Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindness of Your Hearts...

Kindness of Your Hearts...

This forum has some of the most kindhearted people that I have ever "met". So many of you are always willing to help someone in need. It is for that reason that I felt I had to post this.

Recently there was someone who posted about challenges they were facing. They also told of a proud and honorable past and many of you offered your support and respect. Someone was so kind that they gave this individual a very expensive knife to help them.

The reason for my post now is that I am holding absolute proof in my hand that the OP's story was untrue (he has also been removed from our forum).

Even now as I type this I am hesitant to click "submit" because I don't want to see the kind hearts here on this forum stop believing. It is those kind hearts that make this place special.

However part of my "job" here is to look out for each of you and insure that this place stays the unique, family friendly place it has always been. I truly hate the thought that someone took advantage of our members.

So, with all of that in mind, this is a friendly reminder that there are some people who once sheltered behind a screen and keyboard will say whatever they feel they need to just to get something (adoration, respect, honor or material items) for nothing.

Be safe.

Kristi
    There is nothing more important than this one day.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    A huge thumbs up for you looking out for all of us.

Just goes to show the high integrity of this forum and Spyderco.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this Kristi. I don't think our collective heart will harden over a few bad apples out there but the warning should be duly noted.

I remember the conversation with my parents growing up regarding giving money to the downtrodden sign holder on the freeway onramp.. Some are genuinely in need and have suffered horrible loss, others are simply con artists. If you give out of genuine intent it doesn't matter as much the truth because the giver still wins in a big way.

Thanks for all that you do.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    That sucks that it had to happen like that. I hope no one was too hurt.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks for the information Kristi. We can't let the actions of one bad apple change the way that we think, the way that we feel, the way that we care for others and try to help someone that happens to be less fortunate or going through a bad time. For every con artist, there are hundreds that really need help. The world is full of all kinds of people, both good and bad. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    How did i miss this? Who was it?

Honestly, i have lost knives before but i would probably never post about it, because i don't know how i'd react if someone was kind enough to me to give me one of theirs to replace mine. A person who would take advantage of someone's kindness like this is worse than a thief in my book.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    Thanks, Kristi.

I really despise con artists, from Madoff and Keating to small-change grifters like the one this thread concerns.
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

Spyderco Forum Registered User -F1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post
    [T]here are some people who once sheltered behind a screen and keyboard will say whatever they feel they need to just to get something (adoration, respect, honor or material items) for nothing.
    If you think about it, that's no different than real life. The internet just makes it easier.

Generous people won't stop being generous that easily.

I am glad you made this information known. I respect that. I would not have respected withholding that information. Kudos to you.

Spyderco Forum Registered User BladePlay's Avatar
    Back at 'cha Kristi

“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Respect to the kind individual who so generously donated the knife. You don't find much of that anymore, due largely in part to the outcome of this incident.

And Kristi, you're a great den Mother
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Sadly you can't avoid that kind of situations in life. Lesson learned again, but good people remain good people.

I'm just a reader here at the forum a long time, but I feel that this community is a rare one on the internet for everything you mentioned above. There are a lot of quality people around here who worth listening to. Always helpful with a huge knowledge on subjects.

I love being here, I consider myself the silent member of this family, because I have a nice collection but my english isn't the best, and my knowledge nowhere near as large as it should be to form a solid opinion on most subjects.

The most brilliant thing on this site is Mr. Glesser is around as one of us. The man who made all of this happens, the man behind the company, the products, the philosophy that all of us love.
    Thank you Sal, thank you guys!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Thank you Kristi. That a fraud and con chose to excersize here is truly sad

Having been conned more the once off line I am also familiar with the issue Kristy raised about being cautious (and alert) without losing your sincere generosity. It's a struggle I've dealt with off of the forum in the past and over time have reconciled.

If you feel some red flags about a story in your head without knowing why, listen to them and investigate.
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Wow! just wow...

I too, have been gifted generously by Doc Snubnose with a beautiful knife at a time when I was really down. Some of my knives, I have been able to obtain with the help of kind hearted forum members. To take advantage of this generosity of heart is really reprehensible.
    Last edited by chuck_roxas45; 11-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1623 View Post
    Respect to the kind individual who so generously donated the knife. You don't find much of that anymore, due largely in part to the outcome of this incident.

And Kristi, you're a great den Mother
    +1 on all of that.

As for the person who took advantage of that individual's generosity, if it's the person I think it was, what makes it extra sad is that his claims of military service were most likely false.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Wow! just wow...

I too, have been gifted generously by Doc Snubnose with a beautiful knife at a time when I was really down. Some of my knives, I have been able to obtain with the help of kind hearted forum members. To take advantage of this generosity of heart is really reprehensible.
    I've recently been gifted by doc too, amazing guy!

Spyderco Forum Registered User billy blade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    If you give out of genuine intent it doesn't matter as much the truth because the giver still wins in a big way.
    That quote says it all. Thanks Blerv

Thanks Kristi for the info and watching out for us

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrickma24 View Post
    I've recently been gifted by doc too, amazing guy!
    hehe and me. . really is kind hearted...and a comedian
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jay_Ev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    How did i miss this? Who was it?
    I think it's probably best not to bring up & discuss who it is. Doing so would only give the individual more attention and more air time.

Thanks for the information Kristi.
    <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>

This forum is actually one of the most civil, polite and just plain friendly places on the web, because of the quality of the people who work at Spyderco and the people who frequently post here. I firmly believe one unscrupulous person will not change that. +1 for courage and honesty and self-policing.

--Jason

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Still a great place to be and it's not gonna change. Treat others like you want to be treated, regardless.
    Thanks, Kristi.

- best wishes, Jazz.