Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stropman strops

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar

Stropman strops

I just ordered some stuff from this guy, any idea what micron each paste is? Green white red and coarse black

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Contact info????

Quote Originally Posted by Popsickle View Post
    I just ordered some stuff from this guy, any idea what micron each paste is? Green white red and coarse black
    What's his website URL? I've heard of this guy some time back but I've not had any first hand knowledge of the quality of his stuff.

That's interesting that there is a guy/company that specializes in strops. Because there is a lot of different things you can do to a good working edge with a strop.

The one strop I have that is considered a professional grade strop is one I got from a Barber Supply company. It is one made of Russian Boar hide and I've been told it's the best strop material there is.

I do want to know more about this vendor/dealer so please tell us more
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cscoop's Avatar
    Pretty straight forward, just google stropman.
    http://stropman.com/
    Looks like pretty good prices. Never have dealt with him.
    We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    Got a large strop from him about a month ago. Choose green and black compounds.

Love it. But not really as into stropping as I would like to be... need to learn about it more and see if I could get some mirrored edges.
    Come Join Us Click Here

Also Lee Valley

Some of these newer blade steels especially would benefit edge-wise from a good quality stropping. Even using the edges of my leather Spyderco Doublestuff sharpening stone case just seems to make all the difference in the world for tuning up an already sharp edge.

I will definitely check out this guy's stuff. I remember that Japan Woodworker catalog has a lot of diamond dust and other sharpening compounds.

Also I remember "Lee Valley" being a vendor/dealer that had some high quality strops.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo7809 View Post
    Got a large strop from him about a month ago. Choose green and black compounds.

Love it. But not really as into stropping as I would like to be... need to learn about it more and see if I could get some mirrored edges.
    Cosmo,
    I too just placed an order from Robert (Stropman) and got the same combo as you. Pecan Large double sided with Black & Green compounds. He seems to have great customer service. I recieved the order confirmation and shipping info along with a personal response within less than 2 hours of placing my order. I am really looking forward to honing my technique (no pun intended).
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Popo: Yellow paste works as a conditioner for the leather side of your strop.

- Red Sharpening Paste is very coarse with a particle size of 2 to 4 microns. Use this paste when you want to refresh the edge of say a slightly dull razor. To be used on paddle strops.

- Green Sharpening Paste is coarse with a particle size of 6 microns and may only be used on a very dull razor. To be used on paddle strops.

- White Paste is used to refresh the linen side of your strop.

-0.5 Diamond Paste used to create a very fine sharp edge.....15,000 grit

Now if we talking sticks The Black is Very Coarse (very Low Grit,sorry forgot the exact number) The Red (Rouge is 2-3 Microns about 8,000 grit and the ) The Green is the equivalent to 0.5 Microns with a 15,000 grit

Seems like the Diamond Pastes work faster than the sticks, but the final outcome will be the same. And it's probably easier to get a polished edge with the sticks then the fine misty look on the edge left behind by the pastes...That being said I have found the that the misty non polished edge cuts just as good and is just as smooth in cutting as the high polished edge.
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    I use strops about any time I touch up an edge. Sometimes that's all I need to regain a razor edge. I can get a knife very sharp with fine and ultra fine stones but no matter how sharp I have a knife, the strop will improve it.

Funny thing is if you really want to you can spend over $100 and up on stropping tools. Of course you won't end up using all that stuff but you will establish a method you like and can sell the rest of the stuff. Here's the funny part IMO. Murray Carter is a well known knife maker and sharpener. I saw a video of him sharpening a knife that he was going to shave with. He used two Japanese water stones, then he stropped his knife with Japanese newspaper layed acroll a wooden block or something. He said Japanese newspaper is better than American newspaper. He was kidding. If one of the highly skilled sharpeners around just uses newspaper why do I spend so much money of fancy stuff? I was surprised in the video because he said he had never heard of slicing toilet paper as a way to test sharpness. He tried it and he sliced it but not REALLY cleanly. He did shave with the knife also. Nothing personal Chuck but he didn't bleed as much as you did. It seemed that slicing TP cleanly requires a sharper edge than what you need to shave your face.

I subscribed to the Japanese Times newspaper for new strops.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User C.L.L 97's Avatar
    I'm thinking about buying the ebony compact strop with green and white compound from him. I want to know if I can get mirror polished edges with those compounds after using my gatco sharpener? Idk if I should get the green/white or green/red combos.
    Caden's 's-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
    Newest manix 2 lightweight.
    top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly33.5,all sprint para2's
    Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar

I have a strop I got from him with the green and white. I bought one size before realizing all the different sizes and he upgraded me to the next size up free of charge. We had a good bit of emails back and forth and I would say his customer service rivals the best of them. Haven't used the strop yet but seems to be well made.

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.L 97 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying the ebony compact strop with green and white compound from him. I want to know if I can get mirror polished edges with those compounds after using my gatco sharpener? Idk if I should get the green/white or green/red combos.
    The most important thing about using a strop is having your edge in VERY good shape prior to stropping. For sharpness improvement the blade needs to be very sharp already. For mirror bevels the bevels need to have no large scratches from coarser stones. A strop will not remove deep scratches, ever. So it will depend on the grit of the stones you use with your gatco. The only gatco product I've seen is a small piece of plastic with small ceramic rods in a V shape. You just slide the edge in the V a few times. If that is what you have it's not going to get your edge ready for a strop. Does your Gatco have different grit stones? If so you will need to progress all the way to the finest grit you have. I'm sure the compounds you are considering will be fine as long as the edge has been prepared.

What grit stones will you use before you strop?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

From the eBay seller

You have asked a good question and the short answer is no. The long answer is... I don't state a grit because the sieve size allows a range of fines not a specific size.* The sieve size allows fines that when converted to microns and then to grit it would lead you to believe up to 320 grit.* This sounds absurd but the*sieve size of the abrasive particles does matter but the binders or base as it is called has as much or more to do with the "grit" as the rest of the formula. * This is because of the various absorptive characteristics of the fine compound particles themselves which causes them to be very much different than other abrasive materials that can be given a "grit" or micron range.* How the fines absorb some of the binder or base material is the key. *The black is coarse (dry) fast cutting aluminum oxide, the medium quick cutting with polishing action white bar is alumina, and the fine green cromium oxide is very little cutting action and all polish ( all 3 with different and mysterious binders. * Again the black is the most aggressive with good cutting action no polish (I use after honing or if a small nick might strop out), white is med. cutting and polish (the one I use most of the time), and the green has little to no cutting but good polishing thus the fine.* The red is a finer red rouge that is no cut all polish (added because I got requests for an even finer compound).** Instead of coarse, medium, fine and finer I have been tempted to call them not so fine, fine, finer, finest. *There is more difference between black and white, less difference between white and green, and even less between green and red. *How each compound works and how quickly is relative to the various types of steel.* Each compound will give results on different steels but may take more or less time to achieve the same results for the given steel. Sorry for the long wait for the reply. Thanks for your interest and let me know if I can help.
    Robert

- apluslandscape

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    The most important thing about using a strop is having your edge in VERY good shape prior to stropping. For sharpness improvement the blade needs to be very sharp already. For mirror bevels the bevels need to have no large scratches from coarser stones. A strop will not remove deep scratches, ever. So it will depend on the grit of the stones you use with your gatco. The only gatco product I've seen is a small piece of plastic with small ceramic rods in a V shape. You just slide the edge in the V a few times. If that is what you have it's not going to get your edge ready for a strop. Does your Gatco have different grit stones? If so you will need to progress all the way to the finest grit you have. I'm sure the compounds you are considering will be fine as long as the edge has been prepared.

Jack
    I think he may be refering to the Gatco version of the lansky system called the Edgemate (IIRC). I used this for years as my first means of sharpening my knives once I realized what a nice knife was. It had 4 different grits leading up to 800 I believe, but I could be wrong.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post

Jack
    Thanks Jack for replying... Yes like XCEPTNL said my gatco is the one with different grit stones, but I don't know what grits they are. There is coarse/medium/fine grits that I can get a razor sharp edge that pops hair off my arms, the edges still have scratches but if I had the ultra fine stones I could probably get the scratches out, and then use the strop. But can I get a mirror edge with the white/green compounds?

Also I don't really like the gatco because I can't get the right angle every time, and I'm going to Cabelas in a few days, and should I exchange it for the sharpmaker and pay the extra money?
    top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly33.5,all sprint para2's

Received my large double-sided today and while on my lunch break loaded the respective sides with the black & green compounds. My pimped white delica has been begging for a mirrored edge. It took around 10 or 12 strokes per side of the bevel per grade of compound and the results were terrific. The letter included with his strops goes to great lengths to express how much he values his customer's 100% satisfaction. I was impressed with his product and the whole experience I will buy from him again and recommend his products to others.
    My 's:

*Landon*

You got a mirrored edge with the black/green compounds?

The VG-10 on my delica had already been touched up on the UF rod prior to the stropping. I started with the black and then transitioned to the green. I could see my own reflection in the edge once I was done. I'm not saying it is a perfect mirror, but for that little effort it blew me away. I will post pics later.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Well once I fired up the camera, it is more mirrored than I first thought. The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by xceptnl; 03-05-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.L 97 View Post
    Thanks Jack for replying... Yes like XCEPTNL said my gatco is the one with different grit stones, but I don't know what grits they are. There is coarse/medium/fine grits that I can get a razor sharp edge that pops hair off my arms, the edges still have scratches but if I had the ultra fine stones I could probably get the scratches out, and then use the strop. But can I get a mirror edge with the white/green compounds?

I'm sure you can get a good mirror finish with the compounds. I've never use these compounds but I think they are the same thing several people here use and get great results. I've only used diamond paste for my strops. Depending on how coarse the compounds are will determine if they would get the scratches out of your edges now. It sounds like you definately need finer stones than what you have.

Also I don't really like the gatco because I can't get the right angle every time, and I'm going to Cabelas in a few days, and should I exchange it for the sharpmaker and pay the extra money?

If your Gatco has a clamp that holds the blade I'd say definately get a Sharpmaker. I've used a sharpening system that has a clamp to hold the blade and it got my knives VERY sharp but like you said consistan angles were about impossible. Sometimes I'd have different angles on opposite sides of the blade. I've never used a Sharpmaker but I know it does a very good job. You will be able to get nice shiny bevels with it. It comes with a med. and fine stone but there is an Ultra Fine stone set that is very fine. I have the UF bench stone and it is a great stone. Some people with more skill than I have can get hair whittling edges with it.
    Jack

Jack thanks for the reply... Ya the clamp type sharpeners arent my favorite because of the angles, and are hard to get FFG blades in the clamp, but they do get knives very sharp if you take your time, so I probably will get the sharpmaker and the strop.
    Thanks for all the help.