Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRich View Post
    That was a good time to be a music fan. I spent many a night at the Filmore East and Madison Sq. Garden (or at least what I remember of them) listening to those groups.

Never made it to Woodstock as I was stuck in traffic on the NY Thruway for at least 6 hours and gave up. Not sure if that was good or bad.

My oldest daughter (35) picked up on my tastes but leans a little more toward heavy metal.
    My concerts were at the Capital Center in MA or Richmond VA. The security was pretty intense back then. They searched you as you went in and if you didn't have at least a pint of whiskey they wouldn't let you in. That was the minimum. The rock-n-roll standards were pretty high back then. My son did the same in music taste and learned to play guitar. He got pretty good and if he kept the distortion down I thought the metal sounded better because the music was clearer. It was funny because even though the difference in music style wasn't as different as the style I liked compared to my father's taste I still found myself saying some of the same things to my son that my father said to me.

Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRich View Post
    That was a good time to be a music fan. I spent many a night at the Filmore East and Madison Sq. Garden (or at least what I remember of them) listening to those groups.

Never made it to Woodstock as I was stuck in traffic on the NY Thruway for at least 6 hours and gave up. Not sure if that was good or bad.

My oldest daughter (35) picked up on my tastes but leans a little more toward heavy metal.
    The New York state thruway's closed man.... I was 11 in 69 so couldn't make that one, but did get to Woodstock 94. It was surreal when Joe Cocker came out and you heard the opening bars to "With a littel help from my friends" and then Joe hit the chords sounding just like he did in 69. Something that I"ll never forget. Lucky that it's something that I remember. Jack Daniels stock spiked up considerably that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BAL View Post
    The New York state thruway's closed man.... I was 11 in 69 so couldn't make that one, but did get to Woodstock 94. It was surreal when Joe Cocker came out and you heard the opening bars to "With a littel help from my friends" and then Joe hit the chords sounding just like he did in 69. Something that I"ll never forget. Lucky that it's something that I remember. Jack Daniels stock spiked up considerably that weekend.
    Yeah, I never even got close in 69. I was 22 and my then girlfriend used to live in the Adirondacks so we were pretty used to zipping up and down the thruway but not that day. We were heading downstate and the traffic was backed up pretty much to Albany. Turned around and spent the day in Lake George.

Somehow I don't think anything like Woodstock could be pulled off these days without there being some major violence.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    My concerts were at the Capital Center in MA or Richmond VA. The security was pretty intense back then. They searched you as you went in and if you didn't have at least a pint of whiskey they wouldn't let you in. That was the minimum. The rock-n-roll standards were pretty high back then. My son did the same in music taste and learned to play guitar. He got pretty good and if he kept the distortion down I thought the metal sounded better because the music was clearer. It was funny because even though the difference in music style wasn't as different as the style I liked compared to my father's taste I still found myself saying some of the same things to my son that my father said to me.

Jack
    Funny how different parts of the country handled things. No way we could have brought in alcohol at The Garden and the Filmore was about as bad. Yet, security tended to look the other way if people lit up.

I have my preferences musically and can enjoy most any style with one exception......rap. I didn't like disco a bit but enjoyed Saturday Night Fever (filmed mostly in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn) and at least you could dance to it, but I just don't get the entire rap thing.

Last night I saw Judas Priest and Black Label Society live in concert.

What a show! They both rocked but Judas Priest was absolutely amazing.

Unbefrigginlievable!!
    Rick T.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Been spinning Primus quite a bit these days.

I almost forgot how completely insane, yet immensely talented that band is, in any iteration
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User redyps04's Avatar
    THE COLD WAR KIDS - an amazing band who just so happens to be Christian.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redyps04 View Post
    THE COLD WAR KIDS - an amazing band who just so happens to be Christian.
    Love their song Hang Me Up To Dry.

I've been recently playing Florence + the Machine's new album, Ceremonials. Can't believe I hadn't ever listened to them before this album.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Animals As Leaders - Weightless

Saw them live in the 12th, haven't stopped listening to this album since.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLZVs6D5os

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Animals As Leaders - Weightless

Saw them live in the 12th, haven't stopped listening to this album since.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLZVs6D5os
    I just listened to "Odessa" on You Tube; pretty cool s#*t.

If Satriani joined Dillinger Escape Plan, I think it might sound a bit like that
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Not a raging fan of these dudes, but this tune is killer and the vid is quite entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA

E.E. Cummings

Have a grimy, slinky Christmas courtesy of the great Ray Charles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPvi9Oe29A

E.E. Cummings

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    The cure is blasting for me now.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dcmartin2001's Avatar
    Winding the day down here in So Cali with a little Theivery Corporation...

Quote Originally Posted by dcmartin2001 View Post
    Winding the day down here in So Cali with a little Theivery Corporation...
    Haven't listened to them in ages!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Tonight i'm sharpening my Para 2 and listening to Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect. Superrrrb album.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Chevelle - Face to the floor, while pre-ordering an m390 para2.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User AKWolf's Avatar
    Deep Purple ,Tommy Bolin and James Gang ...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Been on a folk music kick for the past week or two. Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Buffy Ste. Marie, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, as well as a bit of Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie. Currently listening to Joan Baez singing Sagt Mir Wo Die Blumen Sind.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!