Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List Of Factory Edge Angles

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar

List Of Factory Edge Angles

Good Morning cutters. Is there a list of factory edge angles available? im wondering what my FFG Manix 2 sprint is so i can respect the angles when sharpening.
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User rycen's Avatar
    Spyderco aims for 30 degrees inclusive to make touching up easy at 40 on the sharpmaker. All are sharpened by hand so it may not be perfect every time. What method are you going to use for sharpening?
    We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    There is no list. The Spyderco sharpmaker is made to sharpen at 30 degrees and 40 degrees inclusive. Every Spyderco knife I've gotten is between these angles. The opposite sides may be slightly different also. They are sharpened by hand on a grinding wheel I think. The only accurate input I have about that is a video out there of a Native being made. So, there is nothing really special about maintaining the "factory edge angle". That angle is perfectly fine for almost all every day cutting. So, if you want to maintain what comes on the knife, use a marker to mark the edge and however you sharpen try to erase the marker when strokes are made with the stone. Rycen asked how you will be sharpening your knives and a more detailed suggestion would depend on your answer. Hope this helps. If you need any more info please ask. Lots of very knowledgable people here anxious to help.

Jack
    My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Agree with all of what Jack said. All of mine except one have been pretty darn sharp out of the box, but that sharpness varies also depending on the individual knife. Most of my blades have been reprofiled to a little under 30 deg so I can get a 30 deg microbevel with the SM then choose to make it a 40 if I want to.

Enjoy your sharpening
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    Is there a remedial class or thread for the total newbs here? And I stress the word newb. I am still trying to figure out what is meant by inclusive. I get that my brand new sharpmaker has a 40 or a 30 degree option. But what does it mean to be inclusive? And I am thinking that the term microbevel means the bevel at the very point of the blade. Did I get that right? I have other brand knives that I want to sharpen on my sharpmaker, my thought was just pick a side and reprofile. Will that not work?

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    Ok here is your list: -30 degree inclusive

thats it as far as I know...

Jtoler, Im pretty sure inclusive just means the 30 degrees is a measurement of both sides of the edge. To get 30 degree inclusive, each side is sharpened at 15 degrees. For 40, each side is 20, and so one.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Why has spyderco not released a new base for the sharp maker that maybe adds a few angles like 20 inclusive and Maybe 25 or 26 inclusive. That way I could continue using my rods diamond through ultra fine that I'm familiar with?
    Too many Spydies to list!

Quote Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    Why has spyderco not released a new base for the sharp maker that maybe adds a few angles like 20 inclusive and Maybe 25 or 26 inclusive. That way I could continue using my rods diamond through ultra fine that I'm familiar with?
    Because it's not needed. The best part of the sharpmaker, is the simplicity of it.

inclusive edge angles

Just thought I'd throw this in
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charlie

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I would be much more inclined to buy a SM if it had more than two sharpening angle options.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

It does, put a stone you aren't using under the base and you have 22 as well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I looked all through this thread to find out why it has the tag "penelope cruz" and found nothing.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoler_9 View Post
    Is there a remedial class or thread for the total newbs here? And I stress the word newb. I am still trying to figure out what is meant by inclusive. I get that my brand new sharpmaker has a 40 or a 30 degree option. But what does it mean to be inclusive? And I am thinking that the term microbevel means the bevel at the very point of the blade. Did I get that right? I have other brand knives that I want to sharpen on my sharpmaker, my thought was just pick a side and reprofile. Will that not work?
    DCDesigns is right. The Sharpmaker's angle numbers are inclusive. It's a matter of choice as to how to reference the final result. Another sharpener you set the angle for a 40 degree inclusive angle to 20 degrees and that's how that sharpener's directions are worded. It's just something you get to understand when learning about sharpening angles. One of the first things actually just so two people who use two different sharpeners will understand what the other is talking about. Keep this in mind. The average EDC knife is going to have an edge of between 30 and 40 degrees inclusive. That means 15 and 20 degrees per side. If I say 40 you will KNOW I mean inclusive because if my reference to 40 means per side the inclusive angle would be 80 degrees which is rediculous. But, if I say 20 that could mean 10 degrees per side. Some people have sharpened their edges at angles that low. Hope that is clear.

Remedial class for newbies on this forum may be hard to find. Some of those guys may take 9 or 10 lines just to explain inclusive angles. I started learning about that stuff a few years ago. I read quite a bit on the inet but learned 90% of what I know now from threads and posts from people on this forum. They are very knowledgable and willing or even eager to share the knowledge wealth. Dbcad threw in a picture and they always help. How much you want to learn is the main thing. Some people just want a sharp knife that will cut. Others including me find it interesting to understand sharpening in more detail and enjoy the challenge of getting a knife sharp enough to cut toilet paper. If at this point you don't understand the reason for the toilet paper example I'll let you learn that later.

Jack
    My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

+1 to Jack. Even if you do not have an incredible amount of sharpening talent like me, thought, effort and some learning will let you get there
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by rycen View Post
    Spyderco aims for 30 degrees inclusive to make touching up easy at 40 on the sharpmaker. All are sharpened by hand so it may not be perfect every time. What method are you going to use for sharpening?
    Right now im using a gatco system and a leather strop mounted on wood from lee valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I looked all through this thread to find out why it has the tag "penelope cruz" and found nothing.
    AFAIK, she is the only actress to sharpen her nails at 40 inclusive, as hollywood is very competitive and she needed an advantage growing up.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    The best advice I can give is to start experimenting at different angles. I prefer a knife that cuts exceptionally well that I can maintain with ease in the field. I am on site now and did this edge with a 600grit diamond stone, UF stone of Lansky and a leather strop.

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddarnut View Post
    AFAIK, she is the only actress to sharpen her nails at 40 inclusive, as hollywood is very competitive and she needed an advantage growing up.

HAHAHHAHA. I love it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User PocketZen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    The best advice I can give is to start experimenting at different angles. I prefer a knife that cuts exceptionally well that I can maintain with ease in the field. I am on site now and did this edge with a 600grit diamond stone, UF stone of Lansky and a leather strop.

That M4 millie looks great! I have been waiting on reprofiling mine for some time now but hadn't decided on an angle. What did you set yours to? From the patina it looks like you have used it nicely. What have you cut with it at that angle?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketZen View Post
    That M4 millie looks great! I have been waiting on reprofiling mine for some time now but hadn't decided on an angle. What did you set yours to? From the patina it looks like you have used it nicely. What have you cut with it at that angle?
    +1
    Thats a hot millie.