Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM2 Grey dyed Royal Blue

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cscoop View Post
    Does the RIT dye last or will it fade? Since water is used in the application of the dye I would think that it could affect it later on. Not sure.
    Thanks
    From everything I have read and from reviews of many that have dyed their knife scales, when properly applied (and surfaces cleaned well, dye instructions followed well, etc.), the dye holds extremely well and it will not fade much at all.

But I did get a little bit of dye on my fingers while I assembled the knife back, but it stopped quickly, so my guess it was some residue on the surface. Perhaps using that toothbrush after they have cooled off would help get all of that to go away.

My "royal purple" scales are only a couple of days old, but I see no bleeding onto my jeans/pants (but they are dark - I would wait before wearing "light" pants a little bit longer), nor onto my fingers/skin after the initial "color bleed" while assembling the knife, but I would recommend wearing darker color jeans/pants for a short while.

What I will do is try to remind myself to post images of the knife here maybe once a month or so, to give you guys an idea of long term durability

Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 01-07-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    Will, thank you so much! The pictures are very helpful. Thanks for motivating me.

Dan

Dan

Spyderco Forum Registered User PARATOM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    From everything I have read and from reviews of many that have dyed their knife scales, when properly applied (and surfaces cleaned well, dye instructions followed well, etc.), the dye holds extremely well and it will not fade much at all.

But I did get a little bit of dye on my fingers while I assembled the knife back, but it stopped quickly, so my guess it was some residue on the surface. Perhaps using that toothbrush after they have cooled off would help get all of that to go away.

My "royal purple" scales are only a couple of days old, but I see no bleeding onto my jeans/pants (but they are dark - I would wait before wearing "light" pants a little bit longer), nor onto my fingers/skin after the initial "color bleed" while assembling the knife, but I would recommend wearing darker color jeans/pants for a short while.

What I will do is try to remind myself to post images of the knife here maybe once a month or so, to give you guys an idea of long term durability

Will
    Any update on this? I'm about to rit dye some scales and am curious to see if u have had much fade?

I want to know if this stuff is durable enough to get some use without going back to the original color.

Thanks for the DIY. Awesome write up
    Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R
    There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

Quote Originally Posted by PARATOM View Post
    Any update on this? I'm about to rit dye some scales and am curious to see if u have had much fade?

I want to know if this stuff is durable enough to get some use without going back to the original color.

Thanks for the DIY. Awesome write up
    Opps, sorry about that. I meant to update this thread with more recent pictures ...

Update, yes - the dye job is working great. No fading. However, being an EDC, this knife does get bumped/scratched by other stuff in my pockets (I don't try to baby my EDC stuff), so as you can see, in a few places you can see the Blue/Purple is lighter:

I am still happy with the dye job and would certainly do it all over again

Will
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyderco Forum Registered User PARATOM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Opps, sorry about that. I meant to update this thread with more recent pictures ...

Update, yes - the dye job is working great. No fading. However, being an EDC, this knife does get bumped/scratched by other stuff in my pockets (I don't try to baby my EDC stuff), so as you can see, in a few places you can see the Blue/Purple is lighter:

I am still happy with the dye job and would certainly do it all over again

Will
    Awesome!!! Looks great. I got the royal blue and dark green Rit dye and im planning on testing it on my benchmade first (dont want to use a spydie for the guinea pig haha)

If it turns out good, i might do my manix or tenacious. I want to do my PM2 but its digicam and that is way to sexy to dye over lol

Thank again
    Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R
    There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Guy Vanderveken's Avatar
    Fantastic Job, great tutorial, and informative on the lasting of the RIT DYE.

I am a believer, I THINK MERLOT WILL BE GREAT ON MY GREY 20CP P2.

Thanks for the updates.

Cheers,
    Guy

Nice dye job - also just wanted to say that this post is the PERFECT format:

I can read it in entirety visually through pictures. And if I want more detail, you have great annotations. Thanks!

This might be a dumb question but can Para 2 black handles be dyed to any other color?

Like the purple...makes it unique and you probably wont see another one.

You are welcome

I am glad this was helpful

Will

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    This might be a dumb question but can Para 2 black handles be dyed to any other color?

Like the purple...makes it unique and you probably wont see another one.
    Yes, but you can't make anything lighter - only darker. If you go to the Rit Dye website they will give you some idea of combinations, but keep in mind that I found few starting from Grey. Also, the time in the hot bath also determines how rich/deep it gets, so it is not obvious what will the end color be given the several variables

Will

Spyderco Forum Registered User Quick Draw's Avatar
    Wow very nice work. The knife actually looks really good after it's been carried and banged up a bit. Also good choice of color to blend in with blue jeans.
    Current Spydie Count 21

Nice job wquiles, enjoyed the class.

Thank you guys - you are welcome

Spyderco Forum Registered User SaturnNyne's Avatar
    Thanks so much for sharing the details; I think this is the best looking Para I've ever seen!
    "Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
    ~ My knives list ~
    ~ Knife photos ~

Spyderco Forum Registered User SDR's Avatar
    I actually like the color of those scales much more than had they turned out the blue you intended them to be originally. Purple is sexy! Great tutorial, also. Kudos!

Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V * Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones

Thank you guys

Will
    Wanted: Superhawk - Found!