, but what exactly is a forum knife?

First post..Been a lurker for a while here, and a member on BF for a long time. But I had to comment on this thread. I have been looking at the Native 5 for a while, and just couldn't pull the trigger yet, not enough wow factor, other knives got ahead of it on the list.... But S110V and dark GREEN G10 is super WOW factor....bring it on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Agent_Ohm's Avatar
    +1 for stag arms green
    Dan

In omnia paratus

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Ev View Post
    I am happy to see that S110V will be used in a future Native 5 but in my opinion it should not be a forum knife. Making it a forum knife seems rather selfish, IMHO. There are many, many, many Spyderco users out there who are not members of the forum who I am sure would like to try S110V steel and do not want a billboard of markings all over their blade. I don't think Spyderco should leave their customers out in the dark like that.
    Agreed...I thought Sal's post about an S110V Native was referring to general production, but looking at it again, that's not certain at all, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

Control and consistency is the name of the game. It is very difficult to get consistent results when tests are done with one knife made by this guy or one knife from another maker.

We test with blades that are the same shape, same edge geometry, measured hardness, measured edge angles, consistent belts, etc.

That's why we make Mule Teams, so you can play like we do in our lab.

We are pleased to have visitors here like Cliff, Jim, Phil Wilson, Joe, etc. The opportunity to learn is very high.

BTW, we're working on a Native5 in S110V and a Mule Team as well.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------

We are all teachers and we are all students.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I am happy to see that S110V will be used in a future Native 5 but in my opinion it should not be a forum knife. Making it a forum knife seems rather selfish, IMHO. There are many, many, many Spyderco users out there who are not members of the forum who I am sure would like to try S110V steel and do not want a billboard of markings all over their blade. I don't think Spyderco should leave their customers out in the dark like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Good timing Chuck. Thanx. We're discussing that now. I think there is also some discussion about making it a forum knife. Eric's handling the projedct.sal
    Jay,
    I can be wrong, but it seems to me that Sal is talking about S110V Native run, part of which can be used for the Forum knife. The same deal, which was with Blue G10 Native.
    The smallest sprint, which I can remember was 400 pieces. There were never that many forum knives.
    Roman
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

A few thoughts...

If it is a forum knife, please leave the blade clean without too much text. Large text looks gaudy to me.

Secondly, I understand the draw to a forum knife because it represent something you love, but not because of its exclusivity. Anyone can become a forum member. Anyone can become a forum member the day before a forum exclusive would go on sale. Besides that, isn't it spyderco that we love?

Besides all that, in the other thread about a forum knife, a big talking point has been that the knife should be accessible to as many members as possible, ala UKPK. Are we just throwing that out the window because a shiny piece of 110v got flashed before our eyes. With this knife, not only will it not be as accessible to those with restrictive laws, but it may be financially out of reach as well.
    Do no harm. Do know harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    A few thoughts...

If it is a forum knife, please leave the blade clean without too much text. Large text looks gaudy to me.

Secondly, I understand the draw to a forum knife because it represent something you love, but not because of its exclusivity. Anyone can become a forum member. Anyone can become a forum member the day before a forum exclusive would go on sale. Besides that, isn't it spyderco that we love?

Besides all that, in the other thread about a forum knife, a big talking point has been that the knife should be accessible to as many members as possible, ala UKPK. Are we just throwing that out the window because a shiny piece of 110v got flashed before our eyes. With this knife, not only will it not be as accessible to those with restrictive laws, but it may be financially out of reach as well.
    These are all very good points...but it was Sal who suggested that the N5 might be a forum knife.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    Jay,
    I can be wrong, but it seems to me that Sal is talking about S110V Native run, part of which can be used for the Forum knife. The same deal, which was with Blue G10 Native.
    The smallest sprint, which I can remember was 400 pieces. There were never that many forum knives.
    Roman
    Ahh, very good - thanks for updating that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jay_Ev's Avatar
    Jay,
    Roman
    I see now. That is good info. BTW, the purple forum Native was only 300 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post
    Spyderco.com Forum Native - C41PPR - USA Made Native with Purple FRN Scales, Full Flat Grind CPM-S30V, PlainEdge Blade. Engraved on the front of the blade with the logo attached. Silver Clip. This is the only USA Made Native that we've ever done with a Full Flat Grind, so this truly will be a one of a kind. The purple will be a little darker than that of the Purple Ladybug. I don't have an image, but once we do a Pilot run, I'll be able to post a picture.

MSRP - $109.95
    Spyderco.com Forum Member Price - $65.97 (40% Discount)

Limited 300 piece Sprint Run
    <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Ahh, very good - thanks for updating that.
    You welcome. But this is just my understanding, which can be wrong. I just want a little special Forum knife.
    Of cause this is not Milly, but I love FFG Natives.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    These are all very good points...but it was Sal who suggested that the N5 might be a forum knife.
    Might be, might not be. Doesn't mean I'm wrong or right, but if the decision was obvious it wouldn't be up in the air like it is.
    Do no harm. Do know harm.

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar
    The trouble with making an S110V knife with bolsters and expensive scales is that it seems foolish beyond belief to end up with a $250 or more knife, that is going to be a paperweight.

Make it the dark green G10 that the majority seem to like, and make it a sprint...a knife that some might save and put away, but a lot will use. It deserves to be used. Maybe give us forum members a discount and the advanced sale option, but make it available for people to use. Spyderco has always said that they make knives to USE. So G-10 keeps it affordable and makes it much more of a user knife.

If we get a G-10 native with S110V I will buy 2...I will use one as hard as I ever use a knife, and I will put one away for use later on. We get a $300 fancy Ti bolstered Native it will sit there and be useless for me and probably a lot of people.
    I also would like to see para2 in this steel, but will take Native5 over it. Just cannot understand there did I get steelnut fewer

I was looking at pre-order section at Howes and noticed that quite a few new Spydercos will hit $200+ barrier. It is hard to imagine that all of them will be a paperweights. I certainly love Ti Fluted Native much more than LionSpy. I just realized that in future I will be able to buy less knives than in the past Choices need to be made.
    Also keep in the mind that we had Forum knife three years ago and we do not know when we will have it again. Nobody asking money now, we can start saving.
    I am just going to repond to all these.
    As BH said the new knives are at the $200 barrier already so do not expect a Native 5 w/s110v to be much different. Its going to be expensive already a few minor changes to make it a nicer knife or forum knife is not going to add too much and maybe we will get some kind of discount.

I agree that adding new idea might prolong production but we are not the ones deciding. Sal & team already mentioned possibly making this a forum knife, not us and they are the ones ready to work on the scales. Sal mentioned he wanted to watch this thread so see where we take it and help with ideas. For all we know they could have already made a decision. It doesn't hurt to put other ideas out there and Sal & team will decide what they want then they are ready. We are not prolonging anything.

I use all my knives no matter what the cost; thats why i buy them. I can't help it if they turn out to be expensive. I do not have any shelf queens. i know others feel differently on what they do with their knives because of cost. Regular production knives this year look like they will be around the $200 barrier. I do not like the price, but I guarantee I will still use them. So the comment about Spyderco making affordable knives so they are users is kind of null/void.
    Even if they keep this knife a regular production model and choose not to make it a forum knife; it will be expensive. I will buy one no matter what, but if it becomes a forum knife, I will buy 2.

Maybe they can do a forum knife with a certain # of knives and still do regular production. The only difference really would be the writing on the blade. Its obvious that Sal & Team will be making the forum knife and just look at our ideas to help them decide, we are not the ones actually designing it or making the choices, just suggestions.

I am not picking fights, I am just expressing my opinions. However It does look like most of us agree on Dark green of some sort so maybe thats what Sal will go with and I am happy with that. I just think if its a Forum knife we should go the extra mile
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

Spyderco Forum Registered User demtek9's Avatar
    I think that if Strider can do a SnG in S110V and keep it within the same cost range as thier S30V model, then Spyderco could achieve the same with an S110V Native. Secondary market prices will jump when they are sold out, but I just don't see this hitting $200+
    ...oh you know why!

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I am just going to repond to all these.
    As BH said the new knives are at the $200 barrier already so do not expect a Native 5 w/s110v to be much different. Its going to be expensive already a few minor changes to make it a nicer knife or forum knife is not going to add too much and maybe we will get some kind of discount.
    Except that the changes that are being brough up now...are things like Ti bolsters...which will add quite a bit to the cost.

And a forum knife should be accessible to as many people as possible. I personally have no issues with spending $200+ on a knife that is going to give me years of use. But...once you start adding Ti bolsters and driving the cost up, you are likely to see fewer people interested or able to afford it.

Plus, in the past forum knives have mainly been fairly low cost knives that are more or less the same as a standard production knife. Why this sudden urge for everyone to build their ultimate dream knife as the forum knife. Can't we just be happy that a) Sal and Co are thinking about doing a forum knife for us and b) that it might be such a great steel upgrade like going from S35VN to S110V?
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User darkstar29's Avatar
    I'd be happy with any color..so long as it isn't garish..anything pink or purple or light blue or bright green or orange will close my wallet right quick. I plan on using this knife, and will never carry anything like that.. Something in a deep, dark Earth tone is ideal.. Or a red so deep and dark it can appear black..
    As far as a potential price point.. Obviously, something closer to 1 bill is preferred over 2 bills. But I'd still get one if it ends up being that expensive.. Just because.. If it's going to be a forum knife, it ought to be something great..
    I walk away slow tonight,
    and cut through the air
    with a curse, like a knife.

Just to keep the opinions going.......I give a thumbs down to bolsters of any kind.....

Foliage green. Loved it when they were using a lot a few years ago. Missing it now. Would love to see it back.
    No man can ask for greater gifts than wisdom and patience.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    IMO a forum knife should be in the expense range that MOST of the forum members would be able to afford and or want to spend.

That would be best for Spyderco and the customers both in the end.

A dream knife really isn't a realistic thought process for a forum knife and the expense would be a huge deterrent for the majority.

Customs are the way to go for a dream knife, that way each person can get what they want or have the options, their only limit is their own wallet.

Spyderco Forum Registered User demtek9's Avatar
    Agreed....no bolsters on a Native
    ...oh you know why!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Agreed with Ankerson. Forum knives should be attainable to the masses. While I don't see a 110v Native G10 hittin $200 on the primary market, it's going to shut out some folks out who are great contributers of this place.
    Last edited by Blerv; 01-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf