Thread: Knife Laws in South Carolina?

Spyderco Forum Registered User raven's Avatar

Knife Laws in South Carolina?

Hey All, Just curious if anyone can tell me what the knife laws are in South Carolina. Specifically what blade length is allowed???

I found some information from back in 2005 which stated nothing over 2", but since have been repealed. I just can't seem to find anything present that mentions allowable blade length. Thanks In Advance, Take Very Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

God Bless

-raven-
    ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    The state is wide open except on school grounds, 2" max, and I have read some cities 3" blades are the max.

From http://www.knife-expert.com

updated 7/13/2005

South Carolina - 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.
    Any person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days. Nothing herein contained may be construed to apply to (1) persons carrying concealed weapons upon their own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, or (2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties. The provisions of this section do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

- 16-23-430. Carrying weapons on school property.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person, except State, county or municipal law-enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms or any other type of weapon, device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
    (2) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. Any weapon or object used in violation of this section may be confiscated by the law enforcement division making the arrest.

- 16-23-405. Definition of "weapon"; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.
    (1) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, 'weapon' means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a knife with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
    (2) A person convicted of a crime, in addition to a penalty, shall have a weapon used in the commission or in furtherance of the crime confiscated.

16-23-490. Additional punishment for possession of firearm or knife during commission of, or attempt to commit, violent crime.
    (A) If a person is in possession of a firearm or visibly displays what appears to be a firearm or visibly displays a knife during the commission of a violent crime and is convicted of committing or attempting to commit a violent crime as defined in Section 16-1-60, he must be imprisoned five years, in addition to the punishment provided for the principal crime. This five-year sentence does not apply in cases where the death penalty or a life sentence without parole is imposed for the violent crime.
    (D) As used in this section... "knife" means an instrument or tool consisting of a sharp cutting blade whether or not fastened to a handle which is capable of being used to inflict a cut, slash, or wound.

Not intended to be legal advice, always consult an attorney practicing in your state, as always, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Pinetreebbs; 12-01-2011 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Not intended to be legal advice, always consult an attorney practicing in your state, as always, your mileage may vary.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    i live in myrtle beach and i carry a millie no problem. nothing over 2" on school grounds anywher. you can open carry a sword down the street if you see fit as long as its not concealed. any knife length law is for concealed carry. check with your local PD to get an accurate reading on your area.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    The City of Greenville has a 3" blade length limit. According to US Knife Laws, so do Charleston, Columbia, Hanahan, Irmo, Moncks Corner, and Tega Cay. No length restrictions elsewhere that I'm aware of. On the bright side, from everything I've seen and read, private ownership of automatics is legal here and there does not seem to be any rules against carrying them either.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    The City of Greenville has a 3" blade length limit. According to US Knife Laws, so do Charleston, Columbia, Hanahan, Irmo, Moncks Corner, and Tega Cay. No length restrictions elsewhere that I'm aware of. On the bright side, from everything I've seen and read, private ownership of automatics is legal here and there does not seem to be any rules against carrying them either.
    SC automatics are legel to own but not carry.
    And greenville is where my brother is going to school... furman university . Small world

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrickma24 View Post
    And greenville is where my brother is going to school... furman university . Small world
    Good to know, I'll keep mine at home. Still want to get my paws on a Citadel "just because".

Smaller yet, I'm about a mile from Furman's golf course and about a mile and a half from the Furman campus. I walk my dog on the walking trail around Swan Lake there quite often. It's a very beautiful place.

Warning - really big photo:

Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrickma24 View Post
    I tried to find something more specific about carrying automatics. The law is ambiguous.

Apparently they are illegal in the City of Columbia, SC, from an old BladeForums post.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ade-definition

I also found that some folks say yes and other no based:

South Carolina - 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.
    Any person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days. Nothing herein contained may be construed to apply to (1) persons carrying concealed weapons upon their own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, or (2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties. The provisions of this section do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.
    Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

No: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3210519AAOsTay

Since almost any knife could be, "used for the infliction of personal injury" it is going to be up to an individual LEO. Probably better not to carry an automatic in your pocket as they are, sigh, more 'scary' than some other knives.

IMO, this law can be applied to any knife in your pocket (concealed). If it comes to the attention of a LEO and you are not involved in some sort of criminal activity you should prevail legally, but only after going through the legal system and paying some attorney fees.

Not intended to be legal advice, always consult an attorney practicing in your state, as always, your mileage may vary.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User raven's Avatar
    Thank You All for the information, it helps a lot and takes a lot off of my mind . Can't be without my knives ... I'm sure everyone here can sympathize with that ??? Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless

-raven-
    ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Lord vader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Hey All, Just curious if anyone can tell me what the knife laws are in South Carolina. Specifically what blade length is allowed???

I found some information from back in 2005 which stated nothing over 2", but since have been repealed. I just can't seem to find anything present that mentions allowable blade length. Thanks In Advance, Take Very Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

God Bless

-raven-
    This might help,http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html