Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: C123WD Spyderco Sage4 Backlock

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    For some reason, this is just not working for me. Am I the only one that thinks the black hardware was an odd choice?
    Thanks for that thought. I've held off on this knife for some reason I couldn't put my finger on, but that's it. Black hardware... hmmm...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Really, I can see it. The grain in the wood on my Sage 4 is dark colored, the black hardware goes with it.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Really, I can see it. The grain in the wood on my Sage 4 is dark colored, the black hardware goes with it.
    I like the choice of black hardware, too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post
    I like the choice of black hardware, too.
    I'm terrible at picturing things other than what I'm looking at so it's hard for me to say I would like it with silver screws even though I'm sure they would look good. Even so, I like the black screws. They blend in nicely with the wood and are an attractive contrast with the titanium. I'm still carrying the knife without interruption. The new is gone but I still like the knife just as much. The Sage4 HAS moved ahead of the Sage1 in my preference. Sorry Sage1. We can still be friends though.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Got the Sage4 23 days ago and have carried it since. I have no intention of putting anything else in my pocket instead of the Sage4 any time soon. I may carry one or two other knives also, but the Sage4 seems to be a keeper. Until something else comes along the Sage4 is definately a favorite along with a Gayle Bradley, Chaparral and Sage1 and a couple of close runner ups. I hope to add the ti Chaparral in a few months.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I'm not complaining but my Sage4 developed a tiny amount of vertical blade play yesterday. It is very slight but noticable. I don't consider this a problem at all. A knife not being "perfect" of course is somewhat of a downer but I've never had a problem with vertical blade play with back lock knives and this is not the first knife I've seen with it. Back locks having vertical blade play is almost normal for the lock. I only mention it because this model has the stop pin mod. I thought Spyderco would want to know how the knives are doing in the field and want to hear from the users. I'd like to know as well if anyone else is seeing vertical blade play. I never had a problem with it because after the blade is pushed up by force applied to the edge any back lock knife is just as strong as any back lock with no blade play. I haven't used the knive in any cutting that is terribly hard. The hardest thing the knife has gone through as far as the lock/pivot is concerned is me flicking the blade open instead of just opening it. I've heard people advising against this and I'll stop. I only do it for fun and don't consider it a good way to open a knife. Never thought it would do any harm though and not sure flicking the knife open cause this issue. I've done it with about any knife I own (except my bug ).

I'm not planning on sending this knife to Spyderco for a warranty evaluation unless they ask me to so they can evaluate it. If this is going to be a common issue with the Sage4 they may want to figure out why. Other than this the knife is perfect. Absolutely NO horizontal play. The lock/pivot has gotten very smooth and the blade is falling when the lock is released easier and easier. That may be due to me using Nano-oil for the past few days but that's another subject (and thread BTW).

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I'm not complaining but my Sage4 developed a tiny amount of vertical blade play yesterday. It is very slight but noticable. I don't consider this a problem at all. A knife not being "perfect" of course is somewhat of a downer but I've never had a problem with vertical blade play with back lock knives and this is not the first knife I've seen with it. Back locks having vertical blade play is almost normal for the lock. I only mention it because this model has the stop pin mod. I thought Spyderco would want to know how the knives are doing in the field and want to hear from the users. I'd like to know as well if anyone else is seeing vertical blade play. I never had a problem with it because after the blade is pushed up by force applied to the edge any back lock knife is just as strong as any back lock with no blade play. I haven't used the knive in any cutting that is terribly hard. The hardest thing the knife has gone through as far as the lock/pivot is concerned is me flicking the blade open instead of just opening it. I've heard people advising against this and I'll stop. I only do it for fun and don't consider it a good way to open a knife. Never thought it would do any harm though and not sure flicking the knife open cause this issue. I've done it with about any knife I own (except my bug ).

I'm not planning on sending this knife to Spyderco for a warranty evaluation unless they ask me to so they can evaluate it. If this is going to be a common issue with the Sage4 they may want to figure out why. Other than this the knife is perfect. Absolutely NO horizontal play. The lock/pivot has gotten very smooth and the blade is falling when the lock is released easier and easier. That may be due to me using Nano-oil for the past few days but that's another subject (and thread BTW).

Jack
    Update from above post.

Vertical blade play turned into the blade not staying in the handle when closed 2 days later or so. I don't know if the two issues were because of the same problem. A tiny tiny jerk would let the blade fall out about 1/4". I sent it to Spyderco and they replaced it. Since then it became and still is my primary EDC knife. After about a month or so it is broken in and locks solid with no play and closes easily. I also have the G-10 Manbug attached to a Fenix LD01 flashlight that I also carry but the Sage4 is my favorite primary knife. The Sage1 was my favorite (or GB or Chaparral ) but the Sage4 is #1. It has the same size as the Sage1 and the strength of the GB (or close enough) as far as I can tell. So, for my likes the Sage4 is going to get all the carry time from now on. After many many years of buying $10-$20 knives I decided to spend more money and get ONE knife I really liked. My main goal was better edge retention. S30V has proven to be plenty good enough for my needs even if not the absolute very best. If the Sage4 was in my hands about 5 years ago I may not have bought the other 25 or 30 knives most of which were Spyderco knives. Well played Spyderco. I have really enjoyed getting and using the knives. I'm not saying I'm not going to buy another knife. But, I'll know more about what to expect I think. The new Chaparral is definately in my future.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User Timbo114's Avatar
    now THIS grain is just magnificent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nature calls View Post
    Bright sunlight really shows off the beauty of this Arizona Ironwood.

This is an old thread but.....Yes!!!that is some very nice wood. Mine is a very dark redish color.... It's nice but nothing like that.

Sage4 passing the test of time

Read posts 65 and 67 if you want. After 10 months the Sage4 is still in my pocket. I have carried the BF (formerly known as the GB ) a few times but only for a slight change to add a little variety. Can't help it, the GB is just a GREAT knife. Anyway, since this thread popped up again I'll mention that the Sage4 is still here. My normal EDC is in the picture in my signature. Here is the picture of the Sage4 and Manbug (that I also mentioned in the above posts) so it's easier to see. The Manbug is also passing the test of time. These two have spent more consistant time carried since I got them than any other knife I've owned since the day I actually owned more than one knife at a time. They are a little different now but not better. I have changed both knives for fun but the knives are the same great knives and are continuing to pass the test of time.

Thank you Spyderco.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MattBPKT's Avatar
    Just picked up my first Sage 4! Beautiful and suited to virtually any task.
    Forever searching for the best pocket knife and rare Spyderco's!

Quote Originally Posted by MattBPKT View Post
    Just picked up my first Sage 4! Beautiful and suited to virtually any task.
    Great choice IMO. One of my 3 favorite knives.

Jack

Just picked up a Sage 4 in December. I love the leaf blade, the look, the feel... But I think I'm spoiled on the completely effortless deployment of the Sage 2. Sage 4 seems wide and cumbersome, even after a couple hundred openings. Am I just spoiled on the Sage 2, or do others find it smoother as well? I'll admit up front, I also have a LG CR Sebenza AND Insingo, but also 20+ other Spydies...

Quote Originally Posted by baldanthony View Post
    Just picked up a Sage 4 in December. I love the leaf blade, the look, the feel... But I think I'm spoiled on the completely effortless deployment of the Sage 2. Sage 4 seems wide and cumbersome, even after a couple hundred openings. Am I just spoiled on the Sage 2, or do others find it smoother as well? I'll admit up front, I also have a LG CR Sebenza AND Insingo, but also 20+ other Spydies...
    In addition to the first things to try like adjusting the pivot and applying oil I think back locks as a rule are a bit stiffer because of the pressure of the lockbar on the tang. This will also put pressure on the pivot pin increasing friction as the balde rotates. Other than that I don't think any knife will be much smoother as the Sage1 or GB. I haven't owned a Sage2 but the liner or frame locks will be easier "as a rule" because the lockbar is against the side of the tang and not creating additional pressure between parts just by design. My Sage4 has always been "not as smooth" as others. Even some backlocks are have less resistance than the Sage4. I think it's just a characteristic of this knife. I'm biased because the Sage4 is definately one of my favorites.

Jack

You should try the sage 3 for smoothness ; amazingly light !
    You can apply a few drops of nano-oil as i do on all spyderco's.
    But in general: opening a linerlock or framelock only the detent ball and the washers make contact.
    Opening a lockback : the lockbar makes contact with more friction and force than a detent ball !

kind regards,
    dirk

Spyderco Forum Registered User MattBPKT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk de wit View Post
    You should try the sage 3 for smoothness ; amazingly light !
    You can apply a few drops of nano-oil as i do on all spyderco's.
    But in general: opening a linerlock or framelock only the detent ball and the washers make contact.
    Opening a lockback : the lockbar makes contact with more friction and force than a detent ball !

kind regards,
    dirk
    I second the Nano-Oil....amazing product which brings all my knives back to life!
    Forever searching for the best pocket knife and rare Spyderco's!