Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C123WD Spyderco Sage4 Backlock

Spyderco Forum Registered User computernut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I've never owned anything titanium before. Is there anything I need to know about how to take care of it? Will it develop a patina? Any help is appreciated.
    I do like the Sage4. It has more heft that the Sage1. It is the same width and feels the same unless you want to consider the cutout for the liner lock on the S1. Very solid lockup.
    With other titanium things I have (watches, flashlight, etc), they get scratched up quite easily but I think it adds character. I've never seen anything like a patina, it's just like stainless steel but less shiny and it's lighter. It won't rust in salt-water either. Titanium is a very cool metal:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yea! Got my Sage4 in the mail today. It is just what I expected. The Sage feel and beautiful as well. There is no blade play at all but the pivot is a little tight. I'll loosen it up after I use it and get it broken in a little. I'm glad I came acrosss the "hot deal" at Howe's. THat's how the knife is listed. If it wasn't for that I would have waited. Howe's did like everyone says. Right on top of shipping.

Looking inside around the pivot I believe the Sage4 has a lock design like the Chaparral. I never heard about that (if I'm right). Does anyone know for sure? Please answer this question so I don't have to take it apart. Just kidding, I won't do that for a while. BTW, has anyone taken theirs apart? I'm wondering how the bolsters will make it different from a lockback with solid scales.

Gotta go, have a knife to play with.

Jack
    That's great, I got mine yesterday too, which surprised me since I only ordered it late Friday afternoon. I forgot to select the free shipping though . Not a big deal. I hadn't really been planning on getting one yet, y'all talked me into it . I'm not carrying it today yet, want to keep the Ti unscratched for awhile.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Looks like the Sage4 has a stop-pin like the Chaparral according to Sal: link

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodloos View Post
    That's great, I got mine yesterday too, which surprised me since I only ordered it late Friday afternoon. I forgot to select the free shipping though . Not a big deal. I hadn't really been planning on getting one yet, y'all talked me into it . I'm not carrying it today yet, want to keep the Ti unscratched for awhile.
    I wasn't going to get one for a while. It was on a list but not on a "near future" list. The "hot deal" on Howe's snagged me. It was completely unfair of him to offer the low price. Almost like holding a gun to my head. It's been in my pocket since Mr. Mailman brought it. Well, I didn't sleep with it.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    Looks like the Sage4 has a stop-pin like the Chaparral according to Sal: link
    Another great thing about the Sage4 IMO. The Chaparral had the gritty issue and I wondered if it was because of the stop-pin scraping against the liners. If it was, it seems to have been figured out and corrected. My sage4 is very smooth and quiet until it clicks shut and locked. What a great knife.

Jack
    PS edit: The grittyness of the Chaparral worked it's way out of my knife. Now it opens perfectly.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I realized today that the Boye Dent isn't on the lock bar of the Sage4. I'm glad it isn't there on this knife. The lock bar spring is stronger than any other lock back I've used. You really have to push down on the lock bar and maybe not having the dent is better in this case. How does anyone else feel about this? Is everyone's Sage4 spring extra strong?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    For some reason, this is just not working for me. Am I the only one that thinks the black hardware was an odd choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgrr View Post
    You're not the only one. It doesn't make sense. It makes the screws/clip stand out even more than it should.
    I hadn't thought about the screws. It boils down to do you want the screws hidded or used as part of the appearance. On this knife the screw on the bolster and pivot screw would need to be silver and leave the screws on the scales alone. That would make them blend in to the knife more without drawing attention to themselves. I'm looking at mine and like the way the black screws stand out on the bolster. But, I have no imagination. I can't accurately picture the knife with silver screws unless I'm looking at it. Most products that are meant to be beautiful have the screws, nails, etc. hidden. Like furniture. Screws are covered with wooden plugs, putty then stained, etc. So, even though this isn't a deal breaker for me at all, it is something to consider and I'm sure Spyderco considered it then made a decision.

I wonder. Is there somewhere you can get replacement screws of different material or color with the same specs as the ones in Spyderco knives? Are the screws made special for each knife or are the knives make to match already in production screws? I imagine it's the second option. The main problem would be the length of replacement screws. With care you can cut bolts without messing up the threads where it is cut. I've never had to cut a bolt as short as these though.

Jack

I like the black hardware, especially the black clip like the Sage1. Wearing jeans it was never a problem with my Sages until I went to a funeral and wore dress pants and all the silver clips stood out like a sore thumb. The black screws disappear into the wood and the screws in the bolsters are a nice contrast to the titanium.

I'm wondering why the stop pin in the Sage4 and Chaparral haven't been advertised more. It isn't even mentioned in the description of the knives in the catalogs. This is a pretty significant upgrade I think. Then again I may not even know the real purpose for it. I think it is to stop vertical play and make the knife or lock stronger but I may be way off.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    This is one knife I need to see in person before I buy, I wanna hand select for the wood, im very picky when it comes to wood figure...

any one know of a dealer in Atlanta that might have these in stock soon?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Is the Sage 4 a normal production item? Production will continue until the sales do not justify it?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Is the Sage 4 a normal production item? Production will continue until the sales do not justify it?
    No, it's not a normal production knife. They only made 247 of them and they are all sold. Sorry. Just kidding. Yes, I believe they will be around like the other Sages. It's not a sprint run, dlr exclusive or anything. One thing that it is though is a very nice knife IMO. I really like mine and think you should get one if you haven't yet. Your kids don't really need those new shoes.

Jack

It seems like a model that is too fancy/expensive. I was thinking it could possibly be "limited production".

I also didn't know if they were gonna run the wood/titanium then switch to a more normal G-10 version.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Sage4 lock spring strength.

Had the knife 2 weeks now. It has gotten much easier to release the lock with out causing undo stress on my thumb. At first I had to use what felt like a lot of strength to push the bar down far enough for the blade to just fall on it's own. Now I can do that every time without feeling any excessive force is needed. It's still stronger than any other lock back I have but not uncomfortable to use. It's not entirely that my right hand thumb has gotten stronger because I tried using my left hand which I never use and it's the same story. Much easier. That's only one reason I'm liking this knife more and more every day. All I have carried since I got the Sage4 is it and my Jester/flashlight combo.

I posted this for anyone who gets a Sage4 new and is worried about the strong lock being a pain to use for the rest of their life. It gets better so wait a couple of weeks before you get frustrated and mail me your brand new Sage4 for free.

Jack

That's good to know. I noticed that this isn't the normal mid lock and the description says that it is a "Front Lock" so the release button is up further than what I'm used to. That should mean that you won't get the same mechanical advantage on the spring as the mid lock.

Thanks for commenting on this, Jack.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Mine has definitely gotten easier to open and close, I can actually flick it open if I really dig my thumb into the hole and flick my thumb with some force.

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    Mine has definitely gotten easier to open and close, I can actually flick it open if I really dig my thumb into the hole and flick my thumb with some force.
    Me too. I really like this knife. I think I'll give everything else away.

Jack

Me too. I really like this knife. I think I'll give everything else away.

Jack
    I call dibs on your ZDP stuff.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I call dibs on your ZDP stuff.
    I mentioned giving everything away to my wife. She asked how much money that was. I told her. She beat me senseless until I changed my mind. Sorry.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'll take the Gayle Bradley!