Thread: CA legal automatic Ladybug

Spyderco Forum Registered User RJNC's Avatar

CA legal automatic Ladybug

Does Spyderco have any plans to make a California Legal automatic Ladybug. The Ladybug's less than two inch blade would make it perfect.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Don't see much chance of that happening. The Ladybug is made in Japan and automatics, regardless of blade length, cannot be legally imported. If Spyderco chose to make it in Golden, they'd still have to comply with all the rules to which their other automatics, including the Bi-Fold with its 1.25" blade, are subject.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User EricTheRed's Avatar
    So what per say are the actual rules on autos? Is it a federal law that prohibits to all except LE and military personnel them in all 50 states? Can they be owned (but not carried) by civilians anywhere in the U.S.?

I thought that there was an outright ban, but a couple of weeks/months ago I think I remember someone saying that they were legal in there east coast state, whichever state that may have been.

Spyderco Forum Registered User rycen's Avatar
    It varies state to state.
    We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    For CA, I think it's illegal unless under 2", and switchblades cannot be transported across state lines unless to a LEO or the military. So the only way would be to have a factory in CA that makes switchblades.. which I never understood. I mean, why no transporting across state lines?
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    why would you want such a thing?

I'm not a lawyer, but the way I understand it, Federal law prohibits importation to the US and limits transportation within the US. Automatics which have been transported across state lines can only be sold to military and law enforcement personnel. Automatics sold within the state where they were manufactured can be sold to any resident of that state who can legally own one. State laws in many states place the same restrictions on ownership as the Federal law, military and LEOs only but a smaller number of states allow private ownership. However, if no autos are manufactured in that state, it's still a technical violation of Federal law to ship or sell one there. So, in the strictest legal sense, a Florida resident can own a Microtech, because FL law allows private citizens to own an auto and Microtech is located in FL, but they cannot legally purchase a Spyderco, Benchmade, or ProTech while Oregon residents can legally purchase a Benchmade for the same reasons. California residents can legally own a sub-2" ProTech, but none of the others and ProTech's larger knives cannot be sold to private citizens there. Colorado, allows the manufacture, but not the sale to private citizens. In reality, the federal restrictions are ignored by most manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and residents of states where autos are legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Minibear453 View Post
    I mean, why no transporting across state lines?
    Because the Constitution gives the Federal government the right to regulate foreign and interstate commerce, but not intrastate commerce.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDesigns View Post
    why would you want such a thing?
    I would be all over something like this if i could legally buy one. The reason i'd want one is because a knife as small as a Ladybug can be a bit cumbersome to open one handed. One of my favorite small knives i've had was a Kershaw Chive, which is a little bigger than a Ladybug, but being so small and being assisted opening really made it easy to use. I'm not normally into autos or assisted openers but for a Ladybug sized knife i like the idea.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User EricTheRed's Avatar
    Thank you Deacon,

That clarifies it as well as I would expect from any lawyer.

Though in Minnesota as long as it's not a sword I don't think we have a length restriction (aside from a 4" limit in Minneapolis). I think I've seen in the statute a ban on auto's, but I think I may do some research to make certain whether or not I could actually carry an auto, which I certainly don't have in my collection

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    Solution: Spyderco opens a new factor in california, just to make ladybugs with 1.9" blades.
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bradley's Avatar
    Lol yeh, what he said.
    Current:
    Dodo (stuck lock)
    Smallfly
    Para 2
    S110V Mule
    Meerkat
    K04 Kitchen Knife

Whenever it gets here:
    S90V CF Yo 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minibear453 View Post
    Solution: Spyderco opens a new factor in california, just to make ladybugs with 1.9" blades.
    Only sensible solution
    Come Join Us Click Here

Yeah, California allows them if they're under two inches. Quite a few well known companies make them for that market, Benchmade, Schrade, Microtech etc.

CA citizens can own more than just Protech's knives Deacon. Any company making them under 2" inches there. Imagine the outcry if a state only let one company legally sell something...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bradley's Avatar
    He was just saying Federal law technically outlaws switchblades from being transported across state lines (I think)
    Current:
    Dodo (stuck lock)
    Smallfly
    Para 2
    S110V Mule
    Meerkat
    K04 Kitchen Knife

Whenever it gets here:
    S90V CF Yo 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    He was just saying Federal law technically outlaws switchblades from being transported across state lines (I think)
    Exactly. If other brands of sub 2" autos are made in California, they can be sold there legally. If they're manufactured anywhere else, then whoever sells them in California is violating Federal law even if the knives are "California legal". The fact nobody's ever been prosecuted by the Feds for doing so just means the law has never been enforced.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    To address the potential functionality of a small auto (as opposed to the legality of them) -

I have a small Hubertus lever lock which I've used for years and years. It is probably three inches folded, with a clip point 2.75" blade. It has stag scales and nickel/silver bolsters. Not sure of the steel, but it is probably a 440 series. Nice little knife, but on the heavy side for something its size...

However, it is a great knife for keeping in your office or work area - quick to deploy especially when you are working on a repair and need a quick one-handed deployment. I'd be really be psyched if it were a little lighter and made with a good steel.

TedP

Couldn't have said it better myself philipsted.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    To address the potential functionality of a small auto (as opposed to the legality of them) -

I have a small Hubertus lever lock which I've used for years and years. It is probably three inches folded, with a clip point 2.75" blade. It has stag scales and nickel/silver bolsters. Not sure of the steel, but it is probably a 440 series. Nice little knife, but on the heavy side for something its size...

However, it is a great knife for keeping in your office or work area - quick to deploy especially when you are working on a repair and need a quick one-handed deployment. I'd be really be psyched if it were a little lighter and made with a good steel.

TedP
    Smallest Hubertus I've seen has a 2.5" blade and a 3.375" handle, so it's a hair bigger than a Kiwi and a hair smaller than a Kopa. That's a nice size for a small, yet still functional, knife. However, it's considerably larger than a Ladybug. Heck, at 3" closed, even my ProTech Runt is a good bit bigger than a Ladybug.
    Last edited by The Deacon; 10-20-2011 at 04:10 AM.
    Paul