Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Arms M70AB2 underfolder AK47

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Century Arms M70AB2 underfolder AK47

Picking up an AK next week. I know to look at the rivets, canted sights, check the stock, look for pitting in the bore. Any other tips any AK owners know? Ive never bought from Century. Heard good and bad reviews online with the fit n finish. If you have owned a century were you satisfied?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    I have a question about the AK. Would it be useful for someone in hunting big game, as long as it was not on automatic, ofcourse, but, semi-automatic, where you could control how many rounds hit the target animal? Big game as in: Tigers, Lions, Bears of all kinds, Leopards, Hippos, etc. Like could an AK take down a grizzly bear or polar bear while also leaving the overall animal structure intact?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    I have a question about the AK. Would it be useful for someone in hunting big game, as long as it was not on automatic, ofcourse, but, semi-automatic, where you could control how many rounds hit the target animal? Big game as in: Tigers, Lions, Bears of all kinds, Leopards, Hippos, etc. Like could an AK take down a grizzly bear or polar bear while also leaving the overall animal structure intact?
    It fires a relatively lightweight bullet at relatively low velocity, and is intended for use against an animal that has the weakest "life force" of any its size. Not to mention that, in military use, wounding is often more desirable than killing, as it ties up additional enemy personnel. Based on the ballistics it produces, I'd consider it acceptable for whitetail and mule deer up to 100~150 yards, but marginal, at best for anything larger or thicker skinned and downright suicidal for anything dangerous.

FWIW, most AK's sold in this country are semi-auto only.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    For a hunting looking for that ideal humane '1 shot/instant drop' kill- which means a combination of a gun/sight/round that is reliably accurate enough to hit vital areas at decent range along with a round suitible for the target.

7.62x39mm standard jacketed 123gr round is not one I'd pick for hunting.... Combined with the AK's normal sights and ergonomics, it's not a great solution to the problem.

There's oh-so-many better solutions.
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

My pop had a savage that shot a 7mm remington magnum round. Great cartridge for north american game. For something like grizzly or big cats I dont know. Probably .338 Lapua or something in that neighborhood. AKs are fun to recreational shoot with. Cheap ammo $200 for 1000 of corrosive ammo. In a pinch home defense. More knockdown power than an AR15, but ARs are much more accurate over 200 yards.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ignaz's Avatar
    No offense but those gun threads are ridiculous. Why do you want to buy an assault rifle?

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignaz View Post
    No offense but those gun threads are ridiculous. Why do you want to buy an assault rifle?
    Why would anyone buy a car that can exceed the speedlimit?- Because you can.

I'm a fully fledged sedentary benchrest target bore, intrested in nothing but laser accuracy and microscopic groups....and I'd still like to have my own full-bore AR for ****s and giggles on the range.
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Its my 2nd amendment right as an American. Regardless if it is an assault rifle I am safe with all firearms. This is the off topic section.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiseTheBurr View Post
    Its my 2nd amendment right as an American. Regardless if it is an assault rifle I am safe with all firearms. This is the off topic section.
    Is this your answer to my question? You buy something that is meant to kill people just because it is legal? This doesn't make sense to me. I mean I can understand if you buy a gun for hunting or shooting sport for instance but owning an AK47 is just crazy and useless except you wanted to start a killing spree. By the way I know that this is the off topic section

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Check for mag wiggle. It isn't going to have any effect on the function of the weapon, but it is annoying. It can be corrected though, if you find one with some. It will just take some machining. Just need to get a piece of steel and put it in there. There are youtube vids on it.
    Last edited by Officer Gigglez; 06-28-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

It isn't an assault rifle. And if you don't like it, don't buy one.
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE

Picking up an AK next week. I know to look at the rivets, canted sights, check the stock, look for pitting in the bore. Any other tips any AK owners know? Ive never bought from Century. Heard good and bad reviews online with the fit n finish. If you have owned a century were you satisfied?
    I was actually hunting for one not too long ago, but ended up with a Ruger Mini 14 instead. I am very happy with it, but I had to let it go for my CX4. I just couldn't pass up the deal the guy had for the CX4.
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    I wouldn't count on a Century AK for hunting, due to the need for that precision accuracy, but I think that a high end AK with a good optic could fill that role just fine. If I find myself hunting, I'd role with a bolt gun with a good cartridge and good optic. I don't think there is a need for a semi auto when hunting game. But YMMV. There is a need for them when you're hunting or defending against bad guys though.
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Gigglez View Post
    It isn't an assault rifle. And if you don't like it, don't buy one.
    I am pretty sure that AK47 is an assault rifle. And there is no reason for you to be kind of "rude". I just wanted to understand why this kind of guns are so interesting for many americans.

I am pretty sure that AK47 is an assault rifle. And there is no reason for you to be kind of "rude". I just wanted to understand why this kind of guns are so interesting for many americans.
    Fair enough. My apologies for being rude. And an Assault rifle is select fire. Meaning that is can be full auto, burst, and/or semi. The rifle this guy is looking at is a civilian version of the rifle, in that it is only semi auto. Just like every modern sporting rifle you'll come across. Only difference is the design. The core function is the same. And I wouldn't say it is just an American thing, it is a world thing. People everywhere like guns, and there is nothing wrong with it.
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE

Sal said keep the forums non political.

And we shall. No more talk of politics from me.
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Gigglez View Post
    Fair enough. My apologies for being rude. And an Assault rifle is select fire. Meaning that is can be full auto, burst, and/or semi. The rifle this guy is looking at is a civilian version of the rifle, in that it is only semi auto. Just like every modern sporting rifle you'll come across. Only difference is the design. The core function is the same. And I wouldn't say it is just an American thing, it is a world thing. People everywhere like guns, and there is nothing wrong with it.
    Ok thank you for the information. I have to agree with you that it is not just an american thing. Unfortunately in parts of Africa for example AK47 is also pretty popular... . Guns can be fun but not always. In Austria were I come from are also some gun people but much less than in the US because luckily the law regarding guns is much stricter. I am also interested in guns but rather in "old school" ones like double barreled shotguns. And only for sport or hunting purposes. I am actually not totally against guns but I am against idiots with guns(I don't mean you people) and I think there are just too many people who should not own guns. I was just shocked that some guy talks about an AK like it was something normal.

Yes I know. Did I miss something?

Can't get into too much as to why im buying one for political reasons. Does Nancy Grace have a television show in Vienna?