Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Native5 is Now Available!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I think he's either talking about the future FRN version, or future prices on the BF Exchange, etc. I wouldn't count on a 62.5% discount on any Spyderco unless, perhaps, it was being closed out at fire sale prices.
    Yeah sorry...should have edited the post I was replying to. But yes the future possible FRN Native 5...my guess would be around $75, not the same lower price we have seen on the existing native lightweights.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    Just ordered my Native 5 from CS. Can't wait. Busy Spyderco week.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MountainManJim's Avatar
    Got to play with the Native 5 today and to compare it to the Junior. The Native is very STOUT; thick blade steel and thick liners. It's a little tank of a knife.

I think they may have been trying to keep the handle thickness at the FRN thickness. Unlike the CF model, which seems to be more sleek and thin.

There appears to a bunch of development work that went into the design. I noticed that the lock spring is different than the FRN model, not sure why.

It's a very nice knife.

Jim
    I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5

Ezekiel 4:12

Order in !

Waited on this since I fondled the prototype at the Amsterdam mini-meet,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by MountainManJim View Post
    Got to play with the Native 5 today and to compare it to the Junior. The Native is very STOUT; thick blade steel and thick liners. It's a little tank of a knife.

I think they may have been trying to keep the handle thickness at the FRN thickness. Unlike the CF model, which seems to be more sleek and thin.

There appears to a bunch of development work that went into the design. I noticed that the lock spring is different than the FRN model, not sure why.

It's a very nice knife.

Jim
    Thanks for the info, it looks like a tough s'ed knife for sure.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Guys, Native5 is a great knife. I love mine. Spyderco did really good job: lock is very smooth, jimping are refined and I like them more than on Native or Native4. Full screw construction will never hurt. No dent is nice. I like it probably more than I like Native4. I cannot wait for more variants of Native5. I hope for few sprints
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    Guys, Native5 is a great knife. I love mine. Spyderco did really good job: lock is very smooth, jimping are refined and I like them more than on Native or Native4. Full screw construction will never hurt. No dent is nice. I like it probably more than I like Native4. I cannot wait for more variants of Native5. I hope for few sprints
    Good to hear.

This will be my first introduction to the Native series, and from what I can gather, it will be a pleasant one.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Just got my tracking number, I've been waiting on this one since the first rumors!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ronin203's Avatar
    I'm really looking forward to this one. Great looking knife, and I've really come to like the flat ground blades.
    if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem".. " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    Finally got mine. I love this thing. Feels very solid, like a mini Manix 2. Another home run for me. Thanks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User On Edge's Avatar
    Got mine this weekend ...

Same "form factor" as previous Natives, but "more" .... very solid - steel liners make it feel more substantial, and it is a bit more upscale ... nice smooth action, locks up like a small vault, jimping begins on the lock bar and extends through the "H" (nice touch), nice grippy G-10, FFG ... this is a whole new Native, but still fits the hand like a glove ...

I think this one is destined to be a long term favorite.

Excellent job. Thank you, Sal!
    Last edited by On Edge; 09-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.

"In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice ... In practice, there is."

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler_9 View Post
    Finally got mine. I love this thing. Feels very solid, like a mini Manix 2. Another home run for me. Thanks.
    +1

This is the best knife I've seen from Spyderco in recent times. Awesome design, amazing fit and finish for a production. I'm definitely going to pick up at least one more.

Love this thing!

Hi Riverboy,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Glad you llike the piece.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User warriorsociologist's Avatar
    Wow. This is simply an outstanding knife -- it hits the form factor squarely on the nose and if anything, it makes me want to see a sprint run of the old C95 Manix knives again even more. I think with my box of old-timey slippies for most office-days EDC, my Native 5 for "jeans days," and a large C95 Manix for the woods, I'd be able to get rid of most of my other knives. The Native 5 is just perfect, IMO. A C95 is about as close as one can get to a "fixed blade replacement" in a folder. I really hope 2012 is the year I can once again own a C95...
    - Chris
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12256&dateline=124415  6692

Spyderco Forum Registered User md8232's Avatar
    I got to handle / fondle one today, what a great fit in my hand! A Native was my first
    Spydie. I'm trying to be strong and wait for a sprint with some super steel (K390), but that may not be possible.
    Any word on a 2012 Sprint?
    Last edited by md8232; 12-30-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Steel

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar
    I would like to see a sprint on the Native 5 but not so sure they will make one.

I got one for myself as n/y present, but shipped it back. Sorry to say, but I do not like it at all. Looking for 4/CF for now.

Spyderco Forum Registered User willydigger's Avatar
    Can anyone provide some feedback on the opening?

Quick history, I hate lockbacks because they are tough to open (no flick open). I had a Dragonfly 2 G10 and it went back because of how stiff it was to open. With the Native 5 I hear the lockback is less stiff and it has a bushing pivot reducing resistance. Can anyone provide a comparison to say the Sage 1 or Persistence liner series? Can it be flicked open?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
    Can anyone provide some feedback on the opening?

Quick history, I hate lockbacks because they are tough to open (no flick open). I had a Dragonfly 2 G10 and it went back because of how stiff it was to open. With the Native 5 I hear the lockback is less stiff and it has a bushing pivot reducing resistance. Can anyone provide a comparison to say the Sage 1 or Persistence liner series? Can it be flicked open?
    Lock spring is a bit heavy, but that's the way I like them, so you'd probably hate it. Takes deliberate thumb action to open, closes with a good snap. No chance of accidental in pocket openings.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I would just stay away from lockbacks then.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf