Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The hands down best multi tool ever made?

Spyderco Forum Registered User dd61999's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    Good call on this, though I think the OP is looking for something with little flip out tools, not one incredibly simple and versatile one.
    It has a flip out tool,plus it can do all this!

1. can opener
    2. all-purpose toothpick
    3. fingernail cleaner
    4. splinter remover
    5. flat-head screwdriver – use one of the ends
    6. phillips-head screwdriver – use one of the corners
    7. bottle opener
    8. box cutter
    9. letter opener
    10. chisel
    11. stirrer
    12. neck slasher (women used to carry to use in case of attack)
    13. seam ripper
    14. cut fishing line
    15. open paint cans
    16. window scraper
    17. scrape around floor corners
    18. digging
    19. clean out groove on Tupperware lids
    20. reach in and clean out small cracks
    21. scrape around edge of boots
    22. {in the field} gut fish
    23. {in the field} scale fish
    24. test for “doneness” when baking on a camp fire
    25. prying items
    26. strip wire
    27. scrape pans in the field
    28. lift key on flip top cans
    29. barter
    30. marking tool
    31. deflating tires
    32. measurement
    33. striking flint
    34. puncturing plastic coating
    35. knocking on doors
    36. Morse Code
    37. write emergency messages
    38. scratch an itch
    39. save as a souvenir
    40. rip off rank for on the spot promotion
    41. carburetor repair tool
    42. bee sting removal tool (scrape off w/ blade)
    43. knife sharpener

i carry a swisstool spirt, it fit my requirements better than anything else, but it too still has its shortcomings, im not big on the pinned construction, but it is very very solid. also it was by far the cheapest i looked at.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    I'm also a fan of the SOG Powerlock. It's only drawback is weight, which is why I don't have one on my belt right now.

Since buying a Leatherman CX Skeletool for a friend who is a minimalist hiker who did not even have a decent pocket knife I have been pondering how small/light a multitool has to be for me to carry it all the time.
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar
    I carry a purple leatherman juice xe6 on my belt in leathermans juice sheath (which I like a lot, it's stable and discrete.) I drink 3 bottles of wine a week so the corkscrew was actually a deciding factor (I got s SAK eyeglass screwdriver corkscrew insert from NGK, for like a buck fiddy) and since a lot of the time when one needs pliers one needs two pair I also carry a leatherman crunch horizontally on my belt right side small of the back in a maxpedition sheath.
    Last edited by Michael Cook; 03-29-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Well my local knife shop ended up having a huge selection of multi tools so i got a feel for all the ones i was debating over. In the end i took Jack's advice and went with the SOG Powerlock. All it lacks from my wish list is a pocket clip but i have some ideas on making one.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User angusW's Avatar
    I carried a Wave for a couple years and a Leatherman TTi with S30V blade as well. They are very versatile, well built and a decent size but last year I got a SOG Powerlock and that is the one I carry for work. I love the ability of the SOG to be able to change the tools around and add or get rid of the bits that are not needed such as the blade. I really like it because I have a #2 Robertson bit in it. The Philips is a #1 which I don't understand so there are a lot of screws it won't fit in very well. I did contact them and they replied that they will look into adding a #2 Philips some time in the future. The compound leverage is really an outstanding feature for a multi-tool.

At first I didn't like the SOG because the handle covers seemed more inconvenient compared to the Leatherman but after a short time they are no big deal.
    Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    Congratulations on your SOG Powerlock! SOG would be my choice if Leatherman multi-tools didn't exist.

I've tried SOG's multi-tools to include the Powerlock and keep going back to Leatherman. The handle covers of the Powerlock can get in the way and be an issue, as noticed when I first tried them. And, the quality and function of the tools that come with a SOG multi-tool don't come close to what I can get from a Leatherman. Yes, being able to replace tools with what you want or as needed is a plus; however, I personally am not impressed with what SOG offers. In my book, Leatherman is the most innovative, has the best needle-nose pliers, and is, after all, the original inventor of the plier-based multi-tool.

I have the Leatherman Super Tool, Super Tool 200, and the Super Tool 300. The Super Tool 200 remains my favorite, although the Super Tool 300 does see some EDC time. The Super Tool 300 would meet you needs nicely. Yes, no scissors, and for me that's fine as the Super Tool 300 maintains the tradition of the Super Tool and Super Tool 200. For scissors, I have dedicated scissors in the Slip N Snip as well as the Leatherman Micra. I also have the Victorinox Explorer and the Leatherman Pulse, so I have all the scissor power I need without having to have a pair of scissors in my Super Tools. And, yes, there's the replaceable cutting jaws that the Leatherman 300 offers.

Also, with the Super Tool Original, 200, and 300, I can get the versatility of what the Leatherman Wave and Surge offer in terms of bit drivers by carrying the Leatherman Standard Tool Adapter or Universal Tool Adapter (respectively), and still maintain the better reach of the standard and Phillips screwdrivers.
    Last edited by Water Bug; 03-26-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    Spyderco WTC #1044

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by crm7290 View Post
    again look into the victorinox spirit. Mine is flawless. I know that they are held in extremely high esteem on other forums.
    +1

I'm undecided on the tool cover things...i snapped them off and squeezed real tight and it didn't feel any more harsh on my hand than any other multi i've used...and my thoughts are that with the compound gear plier you may not have to squeeze as hard as you usually do which may lend to a more comfortable grip...so they may be coming off. I'll give them a chance but if they become a bother it's not a big deal to pop them off.

I'm definitely not thrilled with the knife it came with...but after carrying Spydies who would be right? I'm already looking into swapping it out for the wire strippers.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I'm undecided on the tool cover things...i snapped them off and squeezed real tight and it didn't feel any more harsh on my hand than any other multi i've used...and my thoughts are that with the compound gear plier you may not have to squeeze as hard as you usually do which may lend to a more comfortable grip...so they may be coming off. I'll give them a chance but if they become a bother it's not a big deal to pop them off.

I'm definitely not thrilled with the knife it came with...but after carrying Spydies who would be right? I'm already looking into swapping it out for the wire strippers.
    I swapped my knife for a serrated blade because I never carry an EDC serrated blade and if I am carrying the PL I then have a serrated knife if I need it. I worked on telephone equipment for over 13 years and the wire strippers for the PL leave a lot to be desired (as wire stroppers go) IMO. They do work though in a pinch and any multi-tool is really designed to use when you don't have or can't carry the "real" tools for a given job. Plus if you know you won't be using the knife the wire strippers are a good choice because if you take something out you have to put something back. Does yours have a file? I've swapped the things in mine so much I don't remember what came with it originally. The file has a common screwdriver as the "tip" which I use a lot. It's easier to get to than the shorter common screwdrivers. The handle covers are NOT an issue for me at all. When you open the tool, just grab the cover that is on the bottom handle and pull it up with the top handle. That is how I open the tool when I need a tool that is inside the handle. I don't flip it open then try to get into the handle. By doing it my way you will have immediate access to the tools inside the handle you opened. With a little use you will remember which item is in which handle. I may have limited my experience with other multi-tools after getting the PL because I can't imagine wanting something else. I did get the PowerAssist to have easy access to knife blades without opening the tool but they are not really that durable and I always have another knife on me also. The two knife blades in the PowerAssist take up one handle limiting the number of tools by half that of the PL. Damn, here I go again. Love your PL and it will love you back.

Jack

PS
    Has anyone when flipping the PL open ever done it too hard and banged the knuckles with the flipping handle?

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    i think the supertool 300 has removable hardwire cutters
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Evil, now that you have the PowerLock, if you ever think you would like a second multi-tool the Byrdrench is a good choice.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=241

I have the SpydeRench but it is disnontinued. PL has needlenose pliers which work for me 90% of the time. Once in a while I want a standard adjustable wrence and the Spyderco ByrdRench has one and standard slip joint pliers as well. The main thing about the ByrdRench is that it uses standard screwdriver bits so you can carry any one you want (up to four).

The Spyderco multi-tool would never be my first choice of multi-tool for what I use one for and lacks most standard multi-tool components (can opener, scissors, etc.). It is however my first choice as a second multi-tool. With an adapter you can convert it to a socket driver since it does use 1/4" screwdriver bits. I've needed the 1/4" driver in the PL on several occasions. Using the 1/4" driver in the PL you can convert it to hold all 1/4" screwdriver bits also.

I have carried the Spyderco and SOG multi-tools at the same time and with both I've had virtually a toolbox on your belt. It's definately overkill for most EDC situations but some people could use both.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I forgot to mention (believe it or not) that the Spyderco multi-tool does have a pocket clip which for me is really nice. Even when I already have a knife and the SOG multi-tool on me, if I need to do something I need the SpyderRench for I can just throw it in my pocked and not need a sheath on my belt. Once again, Spyderco rules. Even though I consider the SpyderRench my "second" multi-tool I'd like to say they were creative enough to make one that is VERY different than most of what is already out there and I'm sure for some people's needs it is the "first" multi-tool.

I think I'm done talking about multi-tools for a while.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pneumothorax's Avatar
    Again look into the Victorinox Spirit. Mine is flawless. I know that they are held in extremely high esteem on other forums.
    In total agreement with you on this.
    2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
    2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    {snip} Damn, here I go again. Love your PL and it will love you back.

Jack

PS
    Has anyone when flipping the PL open ever done it too hard and banged the knuckles with the flipping handle?
    Yes you are doing it again

I've banged them a few times. The first time really wacked them good.

My Spydies

Again look into the Victorinox Spirit. Mine is flawless. I know that they are held in extremely high esteem on other forums.
    I've seen Archman's video on YT regarding the Spirit and he gives it high praise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QCB4...er_profilepage

My Spydies

I came close to getting the Supertool, but aside from not having scissors it was HUGE and the heaviest one i've picked up. I guess that's the price you pay for the size tools it has in it but like the review i read about it said, it lends itself better to someone who knows they will use a multi tool on a job on a daily basis, as opposed to someone who carries one just in case they might need a tool. I actually like the size of the Wave better but i didn't like the knives sticking out on the handles, and i don't like the screwdriver bits it comes with, and really the scissors were pretty wimpy compared to the Powerlock's scissors so the only thing the Wave had going for it was the pocket clip.

So i lost out on the removable wire cutters and i lost out on a pocket clip but i'll make due without those. I'm pretty sure i can make a pocket clip for the Powerlock.

~David

IF you ever had a Leather pST then you will think the Charge Tti is the cats pijamas. I have the version with the small bit kit and can't think of anything more that I want, but another kit exists at double the size. Very portable and it gets my vote.

Say, any recommendations for a multi tool WITHOUT a blade in it? I want one for my soon-to-be-8yr old son, for his birthday, but he is not really ready for live steel...
    Not Forgotten:
    LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
    MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
    Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?

Leatherman has several of their lineup out without knives in them because a lot of work places are starting no-blade policies. I would look through their site and pick one of those.

~David