Thread: Legal Question

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nonprophet's Avatar

Legal Question

Just bought a Citadel and I knwo that as far as State law is concerned I'm good. Concealed Carry permit holder and Law Enforcement but the included paperwork on the Federal law seems to say I'm not ok if I'm not missing an arm or a member of the military. Anyone have any info? I don't want to be illegal or anything.
    ‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."Robert Heinlein

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Tricky for sure. I do know many wrongly believe being in the military grants legal possession and carry of autos but thats not automatically true. For an example when I was in the marines, at one duty station, my company commander had a strict "no switchblade" on base policy.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Here is Illinois, PD,Fire,EMT,and military can have autos.

The more I'm looking I see that the Switchblade Law has been amended some but I haven't checked it all. My CCWP specifically lists switchblade as a weapon it permits so I THINK I'm ok.
    ‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."Robert Heinlein

Spyderco Forum Registered User Half Sack's Avatar
    Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program
    I posted in your "It came" thread
    I can't say for sure, but from what your threads have stated, I think the military is generally exempt, so being military personnel would mean you can (likely) carry things you would normally need a permit/not be able to carry at all.
    Your CCW permit states you can carry a switch blade so holding a valid concealed carry permit should mean your ok, even if your a civilian (as your permit states YOU can carry that item)
    Best place to check would be your LEOs/Sheriff ect, they're the ones who will enforce the law if your violating it.
    My $0.10 is you should be in the clear if your not misbehaving.

Enduraguy, this sounds like a specific command at a specific station, similar to different cities having by-laws that are different than the state/provincial laws.

It should be easier to obtain clear and specific statements to know the law and our rights within them, we're all trying to stay legal and respect the laws, not circumvent them.

I know I'm ok as far as state law goes but when state and Feceral law conflict I just don't know. I haven't seen the Federal law in it's entirety yet. I'd hate to get stopped and find that I'm clear in the state and then get a visit from the FBI or something dumb like that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    I think Federal is always over state.
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull