Thread: byrd Tern Now Available

byrd Tern Now Available

The byrd Tern BY23G is now shipping from Spyderco HQ. For info and specs, check out Tern info page at spyderco.com.

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    wow, ergos look great, beautiful shape, nice lines when closed,If i get my first byrd, it will be a tern
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Shirogorov Hati - Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego- Curtiss F3 3.5"
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 (thanks USPS for losing it )

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I am brand new here. Been a member of CPF for awhile and saw your forum recommended by one of the other members. Nice!
    Back on topic. This Tern looks very nice! Probably the nicest looking Byrd I've seen so far. But, I have never tried a Byrd and have never had a slip joint knife for edc.
    Anyone have any pros or cons for me?
    I'm also looking at the Persistence. Would you recommend one over the other?
    I appreciat any info you have for me!
    Thanks, Deal4

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemonomicon's Avatar
    Got my Tern about a week ago. At first I really liked the knife. Ergos are great, I have large hands and the knife fits nicely. Wire clip, BLACK handle, blade centered in the handle (something that's been a little hit and miss with the Byrds I've purchased.) However I find the lock up on the weak side. Pinching the handle between my thumb and middle finger with the blade open, I can easily push the blade closed with my index finger. Sadly, I think this knife is bound for desk duty as a letter opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonomicon View Post
    Got my Tern about a week ago. At first I really liked the knife. Ergos are great, I have large hands and the knife fits nicely. Wire clip, BLACK handle, blade centered in the handle (something that's been a little hit and miss with the Byrds I've purchased.) However I find the lock up on the weak side. Pinching the handle between my thumb and middle finger with the blade open, I can easily push the blade closed with my index finger. Sadly, I think this knife is bound for desk duty as a letter opener.
    Check the product page and you'll find that this blade is not intended to
    lock. That you're finding the lock up weak isn't surprising.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=679

Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    wow, ergos look great, beautiful shape, nice lines when closed,If i get my first byrd, it will be a tern
    Same thoughts exactly.