Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Spyderco Chaparral

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Uzumlubay, I live in the Philippines and I like my spydies. I have bought 90 percent of my 25 or so knives online. I made my decision as to what knife to buy mainly from the input I get from the forums. On each of my purchases, I have rolled the dice on getting a good specimen, on the item making it through the postal system of a 3rd world country(and all that that implies). I can say that I like centered blades, no blade play, and reasonably good grinds. No dealer that I have bought from have I ever asked to inspect my knives.

Having said all of that, all the knives I have received are to my satisfaction. Maybe some knives, I found are not to my taste but the quality of the product always has satisfied me.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    A STOP PIN FOR A LOCKBACK!: I love it!
    Just noticed this in the Chap. Read a few of the first posts, but that's it, missed the stop pin photos till now.
    There will be no loose lockups with this setup. Cold Steel has a stop pin in their lockback setup and had hopped Spyderco would do same........Done!

Say, will the Sage IV have this type lock?
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    gullwing-
    I think Sal has said the Sage IV is slated to have an Al Mar mid-lock...?

Picked mine up on the secondary market for a great price. What a great little EDC. Definitely worth the $$$. Highly recommended.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    matman, I know ! They are lockbacks.
    Hoping the new sage will have the same STOP PIN feature the Chap does(see pictures).
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

yeah, I just figured that the spirit of the Sage series, the crew would stay with the "classic" design of his lock, rather than change it by adding the Chapparall-esqe stop pin improvement, effectively implying "this is how it SHOULD have been done." (not that I think they would)

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Pivot adjustment

This may be old news to some but I could take both pivot screws out and the tension was still a little tighter than I wanted. I had seen the picture of the knife taken apart and remembered there was a screw through the liners and lockbar where it pivots. So, I took the scale off the knife, loostened the screw a little until the blade would just fall down when I pushed the lock release. Then I put the scale and pivot screws back on and now can adjust the tension with the pivot screws like you are supposed to be able to.

Just thought I'd pass this alone for anyone who may want to know.

Jack
    PS,
    DON'T FORGET, THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.2.the.p's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I carried mine for a while without the clip and like you said it does look like it's no big deal. I'm still going to try to get the shorter screw so without the clip both sides of the handle look the same. Both screws flush with the scales I mean. I'll talk to Spyderco about it and if it is a burden for them I'll live without it. It isn't that important. I am liking the knife more and more and I've owned mine less than 24 hours.

Jack
    Not to bring up old stuff, but have you or anyone found a remedy for wanting to remove the clip and replace the screw so that it sits flush with the scales? After carrying mine daily for a while now, I kinda want to take the clip off.

Quote Originally Posted by d.2.the.p View Post
    Not to bring up old stuff, but have you or anyone found a remedy for wanting to remove the clip and replace the screw so that it sits flush with the scales? After carrying mine daily for a while now, I kinda want to take the clip off.
    That issue of the screw holding the clip on being longer than the other may be something that wasn't planned by Spyderco. I have a different Chaparral now and both screws are the same and I can take the clip off and both screws are flush with the scales. They look the same on both sides. One thing I did at first was to take the clip off. Then take out the other screw and put it in the hole where the clip was and use the clip screw in the opposite side. That made the screws look closer in appearance without a clip. You might try that.

But, I carried mine for one day in the bottom of my pocket and it got lint and stuff in the pivot area that I had to remove for the blade to lock open correctly. So, I decided to keep using the clip. Another thing about the Chaparral is the grove in the liners where a post that is on the tang rides in is open to dirt and lint when the knife is closed. If something gets in there the knife would need to be disassembled to get it out (if it caused a problem). So, I'm carrying mine clipped to my pocket. Also, the grittyness finall is completely gone from mine. Yeah!

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by gull wing View Post
    A STOP PIN FOR A LOCKBACK!: I love it!
    Just noticed this in the Chap. Read a few of the first posts, but that's it, missed the stop pin photos till now.
    There will be no loose lockups with this setup. Cold Steel has a stop pin in their lockback setup and had hopped Spyderco would do same........Done!

Say, will the Sage IV have this type lock?
    yes.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User angusW's Avatar
    This may be old news to some but I could take both pivot screws out and the tension was still a little tighter than I wanted. I had seen the picture of the knife taken apart and remembered there was a screw through the liners and lockbar where it pivots. So, I took the scale off the knife, loostened the screw a little until the blade would just fall down when I pushed the lock release. Then I put the scale and pivot screws back on and now can adjust the tension with the pivot screws like you are supposed to be able to.

Just thought I'd pass this alone for anyone who may want to know.

Jack
    PS,
    DON'T FORGET, THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
    Thanks for the info Jack. I'm going to try it out this weekend.
    Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gull wing View Post
    matman, I know ! They are lockbacks.
    Hoping the new sage will have the same STOP PIN feature the Chap does(see pictures).
    yes.

sal
    Excellent news, as it means ths Sage IV is on track to be a midlock.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

I wanted to let everyone (especially Spyderco) know that my Chaparral has lost all of it's "grittyness". It opens/closes very smoothly without any of the original gritty issue. It is now as perfect as anything made by man can be. So, whatever was causing the problem has been worked out of it. Maybe a little rough surface on some part inside the knife. Don't know what caused it but I would like to, just out of curiousity. That issue on the Chaparral was the first thing that I considered below par on any Spyderco knife I've owned but now it is gone. Anyway, I wanted to say this because I said enough about it that was negative when I first got the knife and Spyderco deserves the praise a lot more than complaints.

So, if anyone didn't get a Chaparral because of this grittyness I'd suggest you reconsider. If yours comes gritty and not all did, it will probably not last more than a month or two. Less if you carry it every day. I carried mine a lot but not every day. If you have one and haven't carried it because of the issue and the grittyness is still there, let the Chaparral be your "open/close while watching TV" knife. It's very possible that will take care of it. Four movies should do it.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User donutsrule's Avatar

Good knife... Will improve with age

The grittyness is nearly gone on mine. If I had one wish about this knife, it would be that the manufacturers took 2 minutes with a buffer on this after assembly. The non-blade-edges on this thing (liners, jimping corners, spyderhole, mid lock spine, spine of blade) are the sharpest I've run across on any Spyderco, ever. And I have more Spydies than I'd like to admit

Other than that, I really like the knife. Hopefully the next chaparral model will be dehorned.

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Just thought id bring this thread back to say this. I got my chapparal and as most are, it is gritty. BUT , when i depress the lockbar, it is glassy smooth against the liners. I think its a burr or something. Just thought id share
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    Just thought id bring this thread back to say this. I got my chapparal and as most are, it is gritty. BUT , when i depress the lockbar, it is glassy smooth against the liners. I think its a burr or something. Just thought id share
    Mine acted the exact same way. It was the pressure of the lockbar on the tang that caused friction somewhere. With no pressure it was perfectly smooth. I carried mine quite a bit and now it is as smooth as any other knife. The other day I opened the knife with my left hand and there was just a little bit of the gritty feeling. I opened and closed it about 25 times with my left hand and now it is smooth with either hand. The indication to me was the force applied by the thumb forcing the blade to one side or the other should be a clue as to what the problem is. I hope/know Spyderco will have this issue cleared up by the time the next model is manufactured.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Mine acted the exact same way. It was the pressure of the lockbar on the tang that caused friction somewhere. With no pressure it was perfectly smooth. I carried mine quite a bit and now it is as smooth as any other knife. The other day I opened the knife with my left hand and there was just a little bit of the gritty feeling. I opened and closed it about 25 times with my left hand and now it is smooth with either hand. The indication to me was the force applied by the thumb forcing the blade to one side or the other should be a clue as to what the problem is. I hope/know Spyderco will have this issue cleared up by the time the next model is manufactured.

Jack
    I had a stage today where it was smoothish when opening right handed cause it was broken in a little, then if I opened it left handed, gritty as could be. I have washed it about 8 times tonight, it is now fairly smooth, I give it a few days and hopefully its like glass like my caly 3.5. Right now, Im going to (try) stop, Ive opened and disengaged that thin lock bar about 1000 times today, with a cut on that thumb, Ouch!
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1