Thread: Blade Styles & Designs That You Wish Had A Spyderedge; Past Or Present

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Blade Styles & Designs That You Wish Had A Spyderedge; Past Or Present

I've been playing with Spyderco knives since the mid to late 90s and during that era of Spyder History just about every premium, mainline model was offered up in Plain edge and Spyderedge both. But unfortunately those times have changed and there are not nearly as many great models and super designs of folders and fixed blades available in Spyderedge.

But I do know that some of you have the same mindset I have concerning the Spyderedged models and many of you are like me and actually use them>> with that said I know there are a few of you that have certain Spyderco models in mind that you feel would be super with a Spyderedge that are not currently available in Spyderedge. There are also discontinued models of the past few years that were never offered up in Spdyeredge that I wish some of them would have been. For example in the first generation of the Dodo model: at one time in the first generation of that model it was at one time offered up in Spyderedge. But since it's been a Sprint model in the past 3 to 4 years I've not yet seen it re-issued in Spyderedge>> and that is unfortunate because the Dodo along with many other of the past models were super in the Spyderedge variant.

There are many of the past models that were super in Spyderedge like the Ayoob model for instance but they didn't offer up the Sprint versions in Spyderedge unfortunately. I'm sure you all have a certain model or maybe two or three Spyderco models you wish you could get with a fully Serrated blade. Hawkbill blades for instance perform much better in Spyderedge IMO. I've also wondered why they never offered one of their recurve models in Spyderedge. So which model or models of Spyderco blades do you think would excel in the Spyderedge that are not offered with it. And what past or present models that are not available in Spyderedge that you wish you could get in a full Spyderedged blade. I don't care if it's a folder, fixed blade or specialty model.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    If money were no object I'd take a SE version of every PE knife I own, but probably first on my list would be the Ulize.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

As always JD, I have to say the Captain's inner arch needed a SpyderEdge. That would have been one mean blade.

I think the Chinook would be an interesting full SE knife as well. I had two Chinook1s, in PE and CE and sold them both off but an SE would pique my interest. Not sure if it'd be able to replace my other full SE's but I'd love to be able to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    If money were no object I'd take a SE version of every PE knife I own, but probably first on my list would be the Ulize.
    That's extremely interesting EVIL because I've also wondered just how much better a recurve would be like in full Spyderedge. The ULIZE is definitely an interesting pick. However my #1 pick for a recurve blade would be to see what their older/discontinued model SPYKER would be like in full Spyderedge. But I bet the ULIZE would truly be a beast with a fully serrated edge>> with a recurve somewhat like a Hawkbill you would always have the blade ready to bite into what you're cutting>> great suggestion for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    As always JD, I have to say the Captain's inner arch needed a SpyderEdge. That would have been one mean blade.

I think the Chinook would be an interesting full SE knife as well. I had two Chinook1s, in PE and CE and sold them both off but an SE would pique my interest. Not sure if it'd be able to replace my other full SE's but I'd love to be able to find out!
    I give you a high five on that first one for sure "Invective">> I said that about the Captain model ever since it was released in the mid 2000s. But I think both of the Breeden models should have been offered up in full Spyderedge. As great as that RESCUE model of his was designed I just know that would have been a super-beast in full SE.

Yeah the Chinnook III with the full flat grind would be my pick of that model to see how well it would do in a full Spyderedge. Great suggestions so far guys>> I got a feeling this is going to be a very interesting thread

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Chaparral would be a nice one in SE. How about a Lava?

Anything in S90V would be a nice one.

Joe, you're fired for not mentioning the Para 2 in your OP.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

Very nice thread.

How about a SpyderEdge Balance?
    Stay Sharp!

I don't have an answer for you but a question: what can you do with a SE that you can't do with a PE anyway?
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    The upcoming Tatanka would be super bad-a$$ if given an SE edge. With the new power lock, you could saw pretty much anything in your way in half! Make a heck of a scary movie prop too, as would the Ulize or Spyker.

I managed to find a brand new Ulize for a steal ($115) the other day from a reputable dealer with a coupon I had, should be here in a day or two. Looks like a great alternative to the Police, which I've wanted forever. I blame David.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    That's extremely interesting EVIL because I've also wondered just how much better a recurve would be like in full Spyderedge. The ULIZE is definitely an interesting pick. However my #1 pick for a recurve blade would be to see what their older/discontinued model SPYKER would be like in full Spyderedge. But I bet the ULIZE would truly be a beast with a fully serrated edge>> with a recurve somewhat like a Hawkbill you would always have the blade ready to bite into what you're cutting>> great suggestion for sure!
    With the length of the blade I would even consider a combo edge on this one which is usually a no go for me, but if just the recurve was serrated it would be pretty sweet.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    I think pretty much every model that could benefit from SpyderEdge has, either:

already been mentioned, or:

already been offered in SE by Spyderco...

So I will submit a model that would least benefit fromm SpyderEdge treatment....

Zulu, yup , Zulu...
    Last edited by paladin; Today at 05:22 PM.
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Laethageal View Post
    I don't have an answer for you but a question: what can you do with a SE that you can't do with a PE anyway?
    I use my SE knives a lot when I'm doing yardwork and a lot of cutting in dirt. Usually this entails cutting weeds and other plants off at the roots where there are a ton of rocks and dirt that dulls a PE in about 2 minutes to the point where I will have to start using a sawing motion to get through the stalks. SE on the other hand just keeps cutting through them, both dead or alive that the dulled PE just slides right over. Even when SE is dulled, the teeth still rip through the plants.

Plus if I mess up and ding a rock, it just takes out a scallop or two instead of a whole section of PE.

Spyderco Forum Registered User juggler's Avatar
    I'm not a huge fan of serrations in general. I can see the point, I know they're very effective in some cases and on some types of materials, but for most of my cutting tasks a plain edge just suits me better.

However, I know I could find some use for a serrated wharncliffe in the kitchen and I always liked the design of the Centofante 4. So...

(and while we're dreaming, let's throw a BRG handle in the mix)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by juggler; Today at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling

^^ I'd buy that.

~David

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    ^^ I'd buy that.
    Me too. I'm a sucker for wharnies

the Ayoob in G10 not getting full SE was a swing and a miss

also the Dfly need to be made into a hawkbill in SE H1

also there has to be a US available super steel that is THE SE steel, H1 limits the knife choices

lastly MORE WIRE CLIPS ON MORE MODLS

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    also the Dfly need to be made into a hawkbill in SE
    Hands Down
    Stay Sharp!

I'd buy a hawkbill Dfly in any edge configuration. That would be awesome. H1/SE would be insane.

~David