Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C150GP Junior - REVIEW

Spyderco Forum Registered User

C150GP Junior - REVIEW

Yesterday, UPS delivered a surprise from Sal, a C150GP Junior. As with previous designs from Alexandru Dionescu (Dialex), one expects dramatic profiles accompanying serious ergonomics, this knife is no exception. Inspired by his son’s request for his first pocket knife, Dionescu had safety in mind as one can see by the conspicuous handle cut-out. When I first saw the prototype, a year or two ago, my initial reaction was not particularly favorable as the Junior did not look like it would be comfortable in the hand. Fortunately, first impressions are not always lasting ones and after continual handling and cutting I have completely changed my mind. For my hand, a conventional four-finger grip is quite acceptable especially for push cutting through the many corrugated cardboard boxes we break down every week, but my favorite grip, and one that I usually use with my cooking knives, is a pinch grip. The handle readily allows one to choke-up, grasping the blade by the Spyderhole with thumb and fore finger, and then wrap the remaining three fingers around the handle. The pinch grip gives one perfect dexterity, weightless balance, and positive relaxed control by aligning the pointer finger with the blade. This third eye, if you will, focuses innate natural coordination as the hand will usually follow where this finger goes. All this is made possible by the deep cut-out which is a successful design variant to Spyderco’s varied use of the finger choil.

With such an extremely narrow handle one could imagine that lock strength would be an issue. Fortunately, Spyderco has its Compression Lock that overcomes any qualms concerning weakness. The action is smooth and easy. The lock-up is rigid and crisp without a wobble or flex. Closing only requires a modest squeeze between thumb and fore finger, and a roll of the wrist to close the blade with a positive detent.

The modified leaf blade is well proportioned and strangely balances itself with the rather slender handle. The full flat ground VG-10 blade is a proven cutter that will take and hold a razor sharp edge, while requiring minimal attention on the SharpMaker to re-hone to shaving sharpness. Black G-10 creates a positive grip especially when combined with the blade’s spine jimping. Open construction is accomplished with two barrel spacers, a stepped thong hole liner and inset stop pin. Liners are skeletonized to reduce weight but maintain strength. My only query for Sal is why the Japanese maker (presumably G.Sakai) used nylon bushings rather than the currently preferred phosphor bronze.

Pocket carry is accessible by the use of a tip-up wire clip that allows for right or left hand carry. My only modification would be to perhaps switch the standard wire clip for the deep-pocket-carry clip as found on the Caly3, Caly3.5, and others.

Functional, aesthetic, ergonomic, solid, and minimal are all words that a thesaurus would use to describe any Spyderco, so it does for the C150GP Junior. Thank you Alexandru for this latest Spyderco; may your son continue to be a muse for your creativity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    brian
    www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. This is one knife that I've been looking forward to ever since I saw the Amsterdam pictures. While I always expected it to perform well, I'm glad to hear that the unique shape worked out well for you. I certainly plan on picking one of these up when they come out.

P.S. Any chance we can see some in-hand shots?
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Brian,
    Thank you for review and pictures. Many of us waiting for this knife for a while.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

How thick is the blade. I'm hoping 4mm but I'm not gonna cry if its not. I've been wanting this knife some time now. Its just a great shape. It must not be too far from release.

Looks great, I am hoping that I can afford one after all these sprints!
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User wsdavies's Avatar
    Berry Nice!
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    Theodore Roosevelt

The blade is .118" (3mm) at the tang and .115" (2.97mm) on the spine just past the Spyderhole.
    brian
    www.countryknives.com

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spider bite's Avatar
    Thanks for the review and all the pics. I would really like to see a in hand shot as well. I would also like to know why nylon bushings were used rather than the phosphor bronze?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Thanks for the excellent review and pics. Didn't know it was this close. I need to start saving my pennies.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User iwolf81's Avatar
    Excellent and enticing review Brian!

Give the number, frequency and severity of the Spydie-bites being reported on this forum, I'm sure the Junior could be useful to a few of us less-than-junior folks, with myself included.

Regards,
    Ira
    D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley

I may have to smash the piggy bank to get one of these. Well done
    Any idea of prices?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Awesome review, thanks! I'm loving the pragmatically unconventional knives and the Junior seems a great choice.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

More pics:

Attached Images Attached Images
    brian
    www.countryknives.com

Looks like a really cool knife. However, it looks like a pinch grip type of knife for sure. Even though I like the Leafstorm, it does not get carried much because of the pinch factor. This knife will probably also spend a lot of time in the box after I get over the novelty of carrying it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dj moonbat's Avatar
    The pinch grip is terrific for control, and I have never seen -- and am unlikely ever to see -- a better folder for the pinch grip. I've said all along that this is going to be the best food prep folder ever. With the open construction, the VG-10, the deep belly, and the pinch-grip bolster/choil, it's as good as a folding knife can get for KP.

God, it makes me mad that I can't EDC a knife this size.
    "If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    That thing is awesome! There isn't anything I dislike about that knife. Everything just works, which is typical for a Spyderco.

Thank Dialex and Spyderco for this bad boy!
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User DemskeetSkeet's Avatar
    Does this mean we will be seeing this soon?

Back to topic: Excellent review and I look forward to buying this one ; )

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Thanks for the review and pics. I wasn't too interested in this one at first, but it's definitely been growing on me.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Blade length?

Spyderco Forum Registered User gunnut35's Avatar
    Thank you for the great review...

This is one that i just cant seem to like, but i felt the same way with the Navaja and now its one of my favorites. Thanks to your review, I am now interested in getting my hands on one of the Junior's when it hits the streets..