Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BiFold

Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar

BiFold

Hey guys. I received this knife a while back and have been intrigued by it for a LONG time. I tried researching it a while back and found very little in the way of seeing the knife actuate, and seeing it from many angles (the stock photos are all limited angles, and the videos I have seen all seem to view the knife from the same angle).

Anyway, I made a video that basically shows the knife from many angles and attempts to demonstrate how the deployment works, and what holds the knife closed etc. It is not revolutionary or anything, but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few more angles on this one...

edit: embedding does not seem to be working...if you click on the link in my signature, the video is the featured video on my page...again, nothing amazing, and I hate to link off the forum...but it seems to be the best I can do right now...

here is a direct link
    Last edited by unit; 03-29-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pneumothorax's Avatar
    Cool. Thanks for posting that. I had always wondered how that knife opened up. Lots of complex engineering in that little package.
    2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
    2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!

Yes there are a lot of complexities there. The knife is not cheap in any regard. It is not inexpensive to buy, and it is not flimsy. OTOH, once you handle one...I think most would agree it is worth the price Spyderco puts on it (you just might not have the need to own it).

I figured it would be a delicate package...and I will admit I have not and will not test it out, but it strikes me as VERY solid if used as a cutter. I imagine twisting or prying would shred the mechanism in short order...but hopefully no one would expect to perform those sorts of tasks!!!

I would be interested to hear from anyone that EDCs this knife and uses it for general cutting tasks (if anyone does). I wonder how it holds up...or if it is more of a limited use SD design?
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Spyderco Forum Registered User redyps04's Avatar
    Thanks! Very interesting. Makes me want one now.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Great video Ken! I've been on the fence about this one. What kind of edge have you gotten on there?
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

The edge appears to be a typical Spyderco v-grind but the blade has very little geometry other than a slight curve (belly) the edge grind (so the bevel appears large in spite of being probably 30ish inclusive).

I have not inspected the knife in a couple days...so take all this under consideration. Basically what I mean to convey with this post is that the edge is not untypical for a Spyderco knife (and I have not modified this one).
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Alfox94's Avatar
    Nice video Ken! I would really love one of these. -Brad ;0)

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Thanks for the video! I really want one now. It has some of my favorite features from the Swick/Spot and Poliwog with the addition of a compact and novel opening mechanism. Very cool! I think that if the ambiguities about restrictions can be cleared away this would be a handy item with the advantages of a Swick at least for light/medium duty and also optimal for pocket carry.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

You are very welcome.

The only hitch I see for pocket carry would (possibly) be the very small clip. I am not sure how well it would work with most of the pants I wear.

I think your concept of light/medium duty is probably right on. It feels wonderful in hand, but as thin as it is, I think long durations of heavy cutting would be problematic.
    Last edited by unit; 04-18-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    You know, I never really wanted a Bi-Fold but after seeing that video I would like to try one out.

I did not know how thin and small it really is.

Are they still available or are there still legal complications?

Thanks for the video!
    Come Join Us Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo7809 View Post
    You know, I never really wanted a Bi-Fold but after seeing that video I would like to try one out.

I did not know how thin and small it really is.

Are they still available or are there still legal complications?

Thanks for the video!
    You are welcome!

Yes they are available, and yes there are still legal complications (depending on where you live and what your qualifications are).

We could discuss the legality of it...but there is little point in second guessing laws

I am not sure if the legal issues will/did terminate production of this or not...honestly I am not sure this knife is destined to be a "best seller" anyway...then again, no one would ever accuse me of being particularly good at predicting demand.

For EDC use I think this knife would suffer the same fate as many other knives with small moving parts...and it just does not appear to be something that was built for lots of daily use.

For SD...well I am no expert, but a fixed blade like the Swick is going to deploy faster and would require less training for the deployment under stress.

I am talking out my posterior again....
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The edge is under 2 inches, this knife is not a restricted model. I handled one and it seemed alright for a novelty item but I don't see it particularly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticooledc View Post
    The edge is under 2 inches, this knife is not a restricted model. I handled one and it seemed alright for a novelty item but I don't see it particularly useful.
    Just to clarify, the Bi Fold is a restricted model. According to Federal law, it falls under the same restrictions as an automatic.

Kristi
    There is nothing more important than this one day.

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post
    Just to clarify, the Bi Fold is a restricted model. According to Federal law, it falls under the same restrictions as an automatic.

Kristi
    What she said!

What laws are actually ENCORCED (by local LEOs) in your area of the USA might be a little less simple...but technically (and most conservatively) if this knife is restricted as an auto by the Federal law, a person lacking proper credentials to carry it will be acting outside the federal law by carrying it (regardless of local law because federal law supersedes local laws).

The safest answer is to assume that this knife could be regarded as an automatic knife in the U.S.A.

Or something like that...
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post

Kristi
    You should inform your dealers of passing out false information in that case

You should inform your dealers of passing out false information in that case
    Watch the video in the OP. There is extensive paperwork in the box that the knife comes in. How much more informing would you suggest Spyderco do? I realize that you are probably joking, but there is a wealth of misinformation regarding knives (often times spread by those selling them)...it would be a pretty tall order to control it (even for Spyderco).
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

Of course Spyderco can't hold every single vendor's hands with the legalities, I was just bringing up the point that a certain popular dealer in my area had this displayed with all of the other spyderco's, and someone that appeared to be the owner stated it is a legal knife, readily letting me play with it and most likely wanting to sell it to me, although I am neither law enforcement or military....yet

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Of course Spyderco can't hold every single vendor's hands with the legalities, I was just bringing up the point that a certain popular dealer in my area had this displayed with all of the other spyderco's, and someone that appeared to be the owner stated it is a legal knife, readily letting me play with it and most likely wanting to sell it to me, although I am neither law enforcement or military....yet
    There are quite a few places that allow automatic knives with sub 2" blades such as various places in California.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I just ordered one online and can't wait for its arrival.

Blade Play?

Does anyone else who owns this knife experience a good deal of "play" at the joint when the knife is in the open position?