Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C123WD Spyderco Sage4 Backlock

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The ironwood looks very nice, even though it does look much darker than the original pics.
    I can't wait to get one, it's high on my wishlist

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Truely a magnificant finish on this Sage!!! I love it!!!

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Truely a magnificant finish on this Sage!!! I love it!!!

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Bright sunlight really shows off the beauty of this Arizona Ironwood.

Last edited by nature calls; 03-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bolster's Avatar
    Oh, now I understand the long bolster...they had the bolster meet the wood in the middle of the lock, to emphasize ("celebrate") the lock!

Light finally goes on.
    Congratulations—your brainwashing is complete!
    Perform ongoing maintenance by daily consumption of mainstream media.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    @freetradz: yours is the same as ours; its ironwood. Someone posted around here about the wood. They all very depeing on age of the tree and where the piece is cut/used from the tree

Its a very unique wood. I really like it
    I'm considering a Sage4. It's pretty expensive though. If they lower the price by $2 I'd definately get one, but I can't afford it at the prices I've seen.

When I first saw the Sage4 picture I hated it. I mean the picture in the printed catalog and the Adobe version. The picture on the on-line catalog looks like the pictures above and I love that. Thank god they changed it.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Well, guess what. I did a little shopping and found a Sage4 for $13 less than the price that was in my head. So I had to order it. I didn't want to but I had to stick to my word in my previous post about finding it cheaper. Now I want it to be here.

I'm trying to pretend to be mad. Did it work?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Well, guess what. I did a little shopping and found a Sage4 for $13 less than the price that was in my head. So I had to order it. I didn't want to but I had to stick to my word in my previous post about finding it cheaper. Now I want it to be here.

I'm trying to pretend to be mad. Did it work?

Jack
    not knowing the price that was in your head. How much did you get it for and where?
    Thanks, enjoy your Sage.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    not knowing the price that was in your head. How much did you get it for and where?
    Thanks, enjoy your Sage.
    Howe's, $155.00, select free shipping. That was the cheapest I have seen. I hadn't done much shopping on different sites but one of the cheapest in my experience was higher even before shipping.

Jack

that's a good deal. last I looked they were 168 at howe's and elsewhere. of course shipping is always free there. unless, you think you need insurance for a lionspy that went missing for a few days.

Howe's, $155.00, select free shipping. That was the cheapest I have seen. I hadn't done much shopping on different sites but one of the cheapest in my experience was higher even before shipping.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar

Jack
    Holy crap I might need to buy another at that price. Last I saw Jim had them on sale for $162 iirc. You will really like the knife. They are so much better in person than the pics really show. Glad you jumped on it!
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

Holy crap I might need to buy another at that price. Last I saw Jim had them on sale for $162 iirc. You will really like the knife. They are so much better in person than the pics really show. Glad you jumped on it!
    Once again this forum gets the credit for another sale. The first picture of the Sage4 was unlikable IMO. If the knife looked like that picture I wouldn't have gotten it unless I wanted to collect all the Sage's. It's not like I didn't think it was pretty. It seemed a little on the ugly side to me. The picture is still out there in the printed catalog possibly turning people off. That is just my opinion of course. Then here comes this thread with pictures of the final production. MAN, what a difference. Beautiful knife. I haven't seen it mentioned but I'm thinking the wood will make it easy on a pocket. That means it shouldn't ruin a pair of nice slacks. The knife is beautiful enough to carry with any attire even though it may be a little big for a gentleman's knife. Not an issue for me since I can't remember the last time I was called a gentleman.

Jack

While I absolutely love the sage 2, this one doesn't really do it for me...

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar
    Once again this forum gets the credit for another sale. The first picture of the Sage4 was unlikable IMO. If the knife looked like that picture I wouldn't have gotten it unless I wanted to collect all the Sage's. It's not like I didn't think it was pretty. It seemed a little on the ugly side to me. The picture is still out there in the printed catalog possibly turning people off. That is just my opinion of course. Then here comes this thread with pictures of the final production. MAN, what a difference. Beautiful knife. I haven't seen it mentioned but I'm thinking the wood will make it easy on a pocket. That means it shouldn't ruin a pair of nice slacks. The knife is beautiful enough to carry with any attire even though it may be a little big for a gentleman's knife. Not an issue for me since I can't remember the last time I was called a gentleman.

Jack
    I agree. I would have bought one as picture just to add to the collection, but real world; this knife is a winner. I am not sure why they listed these pics that are nothing like actual production.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger because of you. I shouldn't as 1 is enough, but ea knife is unique and no 2 are alike. I am a sucker for wood, especially wood like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crankitup View Post
    While I absolutely love the sage 2, this one doesn't really do it for me...
    Everyones entitled to their opinions, but I really think your missing out. The only thing I dislike is the back lock. i would have rather this one with a different lock, but I still love it. I am not a big fan of back locks but seems most of my knives are back locks, just because I am not going to let a lock hold me back from a good knife.

I currently have the Sage 1, 2, 4. Will eventually get the 3, but not today.
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I agree. I would have bought one as picture just to add to the collection, but real world; this knife is a winner. I am not sure why they listed these pics that are nothing like actual production.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger because of you. I shouldn't as 1 is enough, but ea knife is unique and no 2 are alike. I am a sucker for wood, especially wood like this.

Everyones entitled to their opinions, but I really think your missing out. The only thing I dislike is the back lock. i would have rather this one with a different lock, but I still love it. I am not a big fan of back locks but seems most of my knives are back locks, just because I am not going to let a lock hold me back from a good knife.

In fairness, while the color of the wood on the original advertising photos is not typical for AZ Ironwood, it can be that color. So perhaps it was just bad luck that the first sample of the Sage IV the folks in Taichung delivered to Spyderco had non-typical wood.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar

In fairness, while the color of the wood on the original advertising photos is not what I'd call typical for AZ Ironwood, it can be that color. So perhaps it was just bad luck that the first sample of the Sage IV the folks in Taichung delivered to Spyderco had non-typical wood.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

I have a terrible fear the when my Sage4 arrives it will get a running start and shove other knives out of my right front pocket. That's ok though. It has happened before and after a while I pick up one of the old reliables and enjoy them all over again. Nothing wrong with this picture after all.

Jack

Yea! Got my Sage4 in the mail today. It is just what I expected. The Sage feel and beautiful as well. There is no blade play at all but the pivot is a little tight. I'll loosen it up after I use it and get it broken in a little. I'm glad I came acrosss the "hot deal" at Howe's. THat's how the knife is listed. If it wasn't for that I would have waited. Howe's did like everyone says. Right on top of shipping.

Looking inside around the pivot I believe the Sage4 has a lock design like the Chaparral. I never heard about that (if I'm right). Does anyone know for sure? Please answer this question so I don't have to take it apart. Just kidding, I won't do that for a while. BTW, has anyone taken theirs apart? I'm wondering how the bolsters will make it different from a lockback with solid scales.

Gotta go, have a knife to play with.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User computernut's Avatar
    Looking inside around the pivot I believe the Sage4 has a lock design like the Chaparral. I never heard about that (if I'm right). Does anyone know for sure? Please answer this question so I don't have to take it apart. Just kidding, I won't do that for a while. BTW, has anyone taken theirs apart? I'm wondering how the bolsters will make it different from a lockback with solid scales.
    I was wondering this too as you can see a circular notch cut out of the liners around the pivot. I'm not about to take mine apart to find out though.

I've never owned anything titanium before. Is there anything I need to know about how to take care of it? Will it develop a patina? Any help is appreciated.

I do like the Sage4. It has more heft that the Sage1. It is the same width and feels the same unless you want to consider the cutout for the liner lock on the S1. Very solid lockup.

Jack