Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current list of USA made Spydercos?

Current list of USA made Spydercos?

Well I survived another year of school, so I decided to buy myself a new Spyderco. I would like to support the workers in Colorado by buying one they made. I have not been on this site for a while and I am not current on anything related to knives.
    So, is there a current list of knives made here in USA?
    I am not trying to be political, I own knives made is Swiss, Germany, Japan, China, England, and so on. And I love all knives equally, no matter where they were born. I just want to have at least one 100% made in USA Spyderco.
    I owned a beautiful Chinook at one time, but that was stolen. What a sad day that was.
    I especially like vg10 steel.
    Which Colorado made knife do you like best?

Spyderco Forum Registered User dsmegst's Avatar
    Hi, the easiest way to find that list is to go to www.spyderco.com and list the knives by country of origin.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list...nited%20States

As for which I like the best, the Para 2 is at the top of my list, closely followed by the Manix 2. Unfortunately, VG-10, being a Japanese steel, won't appear in any US made knives.
    Last edited by dsmegst; 09-13-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral

Thanks dsmegst. And you are right, S30V is the steel I meant, that is what I think my Chinook was. (but I could be wrong again) I don't know so much about steel. But the Chinook was wonderful. Hmmmm... now i have to get my knives out and find which is made of vg10.

The "country of origin" is a new option I didn't know about. (New to me)

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    There were 43 chinooks made with VG-10 if I'm not mistaken. Those are very rare and very desirable from a collector POV. If you had a VG-10 'nook stolen, you have my sincere sympathies, Karen.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question VG-10 in a ChinooK????????

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Well I survived another year of school, so I decided to buy myself a new Spyderco. I would like to support the workers in Colorado by buying one they made. I have not been on this site for a while and I am not current on anything related to knives.
    So, is there a current list of knives made here in USA?
    I am not trying to be political, I own knives made is Swiss, Germany, Japan, China, England, and so on. And I love all knives equally, no matter where they were born. I just want to have at least one 100% made in USA Spyderco.
    I owned a beautiful Chinook at one time, but that was stolen. What a sad day that was.
    I especially like vg10 steel.
    Which Colorado made knife do you like best?
    A Chinook with VG-10 Steel ? Every Chinook I ever owned had one of the Crucible steels in it i.e. 440V (S60V), S30V ect. And I've owned at least 4 of them including the Chinook III the longest which had S30V blade steel.

But hey I'm with you 1000% with your passion for USA, Golden Colorado made Spyders. They will always have a special place in my heart.

The only Golden Colorado made Spyder I ever owned that had a Japanese steel in it was the original Golden made Renegade model which had GIN-1.

Oh for the record the Chinook III was my fav out of all of them.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Red face I guess I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    There were 43 chinooks made with VG-10 if I'm not mistaken. Those are very rare and very desirable from a collector POV. If you had a VG-10 'nook stolen, you have my sincere sympathies, Karen.
    Hey I guess I learn something old everyday. Those had to be a show prototype of some sort. Because I had one of the original Chinook I models with S30V steel which is considered as rare as a hen's tooth or an honest politician or whatever. But this is the first I've heard of a VG-10 Chinook
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Hmm it seems I'm mistaken, there seem to be only 23 of these.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showp...74&postcount=1

Interesting. So I could be right, I was so certain the blade was vg10 on my Chinook. I really loved that knife. I used it hard on several occasions and it never rusted and it kept pretty sharp. When I held it in my hand, I could really feel the strength and quality in that knife.

I understand what your saying. I wanted a US spyderco too. I bought the Manix 2, which is an excellent knife. Its a bit on the heavy side, but it feels solid. And it has great balance in my opinion. I was just checking my others out last night and found that the balance on the manix 2 is best imo. The balance point is right where your index finger fits. My Military I just got yesterday is the same way. Compared to the delica and endura that I own where the balance is more towards the center of the whole knife, about where your middle finger is. Anyway, love my manix and love its ball bearing lock. Solid. I also own a UKPK which is also made in the USA. I believe the Native is USA made also.
    Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.

Manix 2, Military or Para 2. Para 2 is my fav, but they are all amazing.

That is the first time I've seen the Chinook's blade. Great hunting blade!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    My favorite Golden is the Spyderco Military, followed very closely by the Spyderco C95 Manix.

The RFP of my jeans is reserved primarily for my Golden s. There are times my non-Golden s EDC that pocket (such as my Spyderco Delica4 PE or my Spyderco Caly3 PE for a more discreet carry), and once in a great while another brand of USA-made knife gets an opportunity to EDC that pocket; however, the majority of the time it's a Golden you find there.
    Spyderco WTC #1044

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar

Thumbs up Native5

Do not forget new Native5. Amazing knife. My favorite Golden model.
    I cannot wait for titanium variant.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

I wanted something made in the USA and bought a Para 2. Great knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jet B's Avatar
    I vote Paramilitary 2 as well.

It's one of the best knives they make and it's made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth.

The members of the military family are my favorites Golden models.

Spyderco Forum Registered User duvaldrummer's Avatar
    According to spydercos site, the new junior is made in the US and has VG10 steel.. is this correct?
    My 's : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duvaldrummer View Post
    According to spydercos site, the new junior is made in the US and has VG10 steel.. is this correct?
    No, those lists seem to get a bit out of whack at times. The Junior is made in Japan. Just like the Bi-Fold is made in the USA, rather than Taiwan.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

I loved my old Chinook, so... I will buy a new one. :)

Ok , I am going to buy a new Chinook.

Are they made with different steels now? Which one is the best?

No H1 yet probably? I like the idea of a knife never rusting. I need to learn more about steel. One of my weak subjects.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    The Chinook 3 was discontinued last year, so they may be hard to find (they're very pricey on eBay). As for blade steel, except for the extremely rare VG-10 version and the moderately rare 440V Chinook 1, I believe S30V was the only steel it came in.
    Last edited by jabba359; 09-26-2011 at 03:11 AM.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule