Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sage 1 - Is this normal?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

New Sage 1 - Is this normal?

I just got a Spyderco Sage 1. The lockup seems "very early" - or "late" I don't know which is which to be honest, but this doesn't seem right. It seems that the lock should be further over, no? Should this be sent back?

Thanks.

That would be considered an early lock up, a desired trait by many, as it allows for the most wear/life of the lock. I personally prefer the lock to sit more central on the tang but there is nothing wrong with it, enjoy.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    That's a nice early lockup. The lock bar is fully engaged on the tang and as long as there is no blade play then I would not be worried about it. Some folks even prefer an earlier lockup.

The lockup on my Cruwear Military is real early but it is rock solid and the blade doesn't budge so I'm happy with it.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't an "early" lockup like that, fail faster than others bc of repeated closings, causing that tab to creep closer and closer to the "edge"?

No, if anything, the lock will move towards the opposite scale under spring tension, as the face wears. As long as the bar makes good contact, and does not slip, you're good to go.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    My Sage 1 lockup looks just about the same, and it's been rock solid for almost 4 years now.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Looks great to me. Sufficient engagement and oddles of room for wear.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    That is what I consider to be optimal for a new knife and what I would prefer for every one of my liner lock knives. The lock fully engages onto the tang of the knife and has the absolute maximum amount of room for wear.

edit: on a second glance, it may be just slightly early, with just a sliver of the lock not engaging the tang. Flicking it open for a while may make it seat better in there and get it to be just perfect.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

That would be ideal as long as the lock up is solid.

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Glad you started this thread. My Sage-1 will be delivered within a couple hours and I'll be checking this out on mine.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Thanks guys. Can someone explain to me though why, opening and closing it a hundred times, by obviously using your thumb to slide the lock over to the left to close it...would that not make the lock tab push further and further to the left over time?

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    Thanks guys. Can someone explain to me though why, opening and closing it a hundred times, by obviously using your thumb to slide the lock over to the left to close it...would that not make the lock tab push further and further to the left over time?
    No, the opposite would occur as material is eroded at the interface between the lock bar and tang. With less material there, the lock will travel further to the right under the pressure of the liner lock, giving you later lock up as time goes on... Excellent choice of knife BTW!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    While the lock may lose some small amount of it's springiness over time, the lock face wears faster so as the lock face gets worn down, the further to the right it will travel. Most of the strength of the lock comes, not from how strong it is laterally (side to side), but along the axis of the blade.
    -Kyle

The lock tab is a spring. It wants to move all the way over to the right but it can't. Over time as it wears it moves further to the right.

Thanks guys. One last question. What is the purpose of this semi circle indention (circled in red) it seems to have no purpose. I would expect such an indention for the back of the tang? to sit in when fully open, but instead it sits where the arrow is, a slight wear mark there already. Normal?

The circled indentation is just a space to make the transition from the lock face to the back of the tang. The back of the tang is flat and the lock surface is ground precisely, so it makes sense to separate the two since they have different geometries. As for the arrow, mine also has that small indent. It's where the back of the tang rests against the stop pin, which stops the blade from rotating further open. The blade gets wedged against the pin and the lock face when open. By having two surfaces of contact, you reduce up and down blade play.
    -Kyle

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Probably a indexing mark of some kind, used either in finishing the blade, or during assembly of the knife. No purpose for the end user. The other mark is where the blade tang contacts the stop pin when the knife is open. It might even come off if you rub it with a q-tip.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    The circled indentation is just a space to make the transition from the lock face to the back of the tang. The back of the tang is flat and the lock surface is ground precisely, so it makes sense to separate the two since they have different geometries. As for the arrow, mine also has that small indent. It's where the back of the tang rests against the stop pin, which stops the blade from rotating further open. The blade gets wedged against the pin and the lock face when open. By having two surfaces of contact, you reduce up and down blade play.
    I see, thanks. There is no indent where the arrow is on mine, just a surface wear mark from it hitting the stop pin I suppose.

Thanks - You guys are great. I have this problem...every time I get something nice the OCD kicks in and I pry and pull until I find something wrong with whatever I bought. It's a vicious circle. Thanks for easing my worries - until I think of something else

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Taichung knives might be bad for you. You usually have to look very very hard to find something wrong with them. . Enjoy it!
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat