Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endura vs Pacific Salt

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Endura vs Pacific Salt

This question has probably been beaten to death but a search did not help.
    I want an orange Endura or Pacific Salt (Rit Sunshine Orange). I do not often experience salt water.
    Which would you recommend? And why?
    I have a yellow Salt 1 which I really like already.
    Thanks for your input.
    Mike

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    For me, I'd choose the Endura, I'm not a big fan of the older Volcano grip texture used on the Salts. Bidirectional FRN all the way!!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    The Salt1 and Pacific Salt ARE the old Endura and Delica...the new ones would be a pain to clean because they have nested liners that would trap moisture, blood, and fish guts (If you're Lance haha). You want as simple and maintenance free as possible with a knife of this style, which also lends itself more to the existing one piece FRN of the Salt lineup. I would support a switch to bi-directional texturing on the existing Salt models to match the Dragonfly, but they're all more likely to be used in processing fish and other tasks of that ilk, and the volcano grip texture is definitely easier to keep clean.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

If you want edgeholding, get a SE Salt or a PE Endura. For slicing work I prefer the FFG of the FFG Endura over the hollow grind on the Salts. As noted above, the Salts are easier to clean with linerless FRN and the volcano grip texture.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    If getting it really dirty or wet is a concern, go salt. If not get the Endura.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Salt is also lighter, but has a more resilient grind and tip. So gotta weigh out which of these traits is desirable.

Personally I love the ffg blade with that thin tip, and I have no need of rust resistance. But I also prefer the liner less lightweight construction of the salt.

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderHS08's Avatar
    I'll just go ahead and be the first to say it......BOTH
    39 & counting...
    E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly,

Dodo!

Hey mike, if you are going plain edge then the vg10 endura will have better edge retention than the salt. Outside of that, the salt wins in every category for me. I used to think having steel liners was important but I have come to prefer the linerless design of the salts. They are lighter weight and plenty tough. I also find them to have tighter lockups with smoother action. So in plain edge I can see the argument for the endura but I would still probably go with the salt. In serrated edge it's not even a contest. Salt all the way.

Spyderco Forum Registered User juggler's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with any of these, but I find the Endura a little bit more versatile and comfortable : even though the knives are very similar, I like the handling of the Endura better (different handle shape and less steep thumb ramp). I would also miss the pointed tip of the Endura. YMMV of course, as handling is always subjective.

The Pacific Salt obviously has a better corrosion resistance, but VG-10 is more than good enough in normal use and you already have the Salt 1 if you go around salt water. And you can have an orange Endura without having to dye the knife...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    PE=Endura, SE=Pacific.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Listen to Surfgringo and get a Pacific Salt SE.My advice: get two(just in case...)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Both excellent choices. If you want something different, get an Endura. Even in FFG it's not too thin at all. The saber is nice and tough. I have both, and a Pacific, and recommend any of them. I always carry an Endura in my back pocket - Pacific if it's raining or if I'm in the mood.

I find pictures help me decide. Don't laugh at the blue Crocs - only color they had.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    If you want edgeholding, get a SE Salt or a PE Endura. For slicing work I prefer the FFG of the FFG Endura over the hollow grind on the Salts. As noted above, the Salts are easier to clean with linerless FRN and the volcano grip texture.
    This about sums up what I was gonna type
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    Yep this is probably the most concise and informative answer. They are both great. Identify your priorities and let that make your decision.

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    I regret getting a PE Pacific Salt, now that I'm persuaded a Spyderedge is slower to dull than a PE in H1. I may upgrade at some point, just to say I have H1 in its best form-factor. That said, the PE ain't too shabby.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Thanks guys. Good info. And I am looking at the PE so Endura it is.
    Mike

Endura has the 4-way clip, whereas Salt is tip-up only.

Spyderco Forum Registered User klug932000's Avatar
    Not a h1 fan, vg10 is the way to go. I have a lady bug in h1 and it's sharp for a minute then full the next.
    Can't wait for the next mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Well they are way different as far as maintenance, construction, steel properties. Now it depends on the environment you will use it and how careful you are with it. I prefer the VG10 for its sharpening, rust resistance and durability. The Endura is my favorite knife design, now I got several salt1, dragonfly and pacific salt H1. These are mostly used around water, I got a salt 1 black handle I use for work a lot, during working hours I sweat a lot and I carry my knife with me all the time. Sometimes when I take it out of my pocket is wet with sweat I don't even worry about it, I just rinse it off and dry it no oil or anything. Now I also carry a manbug VG10 and a dragonfly VG10 to work sometimes same sweaty environment I haven't seen any rust spots on them but I do clean them very well and oil them everyday after work so its more cleaning maintenance than the H1. The H1 needs sharpening more often than my endura talking plain edge here. Now serrated its a different story H1 is awesome with spyderedge, so most my salties are serrated. I just think you should get both if you buy one you will actually buy the other one later on, believe me I got over 30 spydies.
    Last edited by opusxpn; 08-19-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Keep 'em sharp 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 3 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 2 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 3 Paramilitary2, Military, Kiwi

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    ....... Don't laugh at the blue Crocs - only color they had.
    Hmmmn, those blue Crocs look awfully close to the same colour as your Endura I would have to say that it appears that you potentially may have purchased the blue Crocs on purpose just so that you could accessorize and colour co-ordinate your footwear with one of your Spyderco's.

But as the great Seinfeld once said....."Not that there is anything wrong with that"
    Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
    Google est amicus!