Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to?

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiKa View Post
    +1 for CCR. I'm 32, but grew up listening to these guys in my dad's car. Now MY kid is listening to them in MY car.
    That's outstanding right there.

My kids love listening to all the 70s and 80s records from my parents collection. So much so that for Christmas last year, my son who is almost eight, asked for a Who CD so he could listen to Pinball Wizard in his room whenever he wanted.

I almost cried
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

One of my favorite bands in an old but killer performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQd4quu6Rs
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Six Organs Of Admittance - [Maria Kapel CD1 #06] Tilburg

Bury The Hatchet - The Cranberries

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    My mother was JANIS JOPLIN, my dad was Frank Zappa Yeah it's the Woodstock era for this ol boy Try listening to Jimi Hendrix play his version of "Wild Thing" at the Monterey Pop Festival on YOUTUBE where he burns his guitar as a finale

I go back to the days of Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Ten Years After, Mott The Hoople, & T Rex.

I do like some of the newer stuff like Kidd Rock, Nickelback, REM, Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails. But being raised on the Beatles & the Stones puts you in a genre you're not willing to leave very easily. Enough Said>>> Now go put on that old BLIND FAITH album
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Lately, it's been mostly Pink Floyd at home and CCR in the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Ho Deacon, Pink Floyd for me too. Really like them.

In addition to Steely Dan, The Cure, Jethro Tull, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, and oh, Adele(sheepish grin here).
    Yes. I mean I agree, ok YES also.

I'll throw in Crosby, Still, Nash (and the other one) Neil young. Seals & Crofts. Fogelberg, Even some Simon & Garfunkle. I'll throw John Denver in when I'm in the mood. Oh yeah, Skynyrd (original) I saw them at the Capitol Center (One More From The Road tour). Charlie Daniels, etc. etc. etc.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Must be the Bronx in me !!!!

Queen, Motley, Tool, Train...... I guess I am a minority because as I type Jay-Z is playing .....99 Problems and .50 Cent is coming up next. All that and I was born in '61

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I listen mostly to guitar-oriented music - most commonly classic rock and metal. I came up on classic rock and was in high school when the grunge wave hit.. I cover songs by alice in chains, nine inch nails, tool, system of a down, pearl jam, soundgarden, stone temple pillots, nirvana, leonard cohen, tom petty, the beatles, pink floyd, led zeppelin, the who, the rolling stones, etc.

The music I write has those influences plus others. Have been adding a heap of bluegrass, celtic and death metal playing and writing elements to my acoustic songwriting and will do the same on electric probably. Recently have added a dark bluesy element to my playing which should pay off in the form of some interesting songcraft in time. My time in Memphis was not a complete waste..
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

I mostly listen to blues and '60s rock. Buddy Guy, Leadbelly, Hooker, SRV, Elmore James are among my favs.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1623 View Post
    One of my favorite bands in an old but killer performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQd4quu6Rs
    Ya man! Love that song - love their sound.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    Listening to a CD my wife obtained (must have been a PBS special) with an 20's style blues/Dixeiland band led by Winton Marsalis and featuring Eric Clapton and Taj Mahal.

fine stuff
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

I've been revisiting a few of my old favorites lately.

Living Colour
    Veruca Salt
    Pearl Jam
    Candlebox
    Fishbone

Listening to quite a bit of classical while driving home from work as well.

E.E. Cummings

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Spotify has ruined my life. I'm spending way too much time listening to new stuff. Some recent music that I've been stuck on (some new to me, as well as some old):

Feist - Metals
    Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
    Low - C'Mon
    Sigur Rós - Takk...
    The Beatles - Love
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mojo51's Avatar
    Best mix cd I have in my street glide's radio. Clutch, corrosion of conformity, black label society and fugazi
    Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo51 View Post
    Best mix cd I have in my street glide's radio. Clutch, corrosion of conformity, black label society and fugazi
    Nice!

E.E. Cummings

Well, at this very moment I'm listening to Muse's Can't Take My Eyes Off You.
    Btw, do you know anything about vob player?
    http://vobplayer.org/

vob player

And now it's Muse's Sober. Love them so much!

Must be my age, but I don't even recognize the names of some of the groups you guys listen to.

If I'm not listening to acoustic jazz (Brubeck, MJQ, Jamal, Mulligan, Monk, Desmond, Evans) then it's essentially the groups I grew up with. The Who, Zep, Stones, Hendrix, Cream with a little reggae thrown in from time to time.

From time to time I can get in the mood for Mozart, but not much else classical.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRich View Post
    Must be my age, but I don't even recognize the names of some of the groups you guys listen to.

If I'm not listening to acoustic jazz (Brubeck, MJQ, Jamal, Mulligan, Monk, Desmond, Evans) then it's essentially the groups I grew up with. The Who, Zep, Stones, Hendrix, Cream with a little reggae thrown in from time to time.

From time to time I can get in the mood for Mozart, but not much else classical.
    You are definately showing my, I mean YOUR age. You left out a few but Spyderco's server doesn't have enough memory to hold a list of all the great bands from that era.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    You are definately showing my, I mean YOUR age. You left out a few but Spyderco's server doesn't have enough memory to hold a list of all the great bands from that era.

Jack
    That was a good time to be a music fan. I spent many a night at the Filmore East and Madison Sq. Garden (or at least what I remember of them) listening to those groups.

Never made it to Woodstock as I was stuck in traffic on the NY Thruway for at least 6 hours and gave up. Not sure if that was good or bad.

My oldest daughter (35) picked up on my tastes but leans a little more toward heavy metal.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JB3's Avatar
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-nerd-skin-herd
    SRV's first two albums
    Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    First three ZZ-Top albums (back when they were Hot, Blue, and Righteous!)
    Edgar Winter - White Trash
    Feetwood Mac - Live in Chicago 1969 ... back when they were a blues band
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung