Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USN Catcherman - EXCLUSIVE

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    I really want one of these but can't risk it because Spyderco.com ships USPS to the UK. Despite being legal over here, almost any Spydie folder is at risk of being confiscated by customs (with no viable appeal process).

If only Fedex or UPS were an option...

sigh
    PM me if you want to discuss a possible solution???

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Not sure on the molded pocket clip, wish they also made a flat ground version too, but beggars can't be choosers! Love the color scheme though for sure!
    Ryan

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I am quite surprised that it is not sold out yet
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User hiredgun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I am quite surprised that it is not sold out yet
    Molded clip and a specialized knife (fillet). Doesn't surprise me and this is from a man who loves lime green.
    You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xavierdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    PM me if you want to discuss a possible solution???
    I can't believe I missed this!

JNewell, you are a gentleman. PM sent.
    UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
    Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior

Spyderco Forum Registered User DerRock's Avatar
    More photos

Last edited by DerRock; 11-29-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dd61999's Avatar
    Awesome pics!!!

I think the reason it didnt sell is due to the price and is only available through spyderco.com

This is a worker knife....Outdorsmans love fillet knives, not only for fishing, but more and more are seeing the benefit for hunting as well. But, over $100 for a frn knife, at that price point I think the market is limited

Make a standard run of h1 catcherman and a few ads in field and stream magazine. I am willing to bet it would be a hit. What fisherman would not love a rust free fillet knife

But then again I have made bad business decisions before, so what do I know!

Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar

Thumbs up

Great pics, DerRock, thanks!
    They look better than my original!

Quote Originally Posted by dd61999 View Post
    Awesome pics!!!

I think the reason it didnt sell is due to the price and is only available through spyderco.com

This is a worker knife....Outdorsmans love fillet knives, not only for fishing, but more and more are seeing the benefit for hunting as well. But, over $100 for a frn knife, at that price point I think the market is limited

Make a standard run of h1 catcherman and a few ads in field and stream magazine. I am willing to bet it would be a hit. What fisherman would not love a rust free fillet knife

But then again I have made bad business decisions before, so what do I know!
    It does take a special kind of person to recognize a quality blade like this. So, I purchased 2 of them. I consider it a must have blade for any serious outdoorsman, or even occasional fisherman. Plus, that toxic green frm on black h1 is way kool.
    Last edited by Slash; 12-04-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Question How About one in FULL SPYDEREDGE??

An appeal to the folks at the Great Spyder Factory I'm hoping that you all will make this great classic available in full Spyderedge. I was just doing some food prep yesterday with my older AUS-8, full Spyderedge Catcherman and it is a great blade for all kinds of culinary and outdoor cutting chores.

A full Spyderedged version of this bad boy in H-1 would truly MAKE MY YEAR in many ways.

Also you could change the color of the handle to the original Yellow of the older model in AUS-8.

The Serration pattern of the older AUS-8 Spyderedged Catcherman is one of the most aggressive but best food prep cutting serration patterns of any of Spyderco's food/outdoor blades ever.

I hope someone is listening
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

I'd have gotten one if it came out in a steel like VG10 or S30V and a plain blade.
    I know that the combo blade is functional, but I am not fond of sharpening anything but a plain edge. This is purely personal, but I have a folding fillet knife in 440C, and would be tempted by a steel with somewhat more edge retention. The old fillet knife folder that I have is a Gerber, and so there was no cryo heat treatment. A fillet knife in 440C with cryo treatment would be attractive to me, but I would be more likely to pick one up in VG10, S30V, S35V, or 154CM or a similar steel. I have never had a problem with rust when I used my 440C knives in salt water, but on a fishing good day, I wanted better edge retention than I got from older 440C blades, as in my Gerber folders and fixed blade fishing knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mako109's Avatar
    Fly fishing and fishing in general has been a major hobby of mine for over 35 years, so I feel compelled to add my 2 cents and a little more. I’ve used many fillet knives, including the Catcherman. My favorite fishing knives are FFG FBs, but for a folder here is what I perfer:

-Blade length of 6-6.5”. To me the cutting edge of the Catcherman, at just under 4.5”, is a bit short for a general species filleting knife. It’s doable for small fish and bait, but I find a 6 -7” cutting edge more useful. That length can produce clean fillets on small to medium panfish, bass, and trout, yet it’s long enough for larger fish like walleye, salmon, etc.

- Plain edge, full flat grind. The serrated portion of the Catcherman reduces the effective cutting length for filleting and skinning. I get the best, cleanest results with a full plain edge. It’s also easier for me to keep a plain edge razor sharp so that I can quickly zip the blade along the full length of the spine to produce a long clean fillet; then slide the blade smoothly between the skin and flesh to separate the two. A full plain edge is also much more effective for scaling. I’ve tried full serrated blades for the job and they usually require a slight sawing motion at some point or another (at least for me), and produce rougher looking cuts and fillets.

- Dark color handles. Cleaning fish and cutting bait is about the filthiest, roughest job I subject my knives to. Red blood and green-brown-yellow ooze gets all over the place and really messes up lighter color handles. Yeah it can be washed it off, but sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing and often it’s either too cold or too dark by the time we’re done cleaning fish. So once the job is done I just give the knife a quick rinse and wipe then dump it in the bucket with the rest of the stinky tools and head home. It may be days before I get around to properly cleaning the knife.

- What’s the purpose of a black blade on a fillet knife? I see no use (other than it looks cool with the green) but if it adds to the cost of the knife then I prefer a regular finish.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Hey Mako, welcome to the forums if you haven't been welcomed yet!

The USN Catcherman was done in the strange black/green/Combo Edge configuration likely to echo the USN Endura Wave a few years back. It's more or less a forum knife available to outsiders too. It's a little busy for me and I'm a USN member but out of commemoration it makes sense.

H1 is an awesome steel for it and the handle makes it difficult to lose, prob the most rational aspects. Also, H1 is soft everywhere but the edge so the coating may keep scratches to a minimum? Just my speculation, no clue.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    It was a sprint run (not a production run) of an existing model for which tooling was on hand, done for a forum whose colors are toxic green and black. It's about that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako109 View Post
    Fly fishing and fishing in general has been a major hobby of mine for over 35 years, so I feel compelled to add my 2 cents and a little more. Iíve used many fillet knives, including the Catcherman. My favorite fishing knives are FFG FBs, but for a folder here is what I perfer:

-Blade length of 6-6.5Ē. To me the cutting edge of the Catcherman, at just under 4.5Ē, is a bit short for a general species filleting knife. Itís doable for small fish and bait, but I find a 6 -7Ē cutting edge more useful. That length can produce clean fillets on small to medium panfish, bass, and trout, yet itís long enough for larger fish like walleye, salmon, etc.

- Plain edge, full flat grind. The serrated portion of the Catcherman reduces the effective cutting length for filleting and skinning. I get the best, cleanest results with a full plain edge. Itís also easier for me to keep a plain edge razor sharp so that I can quickly zip the blade along the full length of the spine to produce a long clean fillet; then slide the blade smoothly between the skin and flesh to separate the two. A full plain edge is also much more effective for scaling. Iíve tried full serrated blades for the job and they usually require a slight sawing motion at some point or another (at least for me), and produce rougher looking cuts and fillets.

- Dark color handles. Cleaning fish and cutting bait is about the filthiest, roughest job I subject my knives to. Red blood and green-brown-yellow ooze gets all over the place and really messes up lighter color handles. Yeah it can be washed it off, but sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing and often itís either too cold or too dark by the time weíre done cleaning fish. So once the job is done I just give the knife a quick rinse and wipe then dump it in the bucket with the rest of the stinky tools and head home. It may be days before I get around to properly cleaning the knife.

- Whatís the purpose of a black blade on a fillet knife? I see no use (other than it looks cool with the green) but if it adds to the cost of the knife then I prefer a regular finish.