Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spyderco Native5 is Now Available!

Spyderco Forum Registered User willydigger's Avatar
    That's too bad. I was looking for a medium USA made knife. Thanks for the feedback.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    FWIW, the regular FRN C41 Native has the weakest spring of any Spyderco midlock.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The Leafstorm is mid-size but kinda expensive. The manix2 lightweight might work for you but isn't really medium in dimensions. The P'kal or Native FRN might work.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User INFRNL's Avatar
    The Native 5 I think is a little easier to open and can be flicked. However it takes some practice because of the extra tension compared to the sage. I typically do not like back locks kind of for the same reason, but i am not going to let that stop me from a great knife.
    I tend to like the Native 5 a little more than the sage. A native with liner or compression lock would be ideal
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    The Native 5 I think is a little easier to open and can be flicked. However it takes some practice because of the extra tension compared to the sage. I typically do not like back locks kind of for the same reason, but i am not going to let that stop me from a great knife.
    I tend to like the Native 5 a little more than the sage. A native with liner or compression lock would be ideal
    100% agree with the liner/compression statement. I think I will end up buying one. I did get a Cat that is really nice, but as I buy more Spyderco's I realize none are perfect and each has something to offer.

I actually prefer a little extra tension. The Sage is too "soft" and requires deliberate finger strength, while the Cat and Persistence I own have a stronger detent so the force required to overcome the resistance flings the knife open. The Dragonfly has this same force requirement, but wow was the lockback tight and I would slip off the spydie hole more often than I would get the knife open (maybe an exaggeration, but if you didn't get it completely open look out for it to snap back closed!).

I love LOVE the Native 5 blade shape, choil, and size. G10 IMO is preferred over Carbon Fiber. The only flaw of course being the lockback. I think I will learn to open slow and have a great knife otherwise.

INFRNL, I just noticed you have the Dragonfly G10 and the Native 5. Is there a noticeable difference? How do the lockbacks compare?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Willydigger,

Lockbacks offer the strongest self-close from the farthest out position. This makes it the least likely to accidentally open.....ie: the safest in the closed postion.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
    INFRNL, I just noticed you have the Dragonfly G10 and the Native 5. Is there a noticeable difference? How do the lockbacks compare?
    I am not sure how to answer this exactly. This is like comparing apples to oranges They are both 2 of my favorites that I tend to edc. They both feel great in the hand and work reallly well.

For back locks: I can flick both of them open(Native being easier), they are both smooth, DF being a little smoother. The spring tension on the DF is noticeably stiffer, but that could be because of the smaller platform. If I hold the Native with blade straight out and press the lock, the blade will naturally drop, The DF wont move on its own. Lockup on both are solid. Both have a slight amount of vertical play, but a decent amount of force is needed to make this happen. I think this is common because of the nature of the lock system (the blade and lock work as one).

As I have said, I love both knives. The ergos are great on both. The DF might be little but it acts like a bigger knife. It would be able to handle the common edc jobs.

I hope this helps; let me know if I missed anything you were hoping to hear.
    CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point

I just bought a pink Native for a lady friend of mine, & she loves it! I've held it & flipped it a few times & it's pretty smooth, but the handle is just sooooo small. I do have fairly large hands, but they're not ridiculously large. The Native handle is just about 1/2 inch too small. Other than that, I really like it! A Native XL Sprint please!!

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    For back locks: I can flick both of them open(Native being easier), they are both smooth, DF being a little smoother. The spring tension on the DF is noticeably stiffer, but that could be because of the smaller platform...
    I had the Dragonfly 2 for a couple days and it was too small to comfortably deploy the blade. I really liked the shape and blade of the Dragonfly, but for me I wasn't satisfied spending $75 for a knife that didn't outperform my Persistence.

Since then I've gone with the Sage 1 (more comfortable otherwise equal to the Persistence IMO) and then to the Cat. The Cat IMO is more comfortable than the Dragonfly and of course I prefer the liner lock.

Now I'm itching for a USA made knife. The offerings are very slim considering my size, material, and locking preferences. I'm going to have to settle (which is a word I hate to use when talking about a knife over $100).

Thanks for the feedback. I did find a video of a French Native 5 owner using the thumb flick and it seemed easy enough. The bushing pivot has really peeked my interest too. I think my knife interest has evolved from strictly a tool to more of an appreciation of workmanship and concept.

Quote Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
    I had the Dragonfly 2 for a couple days and it was too small to comfortably deploy the blade. I really liked the shape and blade of the Dragonfly, but for me I wasn't satisfied spending $75 for a knife that didn't outperform my Persistence.

Since then I've gone with the Sage 1 (more comfortable otherwise equal to the Persistence IMO) and then to the Cat. The Cat IMO is more comfortable than the Dragonfly and of course I prefer the liner lock.

Now I'm itching for a USA made knife. The offerings are very slim considering my size, material, and locking preferences. I'm going to have to settle (which is a word I hate to use when talking about a knife over $100).

Thanks for the feedback. I did find a video of a French Native 5 owner using the thumb flick and it seemed easy enough. The bushing pivot has really peeked my interest too. I think my knife interest has evolved from strictly a tool to more of an appreciation of workmanship and concept.
    The DF is definitily a little small to be trying to flick it open; however its possible.
    The native is very similar to the Sage; so if you like the sage, you should really like the Native with the exception of the back lock. I really like the Cat too. Its a little bigger than the Df, flicks open like a rocket, but has nylon bushings rather than bronze. Not a deal breaker but a great knife for $40
    I started off trying not to buy knives with back locks, but that didn't last long. I would rather have a great knife then to worry about the lock. The native is easy to work, one handed. Its not quite as fun as a liner or compression lock, but it works.

Good luck in your next choice

Hi Willydigger,

While it is just my opinion, There is a great deal going on in the world of knives. Flickability is such a small part of that vast world. Also "flick" knives are not legal in many parts of America or the world for that matter. By making your decisions on such a small feature, I believe you rob yourself of much that is offered.

sal

Thanks again to all. I have decided to get the Native. Ultimately I think Sal is right. The sole reason I hate the lock back is the inability to flick it open. I've ended up "settling" for other knives with different flaws (I say flaws perhaps the better word is dislikes). Though the Native is the most expensive knife I've purchased, I'll get that warm and fuzzy feeling every time I read USA Earth.

Of course this will probably mean they will come out with a compression on liner version soon! That would be my luck!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Congrats bud . I'm sure it will be a great fit. Sometimes having more reasoning behind a design helps justify the nuances.

Just think how strong your thumb will get!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User darkstar29's Avatar
    The Native 5 is possibly my favorite blade purchased this past year. The ergos are great. I love back locks. Flick is over-rated, IMO. The spydie hole allows very quick deployment while maintaining superior control of the blade.. Plus, the N5 just 'feels' like it could do anything you ask, and then some.. It's a beast of a blade. Love it.

I am greatly anticipating the FRN release of this knife!

Well it finally arrived. The lock back is tight. Tighter than I hoped for and not loose enough to tout that it is easy to manipulate. This is/was my BIGGEST issue, but I knew it going in so I won't harp on it.

The other aspects of the knife outweigh (to some undecided degree) the lock back. My pro list includes in order of value:
    1. USA Earth
    2. Overall Knife Size
    3. Blade Shape
    4. G10
    5. Blade Steel Quality*

*I understand there is some debate of the value of S35VN, but I'm perfectly happy with 440C and 8cr13mov so having a steel that is iffy is fine by me.

A couple other details that I was curious about.
    1. The etching is not ground in like the Sage 1. If I decide to polish it the etch will come off. A small bummer.
    2. The fit and finish is good, not great, but not enough to take away from the knife. Specifically the spacer at the pommel is not square. It is a hair uneven. The back end of the button is the same way, uneven. I understand it's a production knife so no big deal to me.

Well, even if I prefer this Native 5 to the carbon fiber one, because of the feeling of strong it give off, I still miss the Native 1 blade ...
    So much that I'm thinking about buying another C41PBK to get back the blade in S30V and the locking system, and to build a new Native with steel liners (and perhaps orange handle !).

Please Sal, come back to the original blade design for the Native 6

EDIT : second native5 bought, to carry one and keep one in my collection. I love it in fact !
    Last edited by M2P; 03-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Plain Edge Friendly !
    Favorite ones : 1- Native (+ Poliwog) 2- J.S.Khalsa 3- H.Viele & Dragonfly
    ~~ Still looking for the Native C41PBBK ! ~~

I recently picked up a Native 5 and it suddenly became one of my favorite folders to carry. I already had a soft spot for the Native because it was my first Spyderco I ever bought many years ago. When I found out they had a new model out with a FFG and G10 scales I had to get it. Good job Spyderco, you hit this one out of the park. I hope to see some sprint runs with the Native 5 in the future.

Spyderco Forum Registered User oldschool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2P View Post
    Please Sal, come back to the original blade design for the Native 6
    Indeed. I am not a big fan of the somewhat larger belly on the Native 5. The original looked much meaner.
    Native III PE
    Native PE
    Sage I
    Pacific Salt
    Delica 4 Blue
    Manix2 Blue Lightweight