View Poll Results: Would you buy a Sage XL with a longer blade?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I would love a longer bladed version of the Sage!

    14 51.85%
  • No thanks, I'm fine with a shorter blade.

    13 48.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Sage XL?

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    8,518

    Sage XL?

    I know this is very unlikely, as the purpose of the Sage series is kind of set in stone, but perhaps for a future model, there could be a sort of "Sage 3.5" treatment where the blade is squeezed out to a longer version? For it's size the Sage is about perfect, but I also think the overall design would be very nice with a little more blade length. At least for me, the extra blade length would make a big difference aesthetically. A few years ago I found myself having to choose between the Caly 3 and the Sage 1, and one of the big contributors to my decision was because I liked the slimmer profile of the Caly's blade, and I think if the Sage's blade was just longer, it would give it that same effect. Anyway, everyone loves a poll so vote'erup.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Upstate SC, USA
    Posts
    20,996
    No reason it couldn't happen, although it might not be called the Sage 3.5 or XL. After all, the Chaparral wasn't named the Sage Jr. As for the poll, I'd be very interested if it was a midlock. Might be the first thing to give the Stretch a run for its money. With any other lock, not so much.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    8,518
    Yeah I wouldn't care what they call it, I know "3 or 3.5" wouldn't make any sense since that's a reference to the version that the Calypso was when that knife was made. I figured XL would make sense considering they did that with the Manix 2, but really it doesn't matter as long as the looks and ergonomics are clearly taken from the Sage. Maybe do a play on words or something? Is there a word that describes a higher level for a Sage? Wise man? LOL. I guess there would also be a choice of lock designs considering the different ones used on the Sage series. Maybe this could be the next knife to feature the Power Lock?

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    314
    I would love it. Not sure exactly where it fits in with the Manix and now disco. Superleaf but my three Sage's don't get too much pocket time anymore because I am a 3.5" kind of guy now. It would be like a fatter Caly 3.5 as well. It is interesting how many people want one of the future Sage's to have the compression lock, yet the Superleaf got discontinued. It is basically a big Sage with a Compression lock.

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    I would love it. Not sure exactly where it fits in with the Manix and now disco. Superleaf but my three Sage's don't get too much pocket time anymore because I am a 3.5" kind of guy now. It would be like a fatter Caly 3.5 as well. It is interesting how many people want one of the future Sage's to have the compression lock, yet the Superleaf got discontinued. It is basically a big Sage with a Compression lock.
    People are finicky like that. There are a lot of questions you can ask about where certain knives fit in. The Sage already is a "fatter version of the Caly 3" but clearly that hasn't stopped it from selling.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    3,671
    That would be cool to have a power lock sage XL. don't think i would buy it however, i really like the size of the sage series
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----


    -Spencer

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    531
    I voted "no" only because I like notion of keeping the series basically the same except, of course, for the lock and for the handle (supposedly in keeping with the lock designer's tastes). Moreover, although the leaf-shape blade is my favorite in whatever size, I'd rather it come in steels other than S30V, good as this steel is.
    IN MY POCKET: Air plus one from Manix/Native/Caly/Stretch/Para Military family. RECENTLY ARRIVED: SB Stretch Lightweight. ON MY RADAR: S110V Manix2 Lightweight (pre-ordered); CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5; Pingo. HOLY GRAILS: 440V Starmate (PE); Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 83mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

    Marc <- groupthink doubter since 1984 (first read in 1965...)

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    8,518
    For the record I don't mean let's replace the Sage with a bigger one...just make another larger version of it.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    318
    I voted yes! I do prefer a 3.5"+ blade but find myself carrying the Sage 1 alot mostly because of the smoothness, incredible F+F and the twill CF. I do think the Caly 3.5 blade shape is alot better looking proportionally but don't carry this as much as my Sage due to the other factors above (mostly the awesome CF). If the Sage was stretched out a bit (my ultimate would be with twill CF and a comp. lock) I may have just found my ultimate EDC.

    As far as the superleaf being discontinued, I disagree with this as a comparison to a Sage XL. First of all the blade shape was pretty funky IMO on the Superleaf and the blade stock was thicker than I need for most tasks I consider typical for an EDC blade. This also did not have the same CF handle material or level of refinement in the Sage series. I think a Sage XL would be a sales monster; especially with twill CF and a comp. lock. I don't even care what steel; although if I am still allowing myself to dream I would say CTS-XHP would be great!

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,338
    Probably the hardest poll to vote for I've ever seen. For one thing I think the Sage size and everything about them is perfect. Different locks is also possibly the best option to make different models of the same knife. A great knife and also one for people who prefer one lock over another. Not to mention the credit going to the lock designer. I wonder if people who have designed different locks over the years sit around wondering if Spyderco will honor that lock with a Sage model? Like a rock-n-roll musician wondering if they'll ever be voted into the rock-n-roll hall of fame. Anyway, I think the Sage is perfect as is. Especially since the Sage3 is now NOT blue. I love blue but it just didn't seem to fit on a Sage. Just personal preference. (here is where they need a "shrug" smilie icon) One reason I carry my Sage4 as often if not more often than my GB IS because of the shorter blade. OTOH, I like the fact that the GB has a blade that is a little longer. You know what??? My GB is in a pouch on my belt now. When I get out of this chair I'm going to put the Sage4 in my pocket. Why not carry both? I know, stupid question because there is no reason NOT to carry both (along with my D'fly, Manbug and Chaparral).

    So I may like a Sage with a bit longer blade, maybe not. A question I couldn't answer until I held one. But I bet there are a bunch of folks that WOULD like a bigger one. So I voted "yes" in case I would buy one but mainly just to give others the option.

    Nothing like new models. I just got the printed catalog a few days ago and the "battleship" or "battle ready" or whatever it's called caught my eye immediately. When I read the blade is 3" or just under that made it perfect for my size desires. At first glance I thought it would be bigger like a Manix2. I may have a new model for my wish list.

    Enough rambling. Good pole I think.


    Jack

    Edit: Sage4 now in pocket. No clip on the Sage4. I like this knife down in my pocket more than clipped. See??? No clip. What a great model.

    Last edited by jackknifeh; 02-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,494
    I'd have to see it first. Depending on the details like lock, scale material, weight, and overall design, I might really like it.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

    Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,338
    Quote Originally Posted by wrdwrght View Post
    I voted "no" only because I like notion of keeping the series basically the same except, of course, for the lock and for the handle (supposedly in keeping with the lock designer's tastes). Moreover, although the leaf-shape blade is my favorite in whatever size, I'd rather it come in steels other than S30V, good as this steel is.
    Good point (in red). I wasn't aware that Al Mar designed the back lock until the Sage4. Spyderco knives are also educational. The bolster going back to the center of the lock button is part of Al's design I think. I really like this because the longer bolster seems to require a screw in addition to the pivot screw. By design this should give the pivot and handle extra strength against bending sideways. This is good for me because I'm always prying big logs and stuff with my Sage4.
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    314
    Al Mar didn't invent the lock on the 4. He popularized it and the style of wood and bolsters is more of the tribute to him.

    Love the Ctek btw! You didn't have those pics initially, glad I came back.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
    Posts
    380
    If it is the blade shape your after then it would be too similar to the manix probably. A scaled up sage3 would be very similar to a manix and they both have locks that I really enjoy.

    I don't prefer backlocks so if it is a scaled up sage1 I would have to pass.

    Really depends on scale material and lock design. Which Sage are we talking about? Or a future Sage?

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    If it is the blade shape your after then it would be too similar to the manix probably. A scaled up sage3 would be very similar to a manix and they both have locks that I really enjoy.

    I don't prefer backlocks so if it is a scaled up sage1 I would have to pass.

    Really depends on scale material and lock design. Which Sage are we talking about? Or a future Sage?
    good point about the Manix. if it was my choice, a scaled up version of the sage2 would be my pick. but still probably wouldn't buy it
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----


    -Spencer

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisiana USA
    Posts
    2,723
    The Sage is a special item for me, so any change would be subject to a lot of scrutiny. I voted no because I don't need a larger knife.
    However, if it were the SAME width, while longer I would most likely buy it.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

    SCARAMOUCHE!

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,338
    Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    Al Mar didn't invent the lock on the 4. He popularized it and the style of wood and bolsters is more of the tribute to him.

    Love the Ctek btw! You didn't have those pics initially, glad I came back.
    Thanks for clarifying my error about the backlock designer. I stand corrected.

    C-tek is a really cool material however it has limitations WHILE WORKING IT. But the limitations are overcomable. (is that a word? ) After it is finished it's great. I'll be messing with it more. I LOVE the finished possibilities. I thought a pic of the Sage4 would be nice in a Sage4 thread even if it isn't the original. I have loved making scales for this knife because it's one of my favorite models so anything I do to it will be used.
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,140
    Showing off a lock that was designed for longer blades would be a good candidate for this idea.

    I like the idea.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Showing off a lock that was designed for longer blades would be a good candidate for this idea.
    If there is such a lock, I'd change my vote to a "Yes".
    IN MY POCKET: Air plus one from Manix/Native/Caly/Stretch/Para Military family. RECENTLY ARRIVED: SB Stretch Lightweight. ON MY RADAR: S110V Manix2 Lightweight (pre-ordered); CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5; Pingo. HOLY GRAILS: 440V Starmate (PE); Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 83mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

    Marc <- groupthink doubter since 1984 (first read in 1965...)

  20. #20
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The 9th Island
    Posts
    455
    I say yes. As much as I love the Sage in a 3" blade, I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly bigger version. I think it would be really interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •